Checking in from BankUnited Center where the 22nd-ranked Canes jumped out to a 17-0 lead on North Carolina A&T Sunday afternoon.
I took Saturday off and now realize I probably shouldn't have. Does news ever stop leaking out of The U?
C.J. Holton, a four-star RIvals.com recruit and safety from Crawfordville Wakulla High in Florida, switched his commitment from Florida State to Miami yesterday. I know. I'm the last one to report on this. But don't I deserve a free pass? I know. No free passes at The U.
Anyway, I'm working on getting an interview with C.J. later today. But I did speak to some folks at The U about him on my way into the basketball game. Coaches are certainly excited about getting C.J., whose mother actually works at Florida State. From what I've heard, he's been on UM coaches hard to get him since UM won at Florida State earlier this year and has simply been waiting for the right time to announce the switch knowing his family would catch a lot of heat for it in Seminole country. I can tell you Canes folks felt it was important to make sure Holton's interest in The U was kept on the down-low. Although his name surfaced here and there, they never mentioned him when I asked about remaining targets.
Anyway, I'll hold off on anything more until I speak with him. As for the basketball game...
- Jack McClinton did not start. But quickly came into the game moments later. Not sure what that was about.
- UM jumped out to a 17-0 lead before you could blink in this one. Brian Asbury had a nice start scoring the first two baskets.
- Steven Rush finally scored for A&T with 14:02 left in the first half. Until then, UM had more substitutions (6) than the Aggies had points (0).
- A&T started to climb back into the game and went on a 8-0 run because the Canes started missing too many three-pointers.
- Dwayne Collins has continued to play well off the bench, providing inside scoring, defense and rebounding. He's getting better.
- James Porter's field goal with 17:05 to play cut it to 47-32 -- the closest the game has been since UM opened on a 17-0 run.
- The Canes then went on a 18-4 run to pull away again.
- Jack McClinton, who has his buddy Heat forward Dorrell Wright in the stands watching him, has 17 points. James Dews has 16. This is another impressive blowout victory for UM.