Bring on the ACC. I'm here at BankUnited Center for UM's ACC-opener against Georgia Tech. I'll be here to give you my thoughts during the game as well as updates. Be sure to watch the game on TV and tune into 560 WQAM if you can't get to one.
But give me your thoughts here. UM is a 5-point favorite according to Las Vegas. I'd say that's about right. Georgia Tech's 7-7 record is a bit deceiving. The Yellow Jackets have lost 6 of their 7 games by nine points or less.
- 15:52 left, Ga. Tech 6, UM 4: Canes have come out looking a bit nervous here in the early going. They are rushing a lot of shots, trying to be aggressive. A lot of the shots simply aren't falling.
- 13:18 left, GT 14, UM 4: A nervous start has now officially turned into a horrendous start. The Hurricanes haven't hit a basket since Brian Asbury sunk a jumper with 17:30 left to give UM a 4-2 lead. Tech has gone on a 12-0 run and UM has missed everything it has put up.
- 11:15 left, GT 16, UM 7: Anthony King finally ended an 0-for-10 Hurricanes drought with a score inside and a foul. It made the score 14-7. Jack McClinton has attempted one shot up to this point. Not good for your leading scorer to not even attempt more than one shot up until now.
- 7:34 left, GT 22, UM 12: The Hurricanes have scored three points of their last five points on free throws. Turnovers and bad shots are killing them. Anthony Morrow has 10 points including the last three-pointer for the Yellow Jackets.
- 5:01 left, GT 22, UM 21: Is your adrenaline pumping yet? The Canes have gone on a 11-0 run to make it a game again. Georgia Tech has helped out. First Gani Lawal was called for a technical. Then coach Paul Hewitt was T'D up. ACC basketball. The BankUnited Center is finally feeling it. Give Jimmy Graham some credit for sparking this. He had a dunk, then a couple of nice post moves for baskets to get this rally going. The Canes are starting to take advantage in the post and it's creating baskets and opportunities.
- Halftime, UM 33, GT 31: It was a frantic finish into the break. Can't say enough about how much Jimmy Graham has contributed here with his offensive rebounds and put-backs. James Dews hit back-to-back jumpers to finally put UM up with 49.6 seconds left in the half. An impressive comeback to take the lead for UM considering how poorly it played early on.
KEY FIRST HALF NUMBERS -- FG%: UM 13-35 (37%), GT 12-29 (41%). REB: GT 21, UM 20. 2nd chance points: UM 14, GT 6. Leading scorers -- GT: J. Smith 10, Morrow 10; UM: Graham 9.
- 17:30 left, UM 37, GT 31: The Canes have clawed for two early baskets, an Asbury layup and McClinton lay-in to extend their lead a bit.
- 15:51 left, UM 41, Ga. Tech 37: Miami went 0 for 9 from three-point range in the first half and so far has missed its first three attempts from three-point range in the second. The Hurricanes had shot the ball extremely well from long-distance before today. The 10-day lay-off might have a little to do with it. But consider those numbers and the fact Miami is still winning this game, its a good sign.
- 11:55 left, UM 53, GT 45: Start sending your thank you letters to James Dews. After finally hitting a pair of baskets late in the first half, he's got the motor running. His three-pointer with 14:55 left ended an 0-13 UM 3-point draught. He's since followed it up with another three-pointer and runner to give Miami a bit of a comfortable lead. Dews leads the team with 14 points. Jimmy Graham has 11.
- 7:01 left, UM 59, GT 47: A lot of sloppy basketball in the last five minutes. Jack McClinton just looks uncomfortable out there. He's put up lots of bad shots. The story today has been the play of Jimmy Graham and James Dews. Both have hit some big shots. Let's see if the Hurricanes can hold on to this 12-point lead.
- 5:45 left, UM 63, GT 56: We are getting down to the nitty-gritty and two of UM's lightning rods today are on the bench. Graham has four fouls. Dews left with 5:52 with an apparent left leg injury. He's being looked at on the bench.
- 1:57 left, UM 71, GT 63: It looks like this one is going to come down to free throws the rest of the way -- and if UM can protect the ball and not turn it over.
- :58.5 left, UM 73, GT 63: Jack McClinton hit an important runner with 1:26 left to basically ice it. Looks like UM is going to come awaty with this game with what it was supposed to -- a 14-1, 1-0 ACC record.