Checking in from BankUnited Center where the Canes are set to take on Carolina tonight at 9 p.m. The student section has come out in force and have been sitting for more than two hourse before tip-off. My take: It's about dang time.
I'll give you my thoughts as usual as the game progresses.
Just a couple of notes...
- I spoke to someone at UM this afternoon who tells me they expect the four Northwestern kids -- defensive tackle Marcus Forston, receiver Aldarius Johnson, quarterback Jacory Harris and linebacker Sean Spence -- to begin class tomorrow. That being said Harris' father Rodney Harris told me yet again this afternoon he and his family had yet to hear from UM. I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow. The person I spoke to at UM also told me not to expect Jordan Futch to enroll early anymore and that Futch will likely sign up for summer classes in May.
- I also spoke to Pahokee coach Blaze Thompson this afternoon about defensive tackle Micanor Regis, who is definitely headed to UM and receiver Martavious Odoms who will visit The U this weekend. Thompson calls Regis (6-4, 300) a complete and total beast and says Miami is getting about as an athletic big man as there is. He said Regis started both ways for Pahokee and took off between 10-15 plays the whole year. Maybe we can call him the anti-Antonio Dixon.
- As for Odoms, Thompson told me Odoms has UM at the top of his list and simply wants to go to a program where he can be on the field and part of a spread-type offense. He said UM coaches have told him they are contemplating running more spread sets next season. Odoms also has South Florida and West Virginia high on his list.
- FYI, The Herald is launching a ton of recruiting coverage tomorrow for the two weeks leading up to National Signing Day. I've compiled the national, state, South Florida, Dade and Broward rankings for players and it will all be posted online along with lots of audio interviews. Aside from my interview with Blaze Thompson, I also spoke with Ohio State-bound linebacker Etienne Sabino this afternoon. Anyway, look for a ton of recruiting coverage over the next two weeks.
- I've been told Udonis Haslem, Dwayne Wade and Dorrell Wright are in the house. Haven't seen them yet. But they are supposed to be here. It's definitely a loud gym tonight, more so than I've ever experienced in covering this team for two years.
- 15:05 left, UNC 13, UM 10: Well, for those of you worried about the Canes having a hangover from Saturday's loss, they sure haven't played like it. The problem is for all the good things UM has done early, UNC still has the lead. Ray Hciks has four points to lead UM early. Ty Lawson's three-pointer gave UNC its first lead at 7-6.
- 13:44 left, UNC 15, UM 10: Just spotted Edgerrin James waiting on the sideline. Canes are turning the ball over too much here.
- 11:25 left, UNC 18, UM 13: I'd like to welcome Brian Asbury back to the team. His three-pointer with 11:45 left ended a 7-0 UNC run. Turnovers are killing UM early. Anthony King has made two bad passes that have eld to turnovers already including an inexcusable one over the head of James Dews.
- 6:14 left, UNC 29, UM 27: Miami pieced together a 10-run and took a 20-18 on a Ray Hicks lay-in with 8:35 left. An Asbury three-pointer extended UM's lead to 23-20. But UNC has climbed back ahead behind Ty Lawson, who left tread marks on Edwin Rios' back on a three-pointer and layup. Miami's big men -- Dwayne Collins and Anthony King -- both have two fouls now. Jimmy Graham limped off the court with 8:56 left after appearing to tweak his ankle.
- 3:36 left, UNC 36, UM 32: There are only so many opportunties you can give UNC before they shoot you down. The Heels just had a series where they grabbed four offensive rebounds. Eventually, Lawson went to the line and hit two free throws. Miami is hanging tough. But they aren't going to win unless they can secure boards and take care of the basketball.
- :38.1 left, UNC 44, UM 40: Whoever kidnapped the old Ray Hicks and replaced him with this new one deserves a reward. Hicks has 14 points and is pacing UM, which is doing just enough to hang with UNC.
- Halftime, UNC 47, UM 40: Well, if UM was hoping to win this with defense -- they aren't. The Hurricanes
- 14:19 left, UNC 59, UM 50: Miami simply can't keep playing at this rate. They can't run with Carolina all night. The defense has to start digging down and making stops or Carolina is simply going to run Miami off the court. Eventually, Hicks, Asbury and Hurdle are going to cool down.
- 13:01 left, UNC 64, UM 52: The more I keep watching Hansborough the more I keep picturing the character from MadTV... "I don't wanna."
- 11:36 left, UNC 66, UM 54: The Tar Heels have just so many weapons. Lawson eats you up with his speed. Hansborough is such a tough inside scorer. The Canes have played valiantly, but five points from Jack McClinton isn't going to keep Miami in this game.
- 7:44 left, UNC 73, UM 62: The Hurricanes have fought hard all game. But it feels like everytime they are on the verge of starting a run, they make a mistake, a turnover to shoot themselves in the foot.