We're back for Round 2 of the NCAA Tournament today with a huge game against the Texas Longhorns. As usual, I'll be here to provide updates as the game progresses and to talk hoops with you below as Miami tries to pull off one of its biggest wins in program history.
Here are my keys to today's game...
- Slow down Texas' dangerous backcourt combination of D.J. Augustin and A.J. Abrams. You aren't going to stop these guys cold, but if you can force them to work hard for their points that probably means you are in the game.
- Dominate the boards. Texas leads the nation with the fewest turnovers -- which means they aren't going to make a whole lot of mistakes. You can't let them get too many extra chances.
- Find someone to help Jack. Dwayne Collins has been MIA for three weeks. Whether its him or not, Miami needs someone in the post to take some pressure off Jack McClinton, who will be closely guarded by Jason Mason, one of the best defensive guards in the country.
- Make those free throws. Jack hasn't missed one in March, but his teammates have been a little sluggish lately.
- Do not start off slow. Miami is famous for its slow starts. But that has to stop today. Texas' defense is one of the best in the country. The Longhorns have won 13 of their last 15 with great defense. In Texas' six losses, UT has allowed 81.5 ppg and 49% field goal shooting. In their wins, 607. ppg on 37% field goal shooting.
If you guys need a warm up for the game and want to hear what both teams were saying yesterday, here is a link to our audio section. Click on the link to listen on what each guy was saying. Here's also a friendly reminder to check out NCAA Sports.com (I'm required to do so).
I'll be back once the game gets underway.
- 13:51 left, Texas 19, UM 8: The Longhorns have turned into the bombers. Texas has five three-pointers early on here as Frank Haith has gone with the zone defense. He might want to rethink that. Anthony King scored six points for UM early and his jumper with 16:32 tied the score at 8. But the Longhorns have gone on a 11-0 run and when we come back Dwayne Collins will be at the line shooting two. Jack McClinton is 0 for 2.
- 10:55 left, Texas 26, UM 14: I hope as you are watching this game you can appreciate how hard it is to be good in college basketball. The Canes pulled to within 21-14 on a Ray Hicks drive, but the lead quickly stretched back out to double digits on a Dexter Pittman stickback and Justin Mason three-pointer.
- 6:38 left, Texas 35, UM 26: The Canes are still fighting hard here. McClinton has hit a pair of threes. Heck, even Eddie Rios got into the act. Miami still has to clamp down defensively if it wants to win today.
- 3:52 left, Texas 41, UM 28: Miami had a chance moments ago to trim its deficit to five after a Jimmy Graham steal. But the Canes turned it over and Texas hit its eighth and ninth three-pointers of the half to go up 13 again.
- 1:01 left, Texas 41, UM 30: Looks like the offenses got tired. Jimmy Graham has the only point in the last few minutes. Let's start talking about what UM has to do to come back in this... play defense? Get McClinton going? Take advantage of its bigs abilities to score in the post?
- 15:33 left, Texas 49, UM 36: Texas opened the second half on a 6-1 run to stretch its lead to 16 before James Dews answered with a three-pointer with 15:51 left. This isn't what Miami has to do to win this game. Will we even see a UM run? How about McClinton?
- 11:52 left, Texas 58, UM 43: Longhorns are now 13 of 22 from three-point range.