I'm here at BankUnited Center for today's important ACC showdown between the Canes and Virgnia. I'll be here as usual to provide my thoughts on the game as it progresses. We were delayed for a little more than half hour because of a problem with one of the baskets. The game is supposed to get started without a national anthem or player intros around 2:35 p.m.
In the meantime, I'll start compiling my notes from today's football practice. I got a chance to speak with receiver Leonard Hankerson, offensive guard Chris Barney, fullback Patrick Hill, cornerback Chavez Grant and of course coach Randy Shannon. I'm in the process of uploading the audio interviews now. I'll let you know once it is up. Remember to check out all of the audio I collect on our UM audio page (it is the complete, unedited, raw interview I conduct with players and coaches).
- 15:00 left, UM 11, Virginia 8: Well, Frank Haith told us yesterday he wanted Dwayne Collins to get more touches. So far, he's been on the money. Collins has six points on 3-of-4 shooting and Miami has offset a pair of three-pointers by Sean Singletary to take an early 11-8 lead.
- 11:38 left, UM 14, Virginia 12: Haith switched four starters out except Jack McClinton after the last time out. Miami struggled offensively a bit before Eddie Rios drove the lane and found an open Jimmy Graham for a dunk.
- 7:53 left, UM 20, Virginia 15: Virginia has set it sights on stopping Collins in the paint, but he's found a running mate -- Jimmy Graham. Graham has a dunk and a driving layup and will go to the free throw line now after the time out.
- 3:05 left, Virginia 31, UM 30: The Cavaliers have started to drain threes. Jamil Tucker's third of the half has given Virginia a 1-point lead here with 3:21 to play. It's been a tough day so far for Jack McClinton and Brian Asbury shooting the basketball.
- 51.4 left, Virginia 39, UM 35: Tucker has gone from three-point shooter to official pain in the neck for the Canes. His dunk just gave the Cavs their biggest lead of the game at 4 points.
- Halftime, Virginia 39, UM 35: The key to the Cavaliers first half success -- 2nd chance points and bench points. Virginia has outscored UM 8-1 in 2nd chances and has 23 points off its bench compared to UM's 17. 13 of those bench points came from sophomore forward Jamil Tucker, who has already matched his career high in points. UM got 10 points from Jimmy Graham, 8 from McClinton, 6 from Collins and 5 from Eddie Rios.
- 14:56 left, Virginia 47, UM 46: Miami trailed by as many as six points before Eddie Rios jump started UM's offense with a couple of nice passes for baskets. But Sean Singletary, who has 16 points, will go to the line with a chance to put Virginia up 2 after this timeout.
- 12:06 left, UM 60, Virginia 55: Hello and welcome to the Jack McClinton show. After scoring just 6 points in the first half -- McClinton has turned into McClutch again. Starting with a left handed layup with 15:14 to go, he scored 14 consecutive points -- including hit three three-pointers to give UM the lead. Singletary counterbalanced it with his own run of points. So far, Jack 22, Sean 21. |
- 10:34 left, UM 72, Virginia 57: I've seen guys get hot before. But this is ridiculous. McClinton has now scored 22 points in a span of less than five minutes. He's got 30 points and Miami has an impressive lead.
- 7:53 left, UM 75, Virginia 64: Virginia went on a 7-0 run before Lance Hurdle answered with a three-pointer as the shot clock was expiring with 8:19 left to play.
- 2:58 left, UM 84, Virginia 77: Miami has managed to hit a couple of big threes during the latest span at the buzzer. Dews hit one as the shot clock expired with 6:58 to go. Singletary, meanwhile, has kept the Cavs close. He's got 30 points now. McClinton has 31.
- 1:23 left, UM 91, Virginia 87: The Hurricanes just had a 10-point lead 23 seconds ago. But Singletary, who now has 38 points, has hit back-to-back three-pointers to give the Cavs a shot here late.
- :4.3 left, UM 94, Virginia 92: This place got real quiet after Laurynas Mikalauskas completed a three-point play to pull Virginia within 91-90 moments ago. Then Lance Hurdle hit a three-pointer from the left win to give Miami a four-point cushion before Singletary hit a layup with 4.3 seconds left. Now, its about hitting free throws and holding on for this win.
- :3.3 left, UM 95, Virginia 92: McClinton was only able to convert 1-of-2 from the line. Yikes!