« Quick postgame update | Main | This and that: Bryce, Bowling, Baseball »

TRR: '09 class impressed by effort in Swamp

In case you missed our first episode of The Recruit Report, this is a new weekly feature I've added to our Eye On The U lineup to keep Canes fans in tune with what future recruits are doing at the high school level.

As many of you know, coach Randy Shannon told reporters Sunday he was thrilled by the number of phone calls he received from recruits after his team's 26-3 loss to fifth-ranked Florida in the Swamp. Tonight, I spoke to three members of UM's current 2009 recruiting class -- Wichita running back Bryce Brown, Plantation cornerback Brandon McGee, and Hialeah American defensive end Olivier Vernon -- who all said they liked what they saw from the Canes.

"Honestly, I think national championship in a year or two," McGee said. "That defense Brandon_mcgeeis sick. [Robert] Marve did pretty well. I just think the fact their still young and already doing those things should tell everybody we'll be the real deal soon. As time goes on, we'll get better. When I went to school today, some of my teammates were ragging on me. But UF did what it was supposed to do. I definitely think Miami impressed a lot of people with the outcome of the game. It was only 9-3 in the fourth quarter. If Florida is supposed to be that good, I can't wait to see what happens when our guys grow up."

Brown, the younger brother of Canes freshman linebacker Arthur Brown, said he watched the game live at home and was just as impressed as the rest of UM's current commitments. "I think the future is promising for Miami. I was very impressed with the defense," Brown said. "I thought offensive wise, coach [Patrick] Nix did a good job with the playcalling. The running backs need to be more confident, establish themselves more and some guys dropped some passes. But they'll get that fixed in practice. Definitely, anybody that knows football knows Miami is going to be a great team in the future. I think they're more ahead than they are supposed to be. They are definitely impressing me. I'm just excited and can't wait to get there."

I'll have more to share with you tomorrow from my conversation with Bryce -- including why he changed his official trip to UM from this coming weekend to December and why he'll be visiting TCU instead. But for now, here's how the Canes' future did in high school last week.

Bryce_brown_2> Bryce Brown, RB, 6-0, 215, Wichita East, Kan.: Brown's season got off to a great start with a 33-7 win over Wichita North in which he ran the ball 22 times for 146 yards and three touchdowns. It was his first game without big brother Arthur, but also his first game in a new spread offense without a lead blocker according to the Wichita Eagle. "I learned a lot tonight," Brown told the newspaper. "I learned, with the spread offense, you've got to be patient. I was trying to press it and do the things that I'm used to doing, like getting outside real fast. But with the field spread wide, you've got to be a little more patient."

> A.J. Highsmith, QB, 6-0. 186, Fort Bend (TX) Hightower: The son of former Hurricane running back Alonzo Highsmith had a bye last week. But if you want to check out how he does all season, just visit his team page at The Houston Chronicle.

Mike_james > Mike James, RB, 5-11, 211, Davenport Ridge: After an impressive kickoff classic victory two weeks ago, James followed it up a solid outing in a 27-0 win over Avon Park. According to The Lakeland Ledger, James ran 116 yards on 18 carries with two touchdowns. He also had 38 receiving yards.

> Prince Kent, ATH, 6-3, 195, Norcross (GA): Norcross didn't play last week. They had a bye. But I did find out how Kent did in his first two games thanks to the team's booster website. In a season-opening loss 21-6 loss to Camden, Kent hauled in 8 passes for 83 yards. In a 24-17 win against South Gwinnett two weeks ago, Kent had 3 catches for 73 yards. He also starts at safety in the secondary.

> Brandon McGee, DB, 5-11, 186, Plantation High:
McGee's days as a two-way player may finally be over. The emergence of Immoni Carswell at quarterback allowed McGee last week to play strictly at cornerback for the first time in his career. In Plantation's 40-7 win over South Broward, McGee had four tackles and two pass breakups. "I only had two passes thrown my way and had one reception in front of me during a Cover 3," McGee said. "I think I'm doing quite well. Corner is kind of natural to me. I'm just getting the defensive instincts down."

> Stephen Plein, TE, 6-6, 240, Fort Myers High: The Green Wave opened their season with a 14-7 win against Lehigh at home. Not a word on Plein in the Fort Myers News-Press.

> Curtis Porter, DT, 6-2, 334, Charlotte Victory Christian: Tropical Storm Hanna canceled Porter's game against North Hampton last Friday night. Here's what else the Charlotte Observer reported.

> Luther Robinson, DT, 6-3, 280, Fort Pierce Westwood: Robinson's team pulled off an impressive 21-19 win against Vero Beach according to TCPalm.com.

> Billy Sanders, TE, 6-4, 235, Lake City Coueru d'Alene, Idaho: Sanders, who moved from Phoenix Brophy Prep to Idaho, lost his first game of the season 33-17 according to IdahoSports.com.

> Olivier Vernon, DE, 6-3, 239, Hialeah American: The Patriots suffered a disappointing 30-24 loss to Coral Reef. Vernon, who said he might play some linebacker this season, lined up only at defensive end. Olivier_vernon He said he had sack, blocked field goal and a handful of tackles. "We came out flat-footed," Vernon said. "I guess we deserved that loss." Vernon said his father recorded Miami's game against Florida and he watched it on Sunday. "I wasn't surprised. I knew it would be a good game. The freshmen came in -- especially Sean Spence -- they looked good." Vernon said other schools are still coming after him hard and he's decided to schedule official visits to Alabama on Dec. 12 and South Florida on Dec. 5. But he says he still is committed to Miami and likes the fact so many freshmen are getting a chance to play. "I know for sure I can get out there and get some playing time," Vernon said.

> Cory White, TE, 6-5, 234, Fleming Island: White's team opened the season with an impressive 31-6 victory against Middleburg. White didn't catch any balls at tight end and played the entire night at tackle. Here is a link to the team's website.

PROGRAMMING NOTES: I'll be hosting my live Q&A Tuesday at 1 p.m. There is now a permanent link on the blog in the upper left hand corner so its easier for you to find. See you tomorrow.

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Just think 10 years ago you where on the same where on the same level of CFB as Vandy.

Posted by: AtlantaCane

Another cane rocket scientist...they're everywhere.

It's okay ...we remember when you "where" good.

PROOFREAD YOUR COPY EINSTEIN

Wait...nevermind. You're consistently one of the major dumba s s e s

on this blog. No use.

Here is a good site to check in on from time to time when it comes to recruits:

http://www.recruitingplanet.com

Oh come on a few type O's doesn't mean S H I T.

Like you haven't done the very same thing. Truth is you can't go back to correct of edit this is after all typepad.


Aside from the 96 and 06 what is Florida's claim to fame? You might as well be the Vandy of the SEC nationally. Don't give me that crap about Hesiman either one man doesn't make a team..... wait unless that team is UF then, I guess I am wrong.

What's the difference from this UF team and last years? Nothing the leading rushers are still the QB and a WR.

Attacking my mistakes makes for a great come back.



Honestly I think everyone on here that responds to you Salad tosser makes us all a little bit dimmer.

Honestly I think everyone on here that responds to you Salad tosser makes us all a little bit dimmer.

Posted by: AtlantaCane

Great RESPONSE Einstein

Like I said before, you're one of the dimmer bulbs on this blog.

I think we're missing the point on this late field goal.

I say "thank you" to Urban Meyer for sending his first team out in that situation and trying to score a touchdown. It gave our defense a chance to show, once and for all, that this is a different team than last season.

Even though their chance to win was gone, and the players had every reason to slack off and just play out the string, (sound familiar?) they accepted the challenge and stopped the gators cold on three straight plays. They showed more heart, and determination on those 3 plays, than they have in the last 3 years combined.

The gators wanted a touchdown, but had to settle for 3 because the Canes' defense said "NO!" Kicking the field goal was an acknowledgment of defeat by meyer.

How 'bout them CANES!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/university%20of%20florida/Candleladykim/gaytors.jpg?o=12

GO GAYTORS!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gator%20fans/WillApplebee/Gatorfans.jpg?o=15

YEEEEEHHAAAAAAW!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LOVE THAT ISRAEL FELLA!!!

Weren't these guys on the last episode of COPS?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gator%20fans/reymannp/GatorFans.jpg?o=3

When you get some free time Manny be sure to tell IG how much his writing sucks and that if he wants to write pro-Urban Cryer pieces he should go write for the Gaineville Sun.

This one is for Israel

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gator%20fans/bristar56/gators_suck.jpg?o=1

Posted by: Mephistopheles

Well said sir, an intelligent response. I agree with you except for the part about Meyer acknowledging defeat. He wasn't acknowledging anything, he was running his offense. That's what he's paid to do. But you're right, good job cane D which did a good job almost all night long.

You're wrong about Meyer but you're no salad tosser like that DOLT Atlantacane.


Posted by: Orange and Green Alliance
WAHHHHHHHH. I.G pointed out what a whiner your coach is now he's evil. MORON. There are about 10 reasons why that field goal was nothing to whine about. Grow a set.


Posted by: GainesvilleMullet
Posting silly photo bucket images is about as unoriginal as Nix's offense. NO ONE links to that stupid c r a p. Not even canes fans. Get a new schtick.

No one said he was evil you mullet wearing Jethro. I said his writing sucks and I'm right. He could've done some research and pointed out the fact that this rivalry was just a hold over from the recruiting trails where these two have been competing like never before. He could've pointed out the fact the Urban Cryer was singing a similar tune after Georgia danced in the end zone last year. He could've also pointed out the fact the numerous coaches across the country also despise Cryer and his snake-oil salesman tactics. He didn't do any of this. He just wrote off the top of his empty dome a garbage filled piece full of bias against Shannon while praising the coach of his alma mater. He's a D-bag and he's gonna end up in the same category as Le Be Turd if he keeps it up.

WOW GO GATURDS!,

I would normally apologize for offending someone but in this case I will not. The photobucket links were intended for UM fans on this blog. If you didn't like it too bad. I have a novel idea for you. Why dont you go to a UF blog and quit crying like a cameltoe. You seem to care too much about what Cane fans are writing on a CANE BLOG so go to one of your Gayturd blogs and cry on the shoulder of your toothless friends.

Posted by: Orange and Green Alliance

WAHHHHHHHHH. I.G. didn't stroke your coach and you're all in a huff.

GROW A SET

You're hatred for Urban Meyer is bordering on sad. If UF was nobodies playing in the Big East you wouldn't care one bit about him. But since UF is WAY better than UM, it chafes you. Don't hate on Meyer because your PROGRAM is in shambles. It makes you look really small. And having Randy Shannon as your coach is the best reason why you shouldn't be taking shots at ANY other coach. Fire that guy quickly.

"Don't hate on Meyer because your PROGRAM is in shambles"

UF is one injury away from being in shambles your nothing without your precious Tim Teblow.

So the best you can come up with is salad tosser?

Wait who is the dolt me or some P U S S Y gator fan talk S H I T on a UM blog?

Look it's not my fault that Florida hasn't won more national titles in the 106 years it's been around. Like I said before Florida could be so lucky as to have been to as many National titles games as UM has (let alone win as many). Don't come out me with personal attacks debate me on the facts. Those facts are no matter how you spin it UF isn't half the college football program UM has been or ever will be.

Where have I been wrong? I want facts not some opinion from some gator fan. Compare the two football programs who has accomplished more?

O and G, just to clarify, meyer accepted defeat on that drive, not on the game. (obviously) My point was, he desperately wanted to score more points, and he knew that he would not beat the Canes on 4th down so he took the 3.

think we're missing the point on this late field goal.

I say "thank you" to Urban Meyer for sending his first team out in that situation and trying to score a touchdown. It gave our defense a chance to show, once and for all, that this is a different team than last season.

Even though their chance to win was gone, and the players had every reason to slack off and just play out the string, (sound familiar?) they accepted the challenge and stopped the gators cold on three straight plays. They showed more heart, and determination on those 3 plays, than they have in the last 3 years combined.

The gators wanted a touchdown, but had to settle for 3 because the Canes' defense said "NO!" Kicking the field goal was an acknowledgment of defeat by meyer.

How 'bout them CANES!

Posted by: Mephistopheles | September 10, 2008 at 01:41 PM

So I was thinking, since the gaytors shouldnt have been passing at this point in time anyway, would it have been justified if say we took tebows knee out? Would've proved a point wouldnt it have?

"would it have been justified if say we took tebows knee out"

The season's still young

SHUT UP GATORS AND NOLES.. MATTER FACT EVERY OTHER UNIVERSITY,,, THER IS ONLY ONE U THAT MATTERS..
DESPITE FALLING ON HARD TIMES, THE U STILL TOPS IN THE NFL

By Ben Volin | Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 12:11 PM


Though the University of Miami football team has seen better days, the program still rules the NFL.

The NFL announced Wednesday that The U has the most players in the league, for the third consecutive season. Miami has 44 players on NFL rosters, following 42 in 2006 and 46 in 2007.

And Florida colleges continue to dominate the NFL landscape. Florida State is second on the list with 37 players, and Florida is 10th with 30.

The top 10 most-represented schools in the league:

Miami — 44
Florida State — 37
Georgia — 36
Michigan — 36
Ohio State — 36
LSU — 35
Tennessee — 34
Texas — 34
USC — 32
Florida — 30
The league also breaks it down by position.

Not surprisingly, Miami has the most tight ends in the NFL (four) and linebackers (nine).

Do the jorts fit better with a bulldogs foot in your A S S. This is truly priceless well worth watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTpbvXlJySg

This is why you suck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc-2EGPQNVM

cote + israel = amateur mullet head sports writers!

TRUE STORY!!! ISRAEL G. GAVE A FEMALE FRIEND OF MINE HERPES AT UF!!!

« 1 2 3

The comments to this entry are closed.