« Duke Keys to the Game, Market Watch | Main | Duke progress report »

Gameday blog: UM 49, Duke 31 (F)

Huge, huge, huge, huge win for the Canes today. Trailing 24-14 in the third quarter, the Canes score 35 unanswered points behind freshman quarterback Jacory Harris, who finished 18 of 28 for 182 yards, four touchdowns and 2 INTs.

Jacory_harris2> There's no doubt the big story now becomes does coach Randy Shannon send Jacory back to the bench in favor of starter Robert Marve. Shannon has said all along Marve would be the starter all year. But the facts are facts and Jacory is the reason UM won today. What is your take? Should Jacory replace Marve as the starter? I believe he should. He's playing better right now than Marve.

> That's one story. The other: Offensive coordinator Patrick Nix had the bounce-back game he was sorely looking for. Despite a shaky first half, he made the proper adjustments and even threw in a few wrinkles to get the offense going. The no-huddle attack in the second half was huge and set Duke back. Do the Canes now go with the no-huddle from here on out? And, is Nix now free of the wrath of Canes fans? Well, maybe for a week.

> Go-to receiver? How about freshman Aldarius Johnson. He caught 8 passes for 84 yards and a touchdown and definitely showed why he and Harris were such a great tandem in high school. Their chemistry was amazing and basically fueled UM's comeback.

> How about UM's defense? They made the key stops when needed in the second half. Duke quarterback Thaddeus Lewis made some plays in the first half, but the defense stepped up big-time in the second half and got the pressure it needed to knock Lewis and his receivers off their game. They also were good on third down, stopping Duke on 11 of 17 attempts.

> On a side note, UM improved to 1-2 in the ACC. Also good news, North Carolina lost to Virginia to fall to 1-2 in the conference. That's the help the Canes needed to try and leapfrog the Tar Heels in the division. Virginia Tech (2-0) and Georgia Tech (3-1) are still ahead. But UM controls its own fate against those teams as well as Virginia (2-1). All the Canes need is for the Hokies to drop a game tonight to BC and UM can win its way into the ACC title game.

DukeIn case you didn't know, I was not on the travel squad for Duke. Susan Miller Degnan and Jeff Shain will be there for us today. But I was out at the BankUnited Center this morning with about 150 fans and a few other reporters for the Hoopfest. Here's a link to the audio interviews from today with Frank Haith, Katie Meier, Jack McClinton, Dwayne Collins, Brian Asbury and Jimmy Graham.

A couple of quick notes from today's Hoopsfest:
Jack_mcclinton> Jack McClinton talked about winning a national championship. McClinton really believes the Canes can make a deep run with this team. Jimmy Graham told me McClinton is even better than last season. "I feel like Jack can just continue what he did last year and just do it the whole season from the beginning tip down in that tournament that we have to go to and the NCAA tournament," Graham said. "Those last couple of games, he was penetrating a lot more and doing his little flutter deal a lot more. I feel like your going to see a lot more of that this year because people are playing his shot. He's going to take what they give him this year."

Jimmy_graham> As for Graham, he wants to be lighter this season. He said he's starting this season at 250 pounds instead of 265 so he can be more athletic. We asked him if UM will be OK this season replacing Anthony King and Ray Hicks with Cyrus McGowan, Julian Gamble and Reggie Johnson. "Julian Gamble is a big man. He's got a big wide body, attacks the glass," Graham said. "Cyrus McGowan is going to be a great player. He's a 6-9 guy who can shoot the three. He plays defense like I do. It's fun playing with him. King and Ray were great players for us. Cyrus is definitely going to help fill that gap and so is Julian. I feel like we have the same strength as last year, if not a little better."

> The Canes have been practicing for two days and a few guys are already banged up. Collins strained his groin Friday and bruised his hip with a fall Saturday. Guard James Dews had to be given an IV by Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue after he cramped up Saturday. He came back and did sign autographs for fans. Redshirt freshman center Julian Gamble was injured Friday and was on crutches Saturday. Haith said he doesn't believe the injury will be extensive.

Dequan_jones> Freshman swingman DeQuan Jones is receiving high praise from his teammates. Collins said he's having fun playing above the rim with Jones, who was called by McClinton and Asbury as a great finisher around the basket. "DeQuan is a beast. He's real athletic. As a freshman, he dunks a lot," Collins said. "You know me. I'm into dunking. That's all we do. He's mainly on my team in scrimmages. Yesterday he threw me an alley-oop. I returned the favor and threw him one."

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Jacory looked GREAT leading the Canes downfield.

He needs to play the entire second half to see what he can do.

GO CANES, BEAT DUKE!!!

MARVE STRUGGLES AT TIMES, BUT LOOKS LIKE AN ALL AMERICAN TOO... HE'S YOUNG AND HAS HAD MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO MAKE MISTAKES THAN HARRIS.. ITS A TOUGH CALL BOTH QB'S SHOULD BE GREAT, BUT U CAN;T BAIL ON MARVE JUST YET.. HE SHOWS ENOUGH, HE JUST HAS TO STOP FORCING THROWS... MARVE HAS NOT LEARNED THAT A SACK OR INCOMPLETION IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD

If I'm Randy Shannon, I'm playing Jacory Harris in the second half. Robert Marve wants to keep taking chances and throwing INTs, I show him what it is I want from a guy like Harris.

sad attempt to control and ruin this blog
I will post a link to C_________ content

Posted by: 86Cane | October 18, 2008 at 04:22 PM

I'll post the link here (with Manny's permission)

Posted by: 86Cane | July 29, 2008 at 09:27 PM

may it please the court ...
exhibit A ...

ENOUGH ROPE TO HANG YOURSELF

Herbal, not disagreeing, just saying that the team needs a change right now. When I saw Marve play his first few games I thought he was the next coming of Ken Dorsey but he is obviously experiencing some growing pains.
He will continue to learn and be a good QB but right now the team needs a spark and JH needs his shot.

I agree stick with Jacory till he shows you he can't get it done. This team seems to play better with him at qb. 2 The coaches need to just get some confidence in there fresman wr's and give them a chance to play alot. Aldarius johnson, travis benjamin are easily the top 2 wr's on this team when the ball is in there area they usually catch it. They may make some mistakes in route running but the only way to change that is experiance.

I have been playing nice because I had invited the UM athletic department and ticket office to snoop around here. I even offered FREE advertising, but they will not even return my emails.

Posted by: 86Cane | April 13, 2008 at 02:52 PM

PERSONA NON GRATA

JACORY TO START 2ND HALF-WQAM

documented liar, thief, plagiarist, parasite, megalomaniac, libeler, creep ...
ALL-AROUND SCUMBAG

OK, Green, three more...Thanks!

Manny...what's up? Canes trailing by three but with the momentum. Harris MUST stay in the game!

its ova, i ain't gotta say no mo

Jacory Interception Cannon Smith Time LOL

Is that Marve or Jacory in there... WOW... what do you say?

lol moe

marve must have consulted harris at halftime

Green here is another one for U:

http://canespace.typepad.com/canespace/2008/09/two-steps-forwa.html

SUPER COOP MAKES A PLAY

TOUCHDOWN JACORY HARRIS.

northwestern all over again

TD Jacory!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets go... keep sparking ! The kid is special and has such a feel for the game!

NIce drive Jacory Harris

mohawk in da house negga

U guys will never give Marve a chance to prove himself.He's a redshirt freshman who also ran the spread in high school. Shannon has created this mess.

OK, Green, here's another:

http://canespace.typepad.com/canespace/2008/09/umaa-game-watch.html

kyle wright was the national player of the year as well. so what has marve shown. some freshman, redshirt or not do not need time to grow. stop makin excuses for marve.

jh is getting it done

I have been playing nice because I had invited the UM athletic department and ticket office to snoop around here. I even offered FREE advertising, but they will not even return my emails.

Posted by: 86Cane | April 13, 2008 at 02:52 PM

PERSONA NON GRATA

LOSING TO DUKE!!!!! BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA


PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH RANDY SHANNON!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!


DUKE BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAA

UNCREDENTIALED

documented liar, thief, plagiarist, parasite, megalomaniac, libeler, creep ...
ALL-AROUND SCUMBAG

must be a fake gator fan

Not a fair comparison,Marve's only played in a handful of games.He's not a local kid and wasn't promised anything when he arrived at the U.

dvd's new nickname is hvs

he is a chump and needs to catch some pine

was kyle wright local you herb

promises are lies anyway. earn your way in life. nothing is easy and marve had the nod and should lose it

With all our 4 - 5 star players against their 1 - 2 star players, we should be up by at least 14 in this game, regardless of how young this team is.

I keep saying this team just doesn't look motivated, or well prepared. This team should progress every week, not regress.

Duke is just soooo much more experienced. Miami is too young.

Give Randy Shannon a 10 year extension NOW!!!!

Game after game, week after week I see this team getting worse not better. Offsides, missed tackles, being blown off the line, shagged punts, etc. This is Duke boys and girls, DUKE! How far we have fallen that we are now the desired opponent for homecoming!
Please stop telling me these are Coker's players. I seem to recall UM consistently recruited a top 20 class every year Coker was there. North Carolina's Butch Davis has been on the job the same amount of time as Shannon, with one difference-EXPERIENCE.

Here's a pic for U green. Post one of your own:

http://canespace.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/07/uf_game_030.jpg

I have been playing nice because I had invited the UM athletic department and ticket office to snoop around here. I even offered FREE advertising, but they will not even return my emails.

Posted by: 86Cane | April 13, 2008 at 02:52 PM

UNCREDENTIALED

Keep Urban Meyer... he'll be just like Coker. Meyer won a title with Zook's players just like Coker with Butch's players!!!!!!!

not when shannon makes them to local kids from miami; giving harris pt is B.S.; This team is going nowhere this year.Marve will end up transferring,which is what you people want.

Here U go Green another, four more to follow:

http://canespace.typepad.com/canespace/2008/09/game-day-blog-m.html

Manny interviewed Jacory 3 weeks ago and it was clearly stated that he was not promised anything... check your facts

ALDARIUS JOHNSON....TOUCHDOWN FROM JACORY HARRIS
28-24

I have been playing nice because I had invited the UM athletic department and ticket office to snoop around here. I even offered FREE advertising, but they will not even return my emails.

Posted by: 86Cane | April 13, 2008 at 02:52 PM

PERSONA NON GRATA

Romo to TO... I mean, Jacory to AJ....

Nice knowing you Marve!

documented liar, thief, plagiarist, parasite, megalomaniac, libeler, creep ...
ALL-AROUND SCUMBAG

if U all don't realize now that JH is the ismniskazism then go take marve out to dinner

i'm in a new york state of mind

I have been playing nice because I had invited the UM athletic department and ticket office to snoop around here. I even offered FREE advertising, but they will not even return my emails.

Posted by: 86Cane | April 13, 2008 at 02:52 PM

UNCREDENTIALED

D Line starting to wear down DUKE... go eat big Dogs!!!!

Devon... I mean Benji!!!! down to the 20... Come on!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »

The comments to this entry are closed.