« Canes getting healthy | Main | Whose eating at Bailey's? Not me »

What's holding back the offense?

The No. 1 question asked by Canes fans this week -- and probably this entire season -- has been: What's holding back the Canes offense? And it is a fair one. After all, how can an offense with more talent at quarterback, more talent at receiver, an improved group of tight ends, and veterans on the offensive line and in the backfield still be ranked six weeks into this season the same as it was at the end of last year (110th overall)?

Patrick_nixIn search of answers this week, I found plenty of explanations. Tight end Dedrick Epps was insightful with from the receivers perspective. Quarterbacks Robert Marve and Jacory Harris continued to fill us in on just how confused they've been by opposing coverages. And Wednesday, offensive coordinator Patrick Nix was about as honest, open and insightful as he's ever been in his two seasons here.

I'll have a story on what Nix said later tonight (YOU CAN LISTEN TO THE COMPLETE 16 MINUTE INTERVIEW HERE). But I'll try to answer your question right now from what I learned.

Basically, it's a combination of a lot of things.
> Opposing teams are indeed throwing defenses at UM their young players have never seen before and while Nix is making adjustments (Epps confirmed it), his players are not executing them. Shannon said Wednesday he began having his defense throw various coverage schemes at the offense -- not just what they see on tape anymore -- to see how they adjust on the fly.
> Poor route running is a problem and all of the interceptions Marve has been throwing lately are not all his fault. Epps talked at length Tuesday about how coaches are emphasizing running deeper, crisper routes to keep defensive backs off of them. Nix talked at length Tuesday and gave us examples how his young receivers are tipping off defensive backs, including twice last Saturday which led to two of Marve's three picks.
> Miami needs to remain healthy on the offensive line so they can keep the rotation running. UM simply isn't deep enough and must have fresh legs to be effective in both the running and passing game. The injury to Reggie Youngblood hurt Miami bad and forced Chris Rutledge to move from guard to tackle, leaving players like Orlando Franklin gassed and ineffective at many points during the game. The return of Barney and Youngblood this week will help.

Truth be told, nobody on this team believes the offense is doing as poorly as it. Kayne Farquharson laughed out loud when we told him the Canes' offense ranked 110th. "For real?," Farquharson said. "I didn't even know that man. Hearing it is tough. You want to be in the Top 5 in every aspect of the game. If we're 110, then we're the best 110 out there then. It's kind of shocking. But it is what it is."

> The good news for Canes fans is that nobody is pointing fingers -- yet. Unlike last year when you felt this team fold, many guys are still stepping up and taking responsibility for the woes. We'll see how long it lasts.

> For those of you who haven't seen it yet, my feature on Duke quarterback Thaddeus Lewis is up on our website already. I covered Thad when he was at Hialeah-Miami Lakes and always thought the Canes made a huge mistake not going after him or his HML teammate Armando Allen, who is now tearing things up at Notre Dame. Imagine where UM would be today if it would have had those guys each of the past two years?

ThaddeuslewisLewis can run and make plays with his legs. But what makes him effective is his elusiveness and ability to throw on the run. This year, the Blue Devils have learned how to protect him. Last year, Duke gave up an average of 3.8 sacks a game. This year, they've given up 10 in five games. UM sacked Lewis nine times last year, including what turned out to be the game-clincher by Eric Moncur. UM freshman linebacker knows how important it will be to get to Thad quick Saturday. "He's very talented, real mobile," Spence said. "He's not like a typical running quarterback. He wants to run around and look for the throw. He's not going to look for the run and make plays on his own. He's going to look for his receivers."

Chavez Grant admitted Tuesday UM was able to get away with some mistakes in coverage against UCF because the line finally got pressure on an opposing quarterback. UM had five sacks against the Knights and now has 14 for the season. "For the most part we cleaned up a lot of things, but at the same time we made some mistakes," Grant said of UM's secondary work. "I think it was a little less. But the thing about UCF, they didn't capitalize on our mistakes. We kind of covered them up really well because we were playing fast in the pass rush."

> The big news Tuesday was running back Javarris James and offensive tackle Reggie Youngblood were coming back from injury this week to play. But I'm not a firm believer either of these guys are close to being 100 percent healthy. Both talked after Tuesday's practice about how both are still feeling a lot of pain.

James suffered a high left ankle sprain against Florida. He admitted he's still feeling shots of pain when he makes cuts on his ankle, but said he feels confident he'll play and is around 90 to 95 percent. "I feel a lot more positive than Coach Shannon [about playng]," James said Tuesday. "He's going to do what's best for me. If it was up to me, I would have been dressed a long time ago. But it's just going to be some pain to fight through."

Youngblood injured his left leg, the same leg which he injured as a sophomore. Shannon told us two weeks ago Youngblood would be out for the year. Shannon said it was Youngblood who asked him if he could come back out and give it ago. But I'm sure he got some encouragement. Miami needs Youngblood badly at that right tackle spot. Chris Rutledge and Tyrone Byrd have proven they can't cut it without Youngblood at least in the rotation. "I've been playing with pain since 11th grade," Youngblood said. "It's not nothing I'm used to. I just got to gut it out."

Wednesday, Shannon told us he was hoping to get "anything between 35 to 40 snaps" from Youngblood and 25 to 30 snaps for James. Truth is, it might be less. Shannon, by the way, told us Wednesday its up to Youngblood if he wants a redshirt.

> There is a rumor floating around Sam Shields has been moved to cornerback. I don't buy it. Shannon laughed at it when we asked him about it Tuesday. Shields can't catch the ball too well. But that doesn't make him a corner.

> Shannon was asked why UM hasn't developed a go-to receiver through six games. His answer: youth. "Everybody wants us to have one go-to receiver. But these guys are too young," Shannon explained Tuesday. "It ain't like these guys have been in the system for three years. A lot of them just got here six months ago. Aldarius is the oldest guy we've got at 10 months. You can't do that to [those] young guys."

Glenn_cook> Linebacker Glenn Cook landed hard on his jaw late in Saturday's game and didn't practice Tuesday. Shannon told us he did return to practice on Wednesday. But I'm worried he may be one of those surprise guys on this week's injury report. If he is, look for Spencer Adkins to start in his place. I also don't expect running back Lee Chambers -- who had a flash in the pan with a 25-yard run against UCF -- to be back this week. Chambers suffered what Shannon called a "turf toe" injury. I saw him walking in a protective boot Tuesday.

As for other injured players, Shannon told us receiver Leonard Hankerson practiced Wednesday. Safety Vaughn Telemaque did not. Defensive tackle Josh Holmes, who hasn't played in forever, is practicing on the scout team. Shannon, though, is hopeful Holmes might be able to return soon. He's doubtful, probably next week he'll be ready to go," Shannon said. "This week, he's getting over the soreness. If nothing doesn't go wrong, he'll be fine."

Jermaine_mckenzie> I'm beginning to think we'll never see receiver Jermaine McKenzie get into a game unless somebody else goes down with an injury. McKenzie supposedly was on the verge of getting Saturday. He moved from the bench to standing on the sideline. But his number was never called. He was seen going back to the bench and slamming his helmet down in frustration. Shannon offered this on McKenzie Tuesday: "He's at the Z receiver behind Travis Benjamin and Davon Johnson. He's moved his way up on the depth chart, has been doing well in practice. He has to now execute moving forward."

Demarcus_van_dyke> As for DeMarcus Van Dyke, who has basically disappeared after being a starter a year ago, Shannon said DVD simply isn't winning the battle in competition. "He just has to keep working hard," Shannon said. "When we put seven DB's in the game he's in that package. As players sometimes you go in the tank a little bit. Against Florida State he made a couple of plays. This week we used our dime package, he did a great job. We're not going to shove guys off on the shelf, we'll find packages with him. And that's what we're doing with Demarcus."

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Canes 35 Duke 17

Shannon is ful of it just like any other coach my ? is his after this year how many kids are going to wan to transfer fornot getting on field.

McKenzie and DVD are apparently on a serious sophomore slump. We used to hear so many good things about McKenzie in practice, I thought he would have been one of the top guys this year. As for DVD, I' shocked at how he's been playing...thought he would be pretty close to being a shutdown corner by now

I guess he thought we were a top 5 offense, did you say there are only 119 d-1 programs

some of you people are idiotic. you included manny. why do you insinuate the offense will start pointing fingers? ceeboinc should they only recruit 22 great players and the rest backups so no one will transfer? sports is about competition. if you don't play you work harder. its the players job to get on the field not the coaches. why is so hard for you people to understand you don't win with freshman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2uXPHWpW6o


08'UM VIDEO... MUSIC BY LOCAL ARTISTS

C-RIDE & BREATHE LIFE

why read the blog if hes idiotic? ur the idiot for botherin 2 read the blog. ppl like u piss me off...manny is giving all of us the info we want bout the team we like n u bash him r u serious. go somewher with dat sh$t

why read the blog if hes idiotic? ur the idiot for botherin 2 read the blog. ppl like u piss me off...manny is giving all of us the info we want bout the team we like n u bash him r u serious. go somewher with dat sh$t

i just asked a question. why is he insinuating the offense will point fingers? manny always goes negative when its not needed and why would you think players would transfer. are they afraid to compete?

Cokers fault for letting those guys get away

THATS B.S IF I WAS DVD I WOULD TRANSFER SHAHHON IS A LIAR IV SEEN DVD SHUT DOWN GUYS SINCE SPRING PRACTICE.SHANNON JUST WANTS TO PLAY HARRIS BECAUSE HES COOL WITH HIS DAD.THATS WHY THIS PRORAM WILL CONTINUE YO GO DOWWN HILL ,THE BET PLAYERS ARENT ON THE FILL!

THATS B.S IF I WAS DVD I WOULD TRANSFER SHAHHON IS A LIAR IV SEEN DVD SHUT DOWN GUYS SINCE SPRING PRACTICE.SHANNON JUST WANTS TO PLAY HARRIS BECAUSE HES COOL WITH HIS DAD.THATS WHY THIS PRORAM WILL CONTINUE YO GO DOWWN HILL ,THE BET PLAYERS ARENT ON THE FILL!

Posted by: john | October 16, 2008 at 02:18 AM

It didn't have to do anything with DVD given up the last touchdown against UNC? If he's so good, why he doesn't have any INTs this season. What about the UF game the way he played? Harris even though he is a freshman, I have seen him make more plays that DVD. I think all CANES fan can agree with it.

I'll buy that statement from the offense, at least for a while. It makes sense. At least we're getting Youngblood back.

College Football News is picking Duke over Miami. Duke is on the rise...


...but then again, so are we. Every young team needs that definitive win.


Miami 27, Duke 17, though not the definitive win.

Something tells me that we've got a lot better chance to knocking down Wake and Va. Tech than many are giving credit.

how can an offense with more talent at quarterback, more talent at receiver, an improved group of tight ends, and veterans on the offensive line and in the backfield still be ranked six weeks into this season the same as it was at the end of last year (110th overall)?

CORRECTION !!! The offense was ranked 108th last year. Now?...110th
That would be REGRESSION.

C'mon knucklehead cane fan ONEHUNDRED AND TENTH?????? How blind are you guys?

Keep blabbering on about how great U WERE and how great U WILL BE. Any fan with a shred of dignity will discuss the here and now. Unfortunately the here and now is PATHETIC. Give King Randy a lifetime extension so all the Virginia and UNC fans can continue to laugh at you as they TROUNCE you on the field. You are the detritus (grab a dictionary cane trolls) of the ACC. Check the power rankings on the conferences and see where the ACC stacks up.

IT's not a coincidence that since joining a conference that your team has meandered down into irrelevance.

Keep drinking the King Randy Kool-Aid you subjective peabrains. "WE GOT FIVE RINGS.....RANDY RECRUITS BETTER.....blah blah blah"

U S U C K

U get what U pay for

Hey, Da U has lost two games by a combined total of 6 points to two teams that are a collective 9 and 2. And Da U lost what was a tight game to the 5 and 1 Gaturds and a fine SEC replay booth. Stop your whining Miami fans. Duke is now an excellent team, you will have your work cut out for you at Cameron Indoor Arena!
Manny is 100 per cent right, Coker should have taken Thaddeus and the kid from Notre Dame, but Coker was a horrible talent evaluator and wasn't sure the kids could make Da U's rigorous academic entrance requirements, forcing them to go to lesser academic institutions, Duke and the Golen Dome.

I don't understand the comment that on Wednesday "we started showing the offense different looks in practice." Huh???!!! That comment is unbelievable to me and kind of reflects the quality of our coaching if we are indeed just starting to emulate game situations. I thought that was only natural. Shannon great recruiter and person but not a great coach.

And I approve this message from the foundation of die-hard Cane fans.

"Duh U has lost two games by a combined total of 6 points to two teams that are a collective 9 and 2" - canesrule tosses 9 salads

But they still get recorded in the record book as a LOSS !! That is the weakest argument ever made. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. YOU LOST. If a team you beat said,"well DuhhU only beat us by 2..." you would laugh at them. As usual, you post completely stupid statements.

U canesrule 9'ships are a complete embarrassment to UM.

Someone is jealous...

some of you people are idiotic. you included manny. why do you insinuate the offense will start pointing fingers? ceeboinc should they only recruit 22 great players and the rest backups so no one will transfer? sports is about competition. if you don't play you work harder. its the players job to get on the field not the coaches. why is so hard for you people to understand you don't win with freshman.

Posted by: kepahardt | October 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Totally correct. Manny, keep your stupid little comments and insinuations to yourself.

KIng Randy is doing ads for Austin Burke now.

Look for Austin Burke to come in dead last in local sales. The goombas that run the place will start infighting and customers will loudly call for the sales managers head on a platter.

Some people are Head Coaches , some are Offensive Coordinators. Shannon and Nix are neither

NIX I STHE WORST COORDINATOR EVER,IF HE LOST HIS JOB NOBODY WOULD HIRE HIM JUST LIKE COKER. SHANNON WOULD GET A JOB BECAUSE HE IS BLACK AND CAN RECRUIT SOUTH FLORIDA BUT HE SUCKS AS A COACH. HE IS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD.

First off Manny, I want to say you are doing a great job. This blog is the best Miami Hurricanes coverage out there. I look forward to reading it each day. Keep up the great work!

I want to say that I was disappointed in what Nix said. He is making excuses instead of producing results. It is his responsibility to make sure these guys go out there and produce. If they are not executing consistently it could be the teaching method, you know? It could be that the coach needs to adjust. All I know is they are not getting it done (so far). As a coach and a leader you have to take responsibility when you are doing poorly....always. Just like the credit will go to him if he was being productive.

If these guys can't get better by the end of the season Nix needs to be held accountable. I have faith that Shannon won't be affraid to make a change if he doesn't get it done. You are a good coach if you can get your players to produce on the field. In the coaching profession, you are judged by your gameday results. I don't want to hear any "yeah buts". Fans want to see a gradual improvement at least.

I'm willing to take a wait and see approach and be fair to Nix for the rest of THIS season. So Nix, coach these guys up. The only way to shut us fans up is for the offense to put points up. You may not care about what we say but we have a voice. Your bosses will listen if we get loud enough.

As far as Nix goes, he was horrible.

Can't wait to hear what Nix said tonight. Did he finally take responsibility for the mess we have on offense, or did he just take the RS route and throw the players under the bus? "It's the youth I tell 'ya. The youth is the reason we can't move the ball, score TD's, or convert third downs." Yeah, it probably doesn't help that we have a 'tard calling delayed handoffs, bubble screens, and 3 yard post routes on 3rd and 15.

Anybody who still believes that garbarge answer me this: Are the other 109 teams ranked better than us because they have more talent / experience?

Shain - I agree with you. "I don't understand the comment that on Wednesday "we started showing the offense different looks in practice."

Wow, I'm shocked by that statement also. They should know that all teams will throw a wrinkle with their D when they play the U because of the FR QB's. Shannon should have been doing this all year! Plus, this is when a OC earns his money by making gametime changes. Hopefully it is the feshmen QB's but then again last year we had two SR. And we don't only have FR WR, we actually have started ST,SR. and SO all year.

Again,

Shannon has my support for 4 years!
Nix, for the rest of this year.
Young, forever!

Young is doing a great job with the D, they remind me of the great U teams of the past! They are aggressive, fast and quick to the ball but also very young. They will make mistakes but that is expected!

Young gets an A+ in my book!

Nix and Aubrey Hill need to correct the poor routes in practice, not during/after the game. You're telling me they don't see these guys making mistakes in practice?

As for DVD, he's got all the talent...kid just needs to step it up and he'll see the field. Give Randy Shannon credit, he appears to be playing the guys who work the hardest.

McKenzie should get a shot to play...Sam Shields saw the field and we all know how that went. I hate slamming college kids, but Sam Shields has had so many chances already....give someone else a shot.

I'm getting a little tired of people suggesting that everyone on the bench is going to transfer eventually. It's ridiculous. All the great teams have talent 3-deep at all positions, and there are not mas-transfers from these teams. Miami had talent oozing out its pours 7 years ago and noone was transferring. Stop saying that everyone who didn't win the starting spot is going to transfer. They know their time will come. They know they can improve and take the starting spot. The problem is that Coker recruiting a bunch of quitters and these guys get beat for positions and lay down and die on the bench. I like that McKenzie was slamming his helmet down in frustration. It will make him work harder in practice.

And DVD hasn't shut anyone down in 2 years, in games anyway. He may be dominating our 12 year old receivers in practice, but who cares about that.

I'm glad Nix is sharing what the problems are with the offense. I'm not a big fan of his, but I do think that he's doing what's right by this team at this point. I'm not sure he's developing the players as fast as they could be developed, but a) that's not all his fault and b) it doesn't matter...if they're not ready they're not ready. Everyone has been begging for us to throw deep, whining that he's been too conservative, and when he does Marve gets picked 3 times. That's not great for his confidence, and if he'd just called those boring bubble-screens again and punted, we'd have blown out UCF.

Go Canes!

Chicago, what you don't seem to recognize about the other programs with "3-deep" talent is that 1) the other teams have coaches who develop the players and 2) they are at mostly winning schools.

UM has neither right now so it's not unrealistic for fans to question whether players will start transferring. When Miami had talent "oozing out its pours (sic) 7 years ago" There was success on the field. Not the case now.

i want to hear from the geniuses if having young players isn't a good enough reason why the canes are being held back then why did it take andre johnson 3 years to be reliable..why did it take andre brown and dale dawkins 4 and 5 years, why did it take michael irvin 2 years, why did it take lamar thomas 3 years, why did it take michale barrow 3 years and darryl willliams and jessie armstead 2 years? are these players supposed be better than what those guys were or are they just getting rushed today because of the state of college football? why didn't vinny t transfer, why didn't gino give up, why didn't craig erickson transfer when jimmy left and dennis changed the offense? why is it different now or do you people need a history lesson?

First time poster, long time reader....

the more and more I read about Nix and watch his stale offense each weekend, the more and more I want him gone. Is it that difficult to see that the teams that are sitting on top of the poles are the ones that have college style offenses? Seriously, the U has so much talent down there and the youth excuse is getting old. The Gators have just as much youth if not more, and although it looked like it has taken them some time, as it should with a young team, they are starting to role and laid the smack on Freshy Miles and the Tigers last weekend. If the Canes were to match up against LSU right now it would be a joke. The talent gap in college football is closing and you need to stay ahead of the game with creative offenses and play calling.

I just don't get it..... why is it so difficult for the people at the U to see this?

SINCE THAT SLOW QB FROM FSU WAS ABLE TO RUN ALL OVER THE CANE D, WE GOT TO BE CAREFUL BOUT LEWIS.... HE IS A HECK OF A FOOTBALL PLAYER AND VERY SMART... THE CANES D SHOULD BE PREPARED THOUGH, THAT IS IF THEY LEARN FROM THIER MISTAKES..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2uXPHWpW6o

Posted by: NY/MA Cane

Because cane fan is drunk on history. Cane fan thinks it's all coming back. Cane fan has no sense of the changed landscape of college football. Cane fan thinks UM can just line up win because of "swagger" , "the U baby"," 5rings". All that stuff and 99cents will get you a junior bacon at Wendy's.
You are very observant in pointing out that the talent gap has closed. Cane fan just can't grasp this. The entire state of florida is heavily mined for talent now. In today's college football landscape it takes more than just hollering,"It's all about the U." It takes an enormous commitment from the athletic department that simply doesn't exist at UM anymore. Sure Randy can recruit. But top to bottom UM just isn't on the top level anymore. Calling it a "down time" is laughable. Until UM gets much more serious about putting the program in the top tier of D-1 this will continue. Presently that commitment is no where to be found.

"Shannon said Wednesday he began having his defense throw various coverage schemes at the offense -- not just what they see on tape anymore -- to see how they adjust on the fly."

That right there shows improvement. I was just saying this in the "Miami Hurricanes' quarterbacks working on offense" article. Don't worry about what your opponents run. Worry about their players behaviors: closing speed, jumping routes, baitors, body language, etc.

Study all types of defensive schemes, therefore, you are not "surprised" on game day.

LET'S GET IT GOING!

GO CANES!!!

I invite all of you to visit my blog post on Nix. I did some research and will show why Nix needs to go. Check it out and feel free to post a response...
http://realandfantasysports.blogspot.com/


Some people should not even comment after watching the game once. I DVR most games that allow me, and watch them twice. The first time, real time then I go back, and watch the plays that are not successful over and over.

A lot of people blame the QB for INTs. Most of them are by bad WR play. And I am glad this blog points that out.

Maybe I should be a coach! I'll wait to have kids then coach my son's Pee Wee team. lol

Too many excuses, period!

We shouldn't be worried what other teams are throwing at us or what different looks they give you. Run the damn offense and be accountable for yourself. Everybody needs to do there job, including Nix and everybody should know what the hell they're doing including Nix. When this happens then teams will be worrying about what looks you give them. When your worrying about looks and not knowing what the hell you're doing, you're usually LOOKING at another loss....They need to be confident in what they're doing and the points will follow as well as the wins. If this doesn't happen than changes need to be made. ( For some reason Nix comes to mind, but he has a chance to keep his job if he gets this thing going in the right direction starting Saturday.)

How come I always come on here, and some posts are like broken records? Especially hater posts outside of THE U family. I don't mind THE U family hater posts except for the negativity we don't need, but I like them because we will never accept losing!

Non-U family members...

COME UP WITH SOME ORIGINALITY!!!

Oooo, I do not like Shannon's excuse about a go-to WR. Here are some really good youthful WRs:

UGA's AJ Green
Last year's Texas Tech's Crabtree
Bama's Julio Jones

Come on Shannon. No limitations. Now, that pisses me off he is saying "youth". Give me a break!!!

Posted by: It all about the U | October 16, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Now that is the dunbest thing I have EVER read.

Let's see, basketball will be a preseaon #8 and was 3 points from the sweet 16 last year against Texas. Where was the rest of Florida schools?

In baseball, they had the best record EVER, but seemed to lose sight of the CWS due to the draft being at the end of the season which I HATE! It is a stupid distraction to these young kids, and may be the reason Fresno State won it. Well, not to take anything away from them, Fresno did get hot and won when it counted even though they sneaked in. Where was the rest of Florida schools? Oh, wait, I mean UF? FSU at least made it.

We have a new AD that has an excellent resume, and has done wonders for other colleges.

Football has been down. We don't have the kids nor have we "reloaded" in 6 years. This has changed because we got 22 kids from SoFlo this past recruiting class compared to a low 6 last year. We are down, but not out. A lot of haters are full of jealousy because they know that tropical storm is about to become a Cat 5 once again. It is only a matter of time.

As we can read, the coaches are learning which is expected being their lack of experience as well. All the fans want NOW, but it's not going to happen. We must endore patience, and watch these coaches and players learn as they go. We have something very special here because we get to watch all of this progress! We just need to suck it up, and support them as they grow.

GO CANES!!!

I'm with that... As much as I hate watching us lose, the rebuillding process is fun as well. I mean, I never would have gone to the nw games last year if the canes were killing it, but now I have developed an appreciation for the local hs football scene. I knew there was talent obviously but didn't really follow until now...

When spence, forston and aj are killing it on Sundays it'll be fun to reminisce on watching them grow from hs to the u to the league!! Let's enjoy it while we can

sukonthislosers

See the Orange and Green and pretend this is another group of kids if you want, but they're not good enough to win, and the coaches know it, and that's why they're being conservative and why we're losing. - chicago cane

What kind of no-brain, scheme-less football do they play in Kansas that makes Arthur Brown incapable of cracking the lineup of this dismal, talentless team?? - Jeff Smith

This is not a throw away year! We could still end up 9-3 or 8-4 and in a bowl game. The O isn't looking good but Nix could turn it around - Cane-ex (surely you've been eating mushrooms fool)

I think Shannon he is a great recruiter. However, his game management sucks. - Mr. Obvious (history has shown us many a clueless recruiter. His game management skills are beyond bad. They're horrible. )

Stop thinking with your mouth open and name a damn QB. -Bootlegger ( That would require some basic coaching/decision making skill. He has NONE)

THATS B.S IF I WAS DVD I WOULD TRANSFER SHAHHON IS A LIAR IV SEEN DVD SHUT DOWN GUYS SINCE SPRING PRACTICE.SHANNON JUST WANTS TO PLAY HARRIS BECAUSE HES COOL WITH HIS DAD.THATS WHY THIS PRORAM WILL CONTINUE YO GO DOWWN HILL ,THE BET PLAYERS ARENT ON THE FILL! -John

College Football News is picking Duke over Miami. Duke is on the rise... -LB

I don't understand the comment that on Wednesday "we started showing the offense different looks in practice." Huh???!!! That comment is unbelievable to me and kind of reflects the quality of our coaching if we are indeed just starting to emulate game situations. I thought that was only natural. Shannon is not a great coach. - Shain

Some people are Head Coaches , some are Offensive Coordinators. Shannon and Nix are neither, -Canedog

NIX I STHE WORST COORDINATOR EVER,IF HE LOST HIS JOB NOBODY WOULD HIRE HIM JUST LIKE COKER. SHANNON WOULD GET A JOB BECAUSE HE IS BLACK AND CAN RECRUIT SOUTH FLORIDA BUT HE SUCKS AS A COACH. HE IS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD. - THE P

Are the other 109 teams ranked better than us because they have more talent / experience? -Casual Observer

And UF is heading down. Looky at what is going on in the sewage!!! Good luck with a roster full of 175 lb backs. LMAO!!!

GAINESVILLE -- Florida linebacker Mon Williams plans to transfer after this semester, according to a report in the Gainesville Sun by writer and blogger Edward Aschoff.

If Williams indeed transfers, he will be the third running back in less than a year to leave the Gators. Last offseason, South Florida native Bo Williams transferred and so did Chevon Walker.

"I feel like since we got this new coach, everything's been downhill," Williams said. "We never talk. Even when he comes around, we never talk. He'll only comment when something bad goes down."

Oh, is that the reason UF only gained 89 rushing yards on THE U. Small scattbacks won't get 'er done. UF hasn't played a match up yet, but Ole Miss sure did do a good job. May be Kentucky is next to do what we did against the run.

Posted by: I wish I were THE U because 5 is greater than 2.

Dude, are you paying attention to what they are doing up there? They ran for something like 280 yards against LSU's stout D. That Williams guy can't sniff the playing field. And you're going to say they're heading down? You sound like that idiot canesrules 9championships guy. I love to hate on the gaytors as much as the next guy but c'mon. Think aboutwhat yur sayin.

I am concerned about McKenzie. Privately the players speak highly of his performance in practice. Some say that Shannon is being political with play time promises made to Dade County players. I can't see why he gets no play time. Can't be any less productive than what we are currently putting on the field. The guy was a big play maker in high school. I hope that Shannon is not planning on a redshirt. I think that he will transfer.

Shannon and his coaching staff needs to step up their coaching. Keep in mind that Butch Davis and Sabin started with programs in similar status as the U. They have coached their way to success. Sabin has better players than Butch, but they both are getting the most out of their players. I will give Randy another bye this year. Next year no excuses.

See the Orange and Green and pretend this is another group of kids if you want, but they're not good enough to win, and the coaches know it, and that's why they're being conservative and why we're losing. - chicago cane

What kind of no-brain, scheme-less football do they play in Kansas that makes Arthur Brown incapable of cracking the lineup of this dismal, talentless team?? - Jeff Smith

This is not a throw away year! We could still end up 9-3 or 8-4 and in a bowl game. The O isn't looking good but Nix could turn it around - Cane-ex (surely you've been eating mushrooms fool)

I think Shannon he is a great recruiter. However, his game management sucks. - Mr. Obvious (history has shown us many a clueless recruiter. His game management skills are beyond bad. They're horrible. )

Stop thinking with your mouth open and name a damn QB. -Bootlegger ( That would require some basic coaching/decision making skill. He has NONE)

THATS B.S IF I WAS DVD I WOULD TRANSFER SHAHHON IS A LIAR IV SEEN DVD SHUT DOWN GUYS SINCE SPRING PRACTICE.SHANNON JUST WANTS TO PLAY HARRIS BECAUSE HES COOL WITH HIS DAD.THATS WHY THIS PRORAM WILL CONTINUE YO GO DOWWN HILL ,THE BET PLAYERS ARENT ON THE FILL! -John

College Football News is picking Duke over Miami. Duke is on the rise... -LB

I don't understand the comment that on Wednesday "we started showing the offense different looks in practice." Huh???!!! That comment is unbelievable to me and kind of reflects the quality of our coaching if we are indeed just starting to emulate game situations. I thought that was only natural. Shannon is not a great coach. - Shain

Some people are Head Coaches , some are Offensive Coordinators. Shannon and Nix are neither, -Canedog

NIX I STHE WORST COORDINATOR EVER,IF HE LOST HIS JOB NOBODY WOULD HIRE HIM JUST LIKE COKER. SHANNON WOULD GET A JOB BECAUSE HE IS BLACK AND CAN RECRUIT SOUTH FLORIDA BUT HE SUCKS AS A COACH. HE IS IN WAY OVER HIS HEAD. - THE P

Are the other 109 teams ranked better than us because they have more talent / experience? -Casual Observer

Can Aubrey Hill show any of the WRs a double move? Any time we throw a deep pass, the WR is absolutely blanketed.

1 2 »

The comments to this entry are closed.