« Sanford trio talk Canes, recruiting | Main | Marve suspension likely last straw »

Practice resumes Marve-less

GREENTREE PRACTICE FIELD -- The Miami Hurricanes returned to practice Thursday without their starting quarterback. According to UM sports information director Kerwin Lonzo, who addressed the media as players were coming onto the field, Robert Marve asked to be excused from the team and has returned home to Tampa to be with his family.

Robert_marve2Lonzo did not say whether or not Marve is expected to return the team in time for next week's Emerald Bowl in San Francisco. This could signal the end to Marve's career as Hurricane. Many rumors over the past couple of weeks have suggested Marve has been considering transferring.

Although, there is a chance this could be academically related. Wednesday was the day grades were released after the fall semester and it was believed some players might not be eligible for the bowl game because of grades. Last Sunday after the team's end of the year banquet, Marve told our Susan Miller Degnan in a hotel lobby "my grades were fine."

Lonzo said Marve was the only player not to return to the team Thursday. He said coach Randy Shannon would address all questions after practice. We are trying to reach Marve's family and will keep you posted on this developing story.

Marve started 11 games this season for the Hurricanes completing 116 passes on 213 attempts for 1,293 yards, 9 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He shared the majority of snaps, however, with Jacory Harris, who had a better completion percentage and threw for more touchdowns (10) and fewer interceptions (6). Last week, Marve's father had a private meeting with Shannon before the team resumed practice after a two week break. Marve then dodged reporters questions after practice, running straight into the locker room.

Comments