Here's what quarterback Stephen Morris and coach Al Golden had to say after UM's 32-24 loss to Maryland Monday night to WQAM.
- Penalties and turnovers hurt... "That's the end all right there. I just got done telling the team don't make excuses, we had enough talent to win. Made too many turnovers and had too many penalties. Really, too many silly operational penalties that we have to get fixed. That starts with me. We'll take a hard look at it, make sure we have the right groupings in there and all that. We can't overcome that in this opener."
- Effort of the team... "I thought we competed and everytime Maryland took the lead we responded. Right up until the end when we threw the interception I thought we were going to respond again and go right down there and kick a field goal. We competed. But if you don't play smarter and more disciplined you can't win that game. If you would have told me going into the game we'd hold them to less than 20 points on defense with all the changes we had, I would have taken it. We gave up two offensive touchdowns and 10 penalties."
- Special teams... "I thought we made a lot of progress in our kicking game tonight. I thought we covered kicks well. I thought we returned the ball better than they did. We outnetted them there. We just didn't execute as well as we needed to on offense."
- Vaughn Telemaque had a big game on defense, what did you think his and the unit's effort... "When you're playing that wants to throw all over the yard like that, you have to win on third downs and you got to win in the red zone like that. And we had a couple stops in the red zone which was critical when you play a team like that, holding them to a field goal. They probably had us 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 in yardage midway through the first quarter or the end of the first quarter. The guys were hanging in there, making plays in the red zone. After all that, whatever it was 10-7. We changed leads probably 3 times."
- Lamar Miller and Mike James ran hard, you had 40 rushes for 172 yards rushing... "I was trying to get that number up a little bit higher. Lamar had 18 [carries] I think. But if we don't get silly penalties he probably gets 25. We put ourselves in second and forever and long third downs where you really can't run. So, that was unfortunate. We get down to the 5-yard line there with four minutes to go in the game and it comes back and we ended up settling for a field goal. He went around left end there and we were lined up wrong. And they were right. We were lined up wrong. We got to get that tightened up. And again, that starts with the coaches and me."
- Were you happy with the running game and particularly the running of fullback Maurice Hagens... "Maurice - particularly short yardage - has to be a factor for us. He does a good job blocking. But if you want to play the game that way -- which we set out to do in this game because we wanted to control the clock and we needed to help our defense -- you can't turn the ball over and you can't have penalties. You can't stay on schedule and play the way we wanted to operate today getting silly penalties."
- What do you have to work on before Ohio State... "We're just going to go back. I don't know how many guys we're going to get back. But between injuries and suspensions, I'm sure it's close to 10 [players] when you think of all the guys we didn't bring on this trip. We'll bring in some reinforcements. That should help us on special teams and clearly give us a little more depth. We just need to go back to work and the good news is the things we did wrong are fixable. The bad news is it's been an emphasis since I arrived. The operational penalties game out of left field. I don't know if it was poise. We won't know until we get back and they convey to us what was wrong in the huddle and what the issues were."
- Overall feeling on Stephen Morris' performance... "Some of the operational penalties were his. He has to get us in and out of the huddle and on the line of scrimmage, obviously take care of the clock. A couple times we didn't do that. I thought he was going to get a couple of them off or I would have burned some time outs. But he made some good throws, stood in the pocket. Some other times he showed courage on some of his throws. But the one down the stretch he was late on, you can't be late down the stretch to the sideline No. 1. When you're in the fringe, you have to protect the ball. And we didn't do that."
- On turnovers and penalties... "We can't turn the ball over like that, as many times as we did, fumbles or whatever it the situation -- me, myself included. We just have to go back on film and get better with that."
- Lamar Miller, Mike James ran well... "I expect that from both of them. Both of them are great backs and understand the offense very well. Our offensive line did a great job opening holes for us and we just have to convert."
- Any surprises from Maryland... "Not at all. The coaches did a great job of game planning. Offensively we had everything we wanted. We just didn't convert on a couple times. That goes on the players fault. We just have to go back and get better on it."
- Were you happy with the 60 minutes of effort... "That's something coach Golden has been preaching. Every single time we try to go out on the field, we make sure everybody is giving it their all. It was a team effort. We just have to push ourselves a little bit harder."
- What did you learn about yourself... "There's a lot of things I did good and a lot of things I did bad. I still have to improve which is something I have to go back and look at and just try to get better."