Good morning Canes fans.
Game Day -- love those two words.
It is an absolutely gorgeous day here in Boston, and I'm sure the Hurricanes are incredibly excited, anxious, nervous -- whatever word fits for whichever player -- about starting the season.
Last season ended so disappointingly against these same Boston College Eagles.
I believe UM will take care of business today and win the opener IF:
* Quarterback Stephen Morris protects the ball first and foremost, and does not throw interceptions. I'm not doing an over-under on picks, which had become a sad tradition among many when Jacory Harris was the quarterback. But how promising would it be if Stephen didn't throw any today and keeps his composure?
* The UM defensive line can hold up to the physicality that is Boston College's MO.The Eagles rushed 50 times in last season's finale. UM has proven so porous in its run defense the past few seasons that you just know the Eagles will give it a shot. However, BC's top running back, Rolandan Finch (he rushed for 96 yards on 22 carries) has an injured foot and is not expected to see a lot of action today (we'll see about that, too).
* The UM linebackers tackle the way they've been taught. Sometimes in the first couple of weeks we see a lot of missed tackles.
* The Hurricanes' running game emerges. With no Lamar Miller, you just have to hope that Mike James is ready to get some yards. If not, we're going to see a lot of Eduardo Clements and Duke Johnson.
* The offensive line does a decent job.
Who are you, as fans, most eager to see play today?
I can't wait to see Duke Johnson, and interested in seeing how Ereck Flowers does at right tackle. Also looking to see how Deon Bush and Tracy Howard do, if they get in, which I suspect they will. I'm sure a lot of these guys will start out with special teams and then get integrated into the offense or defense.
Boston College has a lot of injuries, which you never want to see, but helps the Hurricanes.
Al Golden just wants to win, but a well-played victory would do wonders to start out the season.
Our Manny Navarro will be blogging live during the game, so be sure to join him!
Oh yes, people are asking me my prediction for the game. I know I had all those qualifying "ifs'' above, but I do predict a win for Miami today. Don't ask me the score. Who knows?
SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN