« More injury news: #UM #Canes WR Allen Hurns has cast on left hand -- and practice notes | Main | Ask your questions to me here for live UM Canes Q & A. Susan Miller Degnan »

Golden talks USF, suspensions, injuries; McGee has 'heart-to-heart' with Eddie Johnson

The hot topic in Coral Gables -- aside from the NCAA investigation and whether or not UM will be skipping a bowl game -- have been player sideshows, and the discipline coach Al Golden has had to hand out over the last couple weeks.

Tuesday, while two suspended players -- freshman linebacker Gabe Terry and receiver Rashawn Scott -- remained out, second-leading tackler and starting outside linebacker Eddie Johnson was reinstated and back out at practice. All three players were disciplined before last Saturday's game at Virginia.

Golden said Johnson will be allowed to play this Saturday in the Canes' home finale against South Florida (3-6), but he won't start. Asked what he told Johnson upon his return to the team, Golden said: "That there's a responsibility and a level of accountability that we can't move on without."

"It's not do this for me, it's do it because the rest of the team is doing it and because you want to be accountable and responsible and want to be a good teammate," Golden said. "I've been in this situation before and hopefully he'll be stronger, come out of it stronger and respond... As a coach, you can't look the other way when those type of things are going on. Hopefully he learned from it. The rest of it is in-house."

While Scott remains suspended indefinitely, Golden remains hopeful the situation with Terry, who blocked a punt in the win over Virginia Tech, will be resolved.

"I'd love for him to play," Golden said. "But it's in his court - he's got to mature. He's got to see the big picture and how he impacts the team. Right now he has not been reinstated. I don't know if that's going to change."

Cornerback Brandon McGee, one of roughly 15 players on the Hurricanes' leadership/unity council, said Tuesday he had words with Johnson recently and is confident the redshirt freshman will "respond positively."

"I spoke with Eddie and had a heart-to-heart with him, just a real pow-wow session," McGee said. "There's a mutual respect between us both. He's a great athlete. He understands. I think he'll keep moving forward and Coach Golden will continue to support him. Coach Golden supports all of us. There's been many times when guys have been in his office and he's never once turned his back on them. He'll keep developing these guys."

How did Johnson respond to a teammate pulling him to the side for an important talk?

"[Johnson] was receptive to what I was saying," McGee said. "He was very understanding of where I was coming from because I took him to a real place."

As for Scott, McGee said he's doesn't know the true extent of why the sophomore receiver has been suspended indefinitely, but said "it's unfortunate."

Another teammate, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said: "For Rashawn to get suspended indefinitely, he had to have done some real messed up [bleep]. The rules aren't that hard to follow."

MCGEE TALKS UNITY/LEADERSHIP COUNCIL

> McGee said UM's leadership/unity council meets usually once a month in the Edgerrin James room at the Hecht Center to discuss important issues with Golden. "It's pretty much a connection between the players and coaches," McGee said. "Coach Goldenm he stresses to us what we have to get done and sometimes the players may have requests and it's our responsibility to take it to Coach Golden."

"When you see a guy who may be going down a [troublesome] path, everybody will talk to him and things like that. We'll pull him to the side ourselves and address it then. If coach sees an issue and he feels it needs to be adjusted we'll handle it."

Who is on the council? Every class -- seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen are represented. "[Running back] Mike James, me, [quarterback] Stephen Morris, [receiver] Allen Hurns, [offensive lineman] Brandon Linder, [cornerback] Tracy Howard, [receiver] Malcolm Lewis, [safety] Deon Bush those are some of the guys," McGee said. "It's a big group. We're not necessarily policemen, it's more like a bridge between the coaches and players."

Are there times when players have been proactive to stop a teammate from getting in trouble?

"There definitely has been times," McGee said. "We've also been able to do some other things, too. We talked to coach about bringing music to practice and he was receptive. We impose our own discipline as well. Guys don't sit out games -- that's not our decision. But other discipline measures. It varies."

Golden praised McGee's leadership Tuesday.

"Brandon McGee doesn't get enough credit for being the leader he's become," Golden said. "He's blessed with raw talent to play the corner position. What we're seeing now is he's a guy committed to working on his tools. He's so much tougher now than when he first got here. And he's a leader for us. If you asked when we first got here would he emerge as a team leader, captain, I'd say No. 2, No. 3, that's the chance he'd have. I'm really proud of him."

MORE NEWS AND NOTES FROM TUESDAY

> Golden said he expects receiver Allen Hurns, who cracked his left thumb blocking on Duke Johnson's 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown Saturday at Virginia, to play on Saturday versus USF. Hurns, who returned to the field and caught two TD passes after being injured, was at practice with a cast on his left hand Tuesday.

Golden lauded Hurns' toughness. "We're protecting it certainly in practice. We'll see how it evolves on Thursday - we want to protect it through Thursday and see if there can be some kind of soft splint or tape job he can [play] with," Golden said. "He's got a crack if you will, in his thumb, and he's working through it. It's not in the joint or anything thats going to be career threating. But he's been cleared to proceed."

> Golden said "it's a little bit cloudy" whether or not the annual series with USF will continue beyond next season because the ACC could go to a nine-game conference schedule with Notre Dame added to the mix. What does Golden want with his out of conference schedule moving forward?

"We have to construct to have the ability win the Coastal," Golden said. "That's the biggest thing. And we have to make sure when everyone walks through the building the way out is through our division, which we haven't won, and then go to Charlotte.

"I'd like to see us play Kansas State, Notre Dame … let's play them in Charlotte and a BCS game, not week 2 on the road because we're taking ourselves out of the tournament pretty quickly by doing that. Our first priority has to be to get to Charlotte, and let's all travel, go to Charlotte and have a great time. Let's enjoy that and then you go from there in terms of taking the next step. We have a long way to go as a program. I see what you see. We have a long way to go. But I'm dug in, here to fix it. We have a staff that's committed to it. We had 32 young Miami Hurricanes that joined us last year that are really making a difference, part of the solution."

> What is Golden's message to his senior class going into the final two games? 

"That they have an opportunity this week and the next two weeks to right the ship," Golden said. "Their legacy will be that, that they fought through it, that they didn't quit, didn't leave, they dug in and fought through the tumult, adversity when it would have been easier to say `I'm out of here.' They deserve to finish on a great note, a positive note. They have been through a lot, and as a staff we're grateful to them. Hopefully they go off on a positive note here."

> Golden said the reason fifth-year senior defensive tackle Darius Smith hasn't played the past two games is because "other guys are playing better than him right now."

"The emergence of Curtis Porter has kind of taken some of his reps away," Golden said. "[Freshmen] Earl Moore and Dequan Ivery have taken some of his reps away. That's unfortunate, but that happens in college football. The only thing he can control is having a positive attitude and going to work tomorrow and hope he has another opportunity."

Golden said Porter's conditioning is improving, but he probably played "too many plays last week, to be honest with you."

"His attitude has been great," Golden said. "We're really trying to push him to get eight weeks worth of conditioning in two weeks. I think he'll be better this week. He was better last week. We played him too much. He's effective when he's in there. If he can just buy into a process and consistency he can be very, very good, as good as he wants to be."

AUDIO INTERVIEWS FROM TUESDAY

Coach Golden's full press conference

Cornerback Brandon McGee discusses the Canes' unity/leadership council

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Really encouraged by this blog post Manny....thank you!! I think it's important that the fans hear that there has been a resolution with at least one possibly two players on the team. Very happy there is a "council" of players in place that work in conjunction with coach Golden in regards to team matters. Shows true leadership in place!! We will move on from this!!

Miami Hurricanes fire longtime equipment manager Bobby Revilla. UM should have fired Mark D'Fino.

Manny this is excellent stuff..
Great job.

Porter has really come on, and played tought...stay healthy.
McGee has stepped up big time.
Howard was flying around and doing some good work.
Hurnsy too has stepped up..
These are all leaders of our 'Canes down the line, and they will take us to the next level..

We need to support these guys and let them know the journey back to being a Strong and Top program in College Football will be long, with twists and turns. We will get there, and enjoy the ride back to a Marquee Program that our Legacy showed we could be, and will be..
The 'Canes will be back.
Go 'Canes Always

"After wrapping up an outstanding high school career that includes 4,867 rushing yards and 55 touchdowns as a starter for more than three seasons, ESPN 300 prospect A.J. Turman (Orlando, Fla./Boone) felt he need not delay his commitment any longer. On Sunday, Turman told ESPN.com he intends to announce his decision Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in a downtown Orlando restaurant.

Turman will choose between Auburn, FSU, Georgia, Miami and Tennessee

choose um baby

Finally, some good news.

Still mad that Bush probably won't go, though. With that in mind, we really need to play more man coverage vs USF. I'm confident that McGee (who has undoubtedly become a solid corner this year) can do a good job on Andre Davis, (coincidently, a kid who really wanted to be here...) as he was able to on Marcus Davis, a physically gifted guy, who I want to say only had one relevant catch on the Thurs night game. I've got a baaaaaaaaaaad feeling that Andre Davis will burn us up, if we continually let him catch the ball with a free eight yards to work with.

Hopefully Eddie gets his head on straight. He is really talented.

It's odd that all the players that had a good game against VT, are the ones that got suspended. Did they get too big for their britches or something.

Will people STFU with what scheme they think the defense should run? If any of you had a clue as to what needed to be done on defense you'd be coaching rather than on a blog. By the way phinsane, you do realize the defense was in man when UVA ripped off a long play correct? The only thing that will fix this defense is time and development. You clowns expect a JV defense to go out and dominate the competition. Scheme has nothing to do with it.

Coach D is running a multiple formation defense just like Saban runs at Bama. When the defense finally grows up all of you will be eating your words about coach D. But then again most of you haters are either brain dead or moles...

Man 2 Man please AND throw the ball to DAVON JOHNSON! That kid has been clutch WHEN they throw the ball to him. I believe Golden will get us turned around. I'm willing to give these new guys a chance. We have to support our PLAYERS. Dig in, lay some wood, and win! Go Canes

CANE4LIFE


UgoCane, right now, morris is the last of our problems, it's a lil asanine to knock morris when the offense put up 33 points. jedd fisch and the offense are the least of our problems, and goldie is over there meddling with that from time to time, that's how we got the 3rd down duke johnson run for nowhere on 3rd and 6. You harping on morris, how carzy is that, for all his flaws, 33 points is 33points, more than enuff to win the game.

Even his fumble didn't cost us the game, it actually helped us because it helped to chew up more clock. Had morris scored on that run or had we scored on that drive, it would have only put us up by 10 points, we got up by 10 points later on in the 4th quarter which was better because of time.

It's insane to blame smo17 or jedd for anything in that cavalier game, they did enuff to win it, yeah i know they could've gotten another 1st down or 2, but hell, with 40 points on the board, i'm not looking for nothing else on offense.

So you'll continue to see me and other blast this coward's defensive scheme until it either proves us wrong, or their gone, somethings going to come to an end that's for sure.

Posted by: Calvin | November 13, 2012 at 05:51 PM

What alot of people seem to fail to realize, any team that runs primarily zone schemes, once they go man, it's hard for them to play it effectiviely. You have a better chance going from primarily man and switching up to zone from time to time. In order to play better man coverage you have to be repetitive with it.

Also, the way goldie and crew teach the db's, they don't teach them to re-route the wide-outs, they like to teach them basically the 1 hand outside/inside touch jam, but they don't let natural ability take over because they're constantly teaching their db's not to engage to long, and once you start teaching it like that, you're taking the physical aggression away from the db instantly.

When we're in man coverage it's not true man coverage, press-man is when you're doing exactly that, pressing the receiver. That alone teaches you better foot work.

What bothered me was hearing goldie say about thomas finnie's penalty "i wouldn't have taught any other way" , lol, WHAT, finnie has to much speed, if he was able to play as aggressive as he played when he first got here, he wouldn't have needed to have held the back of the man's jersey, that's what happens when you give free releases off the line.

Calvin,

Golden may have dialed up a run by Duke Johnson which didn't work but Duke was averaging 9.4 yards a carry??? Why wouldn't you want Duke to touch the ball? GTFOOH!

Can't blame Jedd for anything? How about two running plays on that 3 and out with 5 minutes left rather than running out the clock with running plays? Amazing how Jedd can do no wrong but Coach D does nothing right. How long have you had a thing for Jedd?

The offense and the defense are nowhere near being a finished product. I can say the team plays with heart again and the penalties have been cut way back since the Randy Shannon days. As for this cowardly scheme you speak of? You do know coach D wants to run what Saban is running Bama correct? There's nothing cowardly about that scheme. Coach D can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap and that's exactly what Randy left him, chicken crap...

Discipline? What discipline? The DC and OC are the ones that really need to be talked to. The UVA game was lost on defense.

heisman Watch:

1) Bridgewater UL QB

2) Johnny Manziel QB Texas QB

3) Definitely not the KSU QB

Are you kidding me, Bridgewater, any thought of the Heisman left with the Cuse defeat.

southpawCane, are you insane, i don't give ratz nickel who was in that back field, handing the ball off to a runningback when another team is obviously bringing the house is about as stupid as it gets. Did duke get 9.4 yards on that play. it's one thing to get the ball in a players hands, but how you do it makes all the difference, why did we not check off to a screen pass like most teams do us with our obvious blitzes, that's how you want to get it in his hands.

Again, i could careless about what an offense does after 40points is on the board, really after 35 points, if you're blaming the offense over the defense, it's a waste of time talking to you. roll out with that on-sense if you're thinking like that.

Also, cut it out with the slogan, 3-4 defenses are trash defenses, all you have to do is have a good qulaity 3rd wide receiver and a solid qb and that defense will get trashed. jimmy johnson ran all those old head 3-4 coaches out of the nfc east by bring in speed. All you need to beat the 3-4 is an above average left tackle, a strong 3rd wide-out and a solid qb and that defense will get torched as long as you spread them out, plain and simple.

It's also requires you to ave a bunch of big lumbring slow guys. That 3-4 crap is based on 2 philosophies. It's primary focus is, once a team gets in the redzone, they either get 3 or a turn-over, but you're not suppose to be able to run the ball in on a 3-4 scheme. The other philosophy is, an offense will not be able to consistently drive dow the field on that type of defense.

What you fail to realize about the 3-4 scheme that they're running at bama is, saban teaches db's more of a 4-3 technique, he's not running a basic 3-4 and than running soft zones behind it. He also uses his safeties a whole lot different than we use ours.

saying somebody is trying to run a defense somebody else is running, hell, the last oc here mark nipple was trying to run the old rams/air coryell offense when he was here, so what the hell that's suppose to mean. Again, it's a coward's scheme, that's why bama got beat, a team finally went at that defense and whoop em. I kept telling people that defense is ok, than when you add in the fact that their in the sec where alot of teams don't really ahve strong offenses, of course that defense will look better than it's suppose to.

It would be good for jimmy johnson to become the a.d. here. That's the real move that needs to be made at this moment in time. We need somebody to be the a.d. who understands how to nuture the Miami way from the top. jimmy should take the job just because he knows how ridiculous the a.d. and president he worked for were.

Not only is goldie's boy the worst coordinator to come thru UM, he's the worst in college football at his position. We're in games based off of talent alone. I know dzp, bush & eddie johnson are balla's, but we didn't need them to win that game yesterday.

I'm still shaking my head thinking about how many times i'm seeing curtis porter in pass coverage, he can't be serious about his job doing that.

Again i'll repeat, oach OH-NO is not just the worst coordinator to ever come thru UM, the facts are, he's the worst coordinator in college football right now.

Yeah right dumbass, Jimmy johnson is going to leave a one day a week job with the NFL and Fox sports to become an everyday employee. You are the biggest dumbass next to Gallo I have ever seen on this blog.

Keep in mind this is Cool Cats BS heisman list.

leadership unity/council....that is the most ridiculas thing I have ever hear of....so golden needs a council of "kids" to fill the gap between his leadership and the players....BE A REAL COACH and LEAD! Dont depend on the players to do your dirty work....start with your own staff and the player issue will take care of themselves....confidence changes everything and the players have ZERO confidence in your staff Golden. 13 plus have left....#1 recruit is gone...#2 will also...you dont play freshmans when you have senior players on the roster...freshman sit,learn and keep their mouth shut until its THEIR turn....forget what you did at Temple or didnt in my opinion...it wont work here....read the SI article...learn something. get rid of the council, thats the last thing you need is another layer of seperation....remeber you blew the virginia game by putting the game in the hands of your failed defense vs your best player Morris....3rd and 7 and you run the ball...really?

Good stuff Manny, keep up the good work!!

All I want is a win dont care about anything else can we go at least 7-5 please??? Feel like im begging now.

6-6 is like a losing season to me. I remember when that did not get you to a bowl game.

Calvin,

Coach D is running what Saban is running on Defense at Bama. The difference is Saban was handed crap to work with and have to build Bama back up from a dumpster fire. Randy Shannon kept the dumpster fire ablaze after Coker left because he had no business being hired in the first place. The only reason Randy's defense did well while he was DC was because he had a roster full of 1st rounders at his disposal. All randy knew how to run was Tampa Cover 2. He never made any adjustments because he was incompetent. Bobby Petrino lit his defense up. In fact, Miami has made plenty of QB's look like Heisman's for awhile now. You clowns act like the past two years were the beginning of this?

Again, if Duke breaks a long run you'd be singing Goldens praises for giving Duke the ball. It didn't work so you have ammo to further your BS. Let's recap, this roster is one of the youngest in D-1 football. There's 55 true Sophomores or younger on the roster. This team will lose nobody worth mentioning this offseason. They're going to continue to get better and better because Golden actually develops them as football players and student athletes. This program hasn't had that since Butch left. You remember Butch don't you? That guy clowns like you called for his head and claimed wasn't a gameday coach?

How do any of you claim this is year #2 for this coaching staff after losing all the players they did from last year? This is year #1 and the best players on the team are the new kids. You clowns don't see progress because you're either #1 brain dead or #2 moles.

Calvin mentioning Randy Shannon shows just how stupid he is. Hell randy is LB's coach now. I guess people who actually matter in CFB understand he's incompetent just like I do. The man sounded like a second grader during interviews and that's an insult to second graders. LOL! Hey Randy, spit the marbles out of your mouth you babbling fool.

Golden is leading, thats why you see suspensions and Ray Ray is off the team. You expect Golden to be with these guys 24/7? They have to be able to self-police.or someone is going to screw up.

Every team has something like this. We only know about it because we have playets who cant follow the rules.

Holy crap! Canesjunkie understand what these fools don't. Golden is holding these players accountable. Randy would just throw them in a doghouse never to be heard from again. Anybody remember a player named Tommy Streeter? Ask him about that doghouse that Randy built. Tommy ended up breaking out his last year here because of Golden.

Hey Gallo "Curse",

Please list all of these Seniors you speak of who should be playing over the young players who should be sitting and keeping their mouths shut. I'll wait. When your roster consists of 55 true Sophomores or younger that doesn't leave you with too many Seniors now does it? Should Duke be sitting behind Mike James? Every time you post you further expose your stupidity.

Lets give cool cat a heisman for dumb posts

Next he'll say obama for heisman

Klein
Mariota
Barner
Teo

Please un cool cat, just stop

Obama for Liar-in-Chief

Can we fire the Hobbit too? Football/baseball has been ruined since 2001

UM just lost to Florida Gulf Coast in basketball. A team of basically all seniors. It looks like basketball has a great coach and program moving in the righ direction too. The Hobbit is laughing all the way to the politically-liberal bank.

When has basketball ever been good? If anybody turns basketball around it will be Laranga. Shalala and her party affiliation has nothing to do with it. Both parties suck.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THIS PROGRAM IS THOSE INVOLVED ARE TOO STUCK IN THE PAST. THE COACHES ARE COMING HERE STILL BELIEVING THE OLD PENN ST STYLE OF FOOTBALL WORKS FOR FLORIDA ATHLETES! BULL..T! HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS ALL OVER FLORIDA PLAY AGGRESSIVE AND FAST. IF THIS PROGRAM WANTS TO IMPROVE FOR THE FUTURE THAN THE STYLE OF PLAY MUST CHANGE. ON OFFENSE WE NEED A NASTY DOWN HILL RUNNING OFFENSIVE LINE THAT IF THEY NEED TO RUN AND YOU KNOW IT YOU STILL CANNOT STOP IT! THERE IS A NEED FOR A BIG BACK 235-240 LBS WHO IS TOUGH ON SHORT YARDAGE AND INSIDE 5 YD LINE. WE NEED A DC WHO FOCUS IS AGGRESSIVE ATTACKING STYLE! STOPPING THE RUN AND GETTING SACKS! TO DO THIS FIRST FIRE D'ONOFRIO ! FIRE THE D-LINE COACH AND GO GET A STOUT 4-3 COACH! NOTHING SHUTS AN OFFENSE DOWN LIKE SACKS AND INTERCEPTIONS! WE ALREADY HAVE THE TALENT BUT WE NEED THE TEAM TO GET BIGGER AND STRONGER ON DEFENSE! ALL THE LB'S EXCEPT JOHNSON NEEDS 10 LBS MUSCLE WHILE KEEPING SPEED AND QUICKNESS! CHICKALO NEEDS TO TRIM DOWN 5-10 LBS(250LBS) AND TYRIQ NEEDS ABOUT 15-20 LBS FOR MORE POWER! ALL THE DB NEEDS 5-10 LBS OF MUSCLE. STOP PLAYING TOUGH TEAMS EARLY IN THE SEASON ON THE ROAD BACK TO BACK! THAT IS THE DUMBEST SCHEDULE EVER PUT TOGETHER! IF YOU NEED TO BUY OUT AND ADD 2 CUPCAKES DO SO! PLAYING SOFT IN THE BEGINNING HELPS TO GET GOING AND JUDGE AT THE SAME TIME.IF YOU BLOW THEM OUT GOOD! YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO! IF YOU STRUGGLE YOU HAVE WORK TO DO! IF WE CAN WIN THESE NEXT 2 GAMES MAKE SURE YOU PUT UP THE ACC COASTAL DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER IN THE LOCKER AND IN THE STADIUM. TAKE THE BOWL BAN BUT LET THESE SENIORS GO OUT AS CHAMPIONS! GO CANES! WE WILL GET THERE! ALL YOU HATERS ENJOY NOW CAUSE YOU WON'T LATER! AND LATER PLEASE BEAT THE SH..T OUT OF VIRGINIA! THEY ONLY GOAL IS TO BEAT MIAMI!

Terry,

Coach D is running Bama's defense. They seem to do just fine on defense with stud athletes. Jedd has a quick strike pro-style offense that makes defenses defend every area of the field. The real problem is youth and depth. Scheme has nothing to do with it. The other problem is Miami fans are stupid as all hell and have no vision or patience. That's not a good mix.

You're a perfect example...

If you say that Donofrio runs what saban runs you know absolutely nothing about defense. Zero. Nothing.
Saban runs a press man to man pressure gap defense. Donofrio runs a 3-4, 4-2 play 15 yards off the line soft zone. No person with any football IQ can watch kirbys D at bama and say donofrio runs it. He doesnt. Donofrio is garbage and so is his scheme. Saying Donofrio is like saban or Kirby in any way is absolute blasphemy.
Bottom line..we are stuck with donofrio. Which means that Donofrio and goldens job is one and the same.
Hopefully Golden leaves and takes an NFL gig and we can get a defensive coordinator who doesnt have our guys 20 yards off the ball and reacting to plays. We need a coordinator who understands that we dont have slow white boys who will get burned every play...we have superior florida athletes who can run with anyone. We press, we are aggressive, we attack. Thats what saban does. It sure as hell is not what donofrio does.
Oh and south paw...keep that left hand clean so donofrio doest get anything on his meat while your stroking him.

Pinecounty "Curse",

Saban runs a multiple front multiple formation defense just like Coach D is installing. Bama can run man because they have experience and depth to run it. Right now Coach D is keeping everything in front of these young bucks until they grow up and there's some depth. But continue on with your stupidity. You wouldn't know progress if Randy slapped you across the face with his meat puppet again.

A senior laden 6-6 Miami squad loses all of it's best players from last year and you clowns expect championships this year? You can't make this kind of BS up! You clowns take retardation to a whole new level. Strap on those helmets and jump back on that short bus mental midgets. Walmart won't even take you idiots to collect carts because you all are d-u-m-b dumb...

I stated we should fire D'ONOFRIO- I change my mind. I learned he has always had a top ranked defense. In fact he had a top ten defense in the country at...........................Temple. TEMPLE? that's amazing. Recruit some big athletic D linemen and let's get things rolling.

This some of the most idiotic post that I have read in a while. Some of you on here should really be ashamed.

I could see how Al Golden works hard and OC, Fisch as well. How about DC ? Somebody please tell me about his scheme for Hurricanes ? I think Al Golden also was a DC before somewhere. Then, he propably better knows our defense problem than DC. Why didn't he say something on that ? Because he mutually agrees with DC on our defense. Do they really think this defense will work for BSC title ? I can see something brilliant on our offense and Jedd may do much better job next year. However, I believe our defense even some improvement next year will keep our team struggle in the future. We need defense like al least FSU or Gator for BCS title. I can't see our DC can make that. Our QB is not so good and smart to lead team to any big bowl win with present defense. Can we expect this team like Butch Davis in 2000 ? 9-4, 9-4, 11-1, BSC ....
When Nick saban became BAMA coach, he run 8-5, then 11-1, and BCS ?

I believe coach Golden and like him. Can he do that like those coaches ? This year we may run 7-5, next year 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, 11-1 ?

These are excuse me

But I do know this. Next year we will win at least 9 and no bowl (ban from ncaa). In 2014, we will run for final four and BCS playoff and win title with QB Olsen. Go canest!!!!!!

sothpawCane, it's a waste of time talking to him, lol, let's recap:

He said oach OH-NO is running the same scheme as bama/saban, rofl.

He said when saban got to bama there was no talent their, rofl.

quit making yourself look foolish man, seriusly.

This guy knows absolutely nothing about football, he must be real young. saban went something like 11-0 in his second season, anyone with the name shula i cold careless about but he knew how to recruit, anybody that knows football knows saban got left a whole lot of under-utilized talent

Don't just hear the term 3-4 and think all versions of the 3-4 are the same, that's obvious what he's doing, learn football, point blank. saban's strenght as a coach was when he was a db coach, that's a clue/hint for you on why the version of the 3-4 we're running is a whole lot differnet philosophy.

This team was gutted out on purpose to make it look young on defense, than guys rolled out because they knew their draft status would go down, add to the fact of the guys that left.

Who cares about butch davis, i could careless if he was here or not, that guy knows nothing about game day coaching, one of the most conservative headcoches, his biggest strength is he knows talent and how to put a team together, game day he's garbage, in fact if he was the headcoach the year we won the national championship we might of not won it that year either, because butch always lost a game he should not have lost. If butch is the headcoach i'm no sure we get past boston college that year or even Virginia-tech, who knows. I could careless whether butch stayed or not, never mattered to me.

People keep trying to say shannon is "only a linebackers coach now" lol, foolish people, the man had to wait out his UM contract that basically stipulated that had he coached anywhere else, he would be paid at least that million dollars. by the time that cleared, their was no real solid d-co jobs available and it was to late in the process for shannon to do that. Keep in mind, shannon didn't really want to leave Miami, he's basically played and coached here his whole life besides his stint in dallas.

So he was in no rush to go anywhere. To keep saying qb's lit shannon's defenses up, lol get real, this guy really doesn't know anything, waste of time.

pinecountyCane said it perfectly when he said

"We need a coordinator who understands that we dont have slow white boys who will get burned every play...we have superior florida athletes who can run with anyone. We press, we are aggressive, we attack. Thats what saban does"
/////////////////////////

People keep sweating saban like he's the best coach in college football, lol, all saban did was take what Miami did and incorporate that into his 3-4 philosophy. I'll say this for these clowns, if spurrier was still with the gaytors, you wouldn't even here much from nick saban, spurrier would torch that 3-4 scheme pretty much every time just like texas a&m just did. For all the slobbering on nick saban people do, they forget how many games against spurrier that saban barely won, blocked fieldgoals, lol.

spurrier is at a program that he actually had to build from scratch at a team with no real history of winning anything and saban and oscar cryer barely escaped out of their with wins in their championship years against spurrier.

Keep pointing to the depth chart here as a reason for us being basically last in the country on defense. Just sit back and watch our defensive scheme and count how many times one of our d-tackles is being asked to drop back in coverage and it's a waste of time when he calls it. Or count how many times, our defensive ends, especially shayon green is being asked to cover backs in the flats, southpawCane really doesn't understand football.

Has anyone out there every played football, let alone college football? Watching it on TV or going to the games does not make you knowledgeable about the game. Playing a variation off man and zone will confuse the opposing qb, but it still leaves holes in the defense, not as many as straight up zone, but there are still holes, and a really heads up qb, with some time can find those holes. The offense usually scores enough points to win, the defense, the entire defense, is the part of the game that is lacking. Hopefully the defense will come together on Saturday, if not, the Canes my not even finish 6 and 6 because Duke does have one of the best receivers in the ACC. Let's be positive, show up for the game and make JRS feel like the OB. Go Canes!

every team in america goes through the tough times, when was the last time fsu, nebraska michigan penn state, oklahoma wisconsin south carolina and the other teams that all start out in the top twent win the national title, for that matter only one team does and no one remembers anything other than them. Look every one knows we can score on anyone and cannot stop anyone. remember that randy never even went to local high schools just ask the local coaches.it takes time, i know no one wants to hear that. if a kid wants to be a cane he will come here, sanctions or not, he will still be on tv every week and it does nothing to impede his path to the nfl, look at what al has to deal with, go to the games enjoy them and get ready for what really matters, week 2 next year as the gators roll in with the worst statistical qb and most overrated guy in the country in driskell.

I was upset at first with the loss to UVA. However, at the beginning of the season, most fans would have been happy with 6 wins and a bowl ban, considering the number of players Miami lost and the expectations. I certainly would have been happy with that. Most "experts" picked this team to finish last in the Coastal. This team is simply too young to win consistently this year. Some of the young freshmen are outstanding and should only get better with proper development. I'm not happy with D'Onofrio but we have to give this coaching staff some time. If this team doesn't improve next year then I agree there will have to be some changes. One suggestion - Golden needs to bring in some JUCOs who can play immediately and provide leadership to the younger players.

I'm ashamed of what has become of the proud U

Most everything is speculation right now , AG has not had enough time or experienced players to implement what he believes is a winning formula . We also don't know how restricted the DC feels with all the youth and injuries he's had on Def. I feel like we will get a better idea as the experience level goes up and he's able to utilize more coverages and blitzes . I know its hard to be patient when your a Canes fan but you have to crawl before you can walk .Go Canes

I am not ashamed of my team , I am disapointed that it has taken so long to get back on track but things could definately be worse , we could have had a Penn state type problem or what happened at Viginia Tech a few years ago . But I feel Once we get into next year for the coaches and these young players that we will see major improvements on both sides of the ball. Another full year for Qb , we look fantastic at Rb , and I honestly think our receivers will be scary next year. And Art should have a bigger ,stronger more experienced and consistant O line. On D Perryman , Johnson at Lb , Deon Bush , Tracy Howard , and two 4 star corners coming in at Dbs I think our D will be vastley improved . Cant wait. Go Canes

Hmmmmm......these posts think D Onofrio is now a good DC.Wow...that s a new one.Then......1 says Nick Saban is not a good coach.That s another funny one.Another says they re not upset with this team.The 12 year old Khoury Optimists football team must all have been posting today.These posts are optimistimistic and idealistic....way beyond current reality.Whatever.Go America.

I don't care how young or inexperienced the Miami defenders are, you don't learn by playing it safe. All year teams have moved up and down the field on us like they are playing a D3 team. Take some chances. I don't care if they make a few big plays on us. Your players will not learn if you coach like a coward.

D'Onofrio must go.

All you crybabies read sunny dee and Ga cane posts> Those are real true weather hardened CANE fans. We real cane fans whohave weathered the bad years, the good years, the deaths, the sanctions, the hate from theleft and from the right. All you whiners are NOT true cane fans. This is Golden's 2nd year. Give him a chance. ga cane is right. I'd say reserve judgement till 1) after the season, and definitely after 3, 4 years. randy Shannon (whom some of you with a racist tone like to compare AG to) was given 5 years. He recruited well for two, then stopped, then got lazy complacent, and cushy. he couldnt game coach himself out of a paper bag, and leftthe cupbard bare. If he was such a great coach that we let get away, he would have been picked up right away or a year later by someone. TCU's defense is not as good as it was last year so should we judge him?

If Um can put together a defense next year, they might be scary. We play the turds game 2, so you all be ready. I for one, think that the extra practices for the ACC championship and then a bowl will be extremely beneficial for recruiting, for morale, for football reasons, and it will stick it to the NCAA which will punsih UM regardless of self flagellation.

1 2 »

The comments to this entry are closed.