GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Just finished speaking with UM coach Al Golden in a solo interview at the Grandover Resort. He's here for the ACC Football Kickoff.
Some quick hits before he speaks in the late afternoon to the masses:
* He said he has no idea exactly when the NCAA penalties will be announced or are coming. He did not want to comment on the hearing. I asked him to "fill in the blank. If the NCAA penalizes UM another bowl game, I will....''
Golden's answer: "That's a great question. I will refrain from answering that as I have the last two years. I don't want to come this far with the investigation and then start commenting on something. We've shown a lot of restraint and discipline throught the whole process and I don't want to screw that up now.''
* Golden said he has not decided whether freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen, already on campus and working out with his teammates, will redshirt. "We'll see,'' he said. "They all deserve an opportunity to prove themseslves. I'm not into predicting someone's status in the future. It sets a bad precedent. We're then telling someone not to compete, which is contradictory to what we're trying to do in our culture.''
* He said no one has been punished or suspended for the beginning of the season.
* Golden expects newcomer defensive linemen Ufomba Kamalu and Al-Quadin Muhammad -- "we call him Quan,'' Golden said -- to arrive in time for the first day of fall camp on Aug. 3.
* He also expects DL Julio Derosier, a jr-college transfer, to arrive on time.
* The verdict is still out on RB Eduardo Clements, who had neck surgery and missed spring. "He's seeing the doctor this week. He's been working out with the team. We're all praying it's a clean bill of health.''
* DL Dyron Dye (Achilles' tendon surgery) is not ready to practice.
* TE Clive Walford is recuperating from an injury, as is S Deon Bush.
* OL Sunny Odogwu had minor surgery and will be OK.
* DL Kelvin Cain and WR Rashawn Scott, who have been in and out of the dog house under Golden, are "doing really well,'' Golden said. "Kelvin is stronger and heavier and is closing in on 250 pounds.''
* Two-sport star Corn Elder, Mr. Tennessee as a RB, is playing cornerback, kick returner and punt returner with the Canes.
* Ray Lewis III is now a cornerback.
SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN