« Georgia? Oklahoma State? Hawaii? How about Hurricanes? New player on football team -- and OG/T Malcolm Bunche in no-contact red jersey; more UM Canes notes... | Main | Quarterbacks take note: The Miami Hurricanes' pass rush just got significantly better in one swoop. »

Video interviews with 5 Fab Freshmen from Miami Hurricanes Media Day; plus depth chart news

Busy day at UM today since it was Media Day. Got oodles of video, audio and written content to share.

Couple quick notes:

> Got to watch the final 30 minutes of practice today (a rarity since the media isn't allowed to watch beyond stretching). Defense was very impressive. First time since Kirby Freeman was around that I thought the defense actually looked better than the offense. 

> Sophomore Antonio Crawford looked like an absolute beast (had two pass breakups against freshman Stacy Coley). Also like the impact Curtis Porter has at defensive tackle. Quite obvious defense is better with him.

> Pass rush and pass coverage looked a lot better. Run gap assignment still appears to be a work in progress. Duke Johnson and Dallas Crawford were able to break free for long runs because guys weren't where they needed to be. Still, defense won a lot of the head-to-head battles. More on practice later.

> UM released it's new depth chart.

> Even though defensive tackle Olsen Pierre is now listed as the starter at end ahead of Anthony Chickillo don't read too much into it. Pierre said he's only getting snaps there as a backup. Chickillo was injured this week and missed a lot of practice.

> The fact Thurston Armbrister is now listed as the starter at strongside linebacker ahead of freshman Alex Figueroa is probably a move to create more motivation for Figueroa, who is obviously still adjusting himself to the playbook, etc. 

> The most interesting battle for me will be who emerges as the team's fourth cornerback. Freshman Artie Burns has been impressive and defensive coordinator Mark D'Onofrio echoed those sentiments saying he's giving Nate Dortch a battle there. 

> Offensively the big shakeup was Jonathan Feliciano moving past Malcolm Bunche as the starter at left guard. Again, don't read too much into it. Bunche was running with the ones today. Odds are he and Feliciano will split a lot of playing time anyway. 

VIDEO INTERVIEWS

> Meet freshman defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad, easily the most interesting interview of the day. Kid says told me he has moves some people have probably never seen others make. D'Onofrio and Golden love him.

> He's only a freshman, but cornerback Ray Lewis III is already showing us he's capable of speaking in front of cameras and maybe speaking up and delivering speeches to the entire team.

> Meet linebacker Alex Figueroa, easily the freshman most likely to play a ton this season. He talked about sitting out a season and what his expectations are this season at UM. He's currently listed second at strongside linebacker.

> Meet tight end Standish Dobard, who like Figueroa has been around since the spring. He said getting lit up by sophomore linebacker Raphael Kirby this spring was his welcome to college moment.

> Meet freshman receiver Stacy Coley, who talks about what he needs to improve now that he's in college.

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

"The fact Thurston Armbrister is now listed as the starter at strongside linebacker ahead of freshman Alex Figueroa is probably a move to create more motivation for Figueroa, who is obviously still adjusting himself to the playbook, etc. "

Very dismissive of kid who put on 20 lbs after playing LB for the first time last season at safety size. Who was Figs competing against in the spring exactly? Armbrister was out. Cornileus too. Paul gone. Eddie Johnson gone. He had almost no competition. So less than week after Armbrister comes off back he takes that black jersey.

You wrote you can't watch practice. So your assumption is nothing but speculative nonsense until proven otherwise.


"I think a lot of the poor defense last year was because of inexperience and lack of size, but I think D'Onofrio was to blame as well. I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if the defense does not improve significantly this year (i.e. top 50 defense in yards allowed) he needs to be fired. He has the bodies and the depth now in my opinion."

SunnyDee,
I agree, I posted my opinion on what's going on regarding the defense and the approach to play a Pittsburg style 3-4 defense on another blog. (I would go a little further and say top 35 is where we need to be, I expect us to control the ball more late in games to secure leads)

"If he can't develop them or come up with a scheme to best utilize the talent, he does not belong at UM"

Also agree with this as well. Right now I won't question the coaches ability to develop just yet because this type of defense is tough for guys to learn, however we can't continue to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. My biggest fear is the scheme don't work, he's fired, now we're looking for another d-co; however we are limited in hiring one because the new coaches scheme will have to be similar (upfront at least) with the current d-co. If we hire outside of that we will be close to starting over again up front. The current scheme doesn't require monster d-tackles so it appears we aren't vigorously going after any (only judging by current verbals)

Thanks for the great article and videos!

And you go ahead and keep speculating. You are still closer to the action than the folks that are way outside the fences, so far that they don't even see the fences.

Look when u have inexperiance at d sometimes u have to be vanilla. If player's aren't where they need to be u have to simplify. People don't understand that. I expect miami's defense to be vastly better this year. If they aren't then go ahead rip coach d. he will deserve it because there isn't the inexperiance excuse this year or size excuse. Which were legitimate and depth was an issue as well the last few years. Those aren't issues anymore.

Not to take a cheap shot at a former Cane but in all honesty, with Kirby Freeman running the offense back in 2006,2007 and 2008 last years defense would have been ahead of any offense he was running. I know K. Wright was also the qb during this period but K. Freeman was just plain bad. Freeman and F. Costa may have been the worst qb's the "U" has had in over thirty years.

Brock Berlins first year was bad but in his second he had over 20td passes and under 10 picks. Not to mention he was 5-0 with two bowl victories over FSU and UF. Ryan Collins also sticks out as not being very good in the 90's under Erickson. Aside from Collins and Costa every other qb who played for the "U" during their Big East days led the league in passing every year. That is true even for Clement and Covington. Go Canes.

DOn't worry Sunny dee, football people exactly what you're talking about. The scheme that coach goldie and crew are trying to implement is the same defense notre shame implored last year, only they even ran a more aggressive version and while it's a defense that teaches to not give up the big play, we still got behind them but after the 1st quarter they adjusted they're safties and forced us to try and run a more efficient offense in the passing game which smo17 if he's improved that's where he needs to improve on.

Had he used mike james more against notre shame, we could've scored points, instead we tried to pass all game long against a team that's designed to take away certain passing routes. The scheme by design is flawed but relies mostly on getting heavy pressure. But the out routes are there almost all game long along with curl routes. The way we have our linebackers lined up, if we don't get pressure, one or 2 of the linebackers are going to get beat chasing speedy wide-outs especially if they go with a 3 widereceiver set it's a done deal.

For a coordinator to be worried only about points allowed tells you all you need to know about his mindset, which says exactly what those of us who know football have been saying, this scheme concedes the outs and flats but relies on once a team gets in the redzone of making sure you only give up 3 points, it doesn't care if you get down there, just give up 3 points or get a turn-over in the redzone. To many people in Miami understand football to well to tolerate that crap.

What this type of defense does probably worst of all, is give the opposing team supreme confidence that they'll be able to continue to make plays as oppose to the our normal 4-3 based defense that just focused on taking everything away. When teams got in 3rd and longs against our defenses before coach goldie came along, they normally played it safe, now when teams get into 3rd and longs against us, they open their offense.

oach OH-NO didn't even say 3rd down defense, all he said was points allowed, and i'm sure he said that after he looked at the schedule and is basically circling a few games that should make our scoring average look good if we shut them out, pathetic way of thinking. And if you're worried about a scoring average that means you're not playing real defense anyway and like i said earlier about coach muschamp, he's drawing alot of defensive players because of his deameanor alone and his philosophy on defense.

When a coach goes on national t.v. and at halftime they asking him about how has his team been able to move the ball against the #1 defense in the nation and muschamp said "we believe we've been playing better defense than them all year" and on top of that, it wasn't lie because they went out there and deebo'ed Fsu, in the meantime in our locker room coach goldie is hollering after the Fsu lost "it's ok, they're a lil bit ahead of us right now" another concession, when the reality was, they're coaching staff was just ahead of our coaching staff point blank.

Unecessary on-side kick after halftime when you're only down by 3 and i was glad we didn't get it becaue it would've been worst had we gotten the on-side kick and didn't get a touchdown or score period. Than we in position to get touchdowns and coach goldie playing around calling fade routes for robert lockhart, man we ain't got time for that.

Yeah he definitely needs to focus on third down which is just as important points allowed. I hope we don't see anymore de's in the flats.

Hey Kehoe: Just keep waiting UR turn: This dumb DC and the rest of this stupid crew will be gone soon. Then U and Barrow can round up some back in the dayers, bring JJ in as a consultant, touch base with Butch and get RS on board somehow.

It's going to take a guy like Kehoe to turn this around.

I'm not to worried about the O. Although I do have some problems with the OC.

This defense is going to keep this team rooted in trouble. The D does not have a standard-bearer and that is a problem.

Same nonsense from Lady Calvina as always.

Why won't she put her $ where her mouth is and predict our defensive ranking.

I'm at 60th. Five titles at same.

Lady Calvina too scared to predict, because when shown wrong her storyline gets even dumber, if that's possible.

It's probably true that the coaches fashion their strategies around the personnel they have.

Coach D takes a look at his personnel--what they can do well and what they can't do very well--and coaches to what he sees.

Given time to build his defense the way he wants it, he'll probably adjust his overall strategy accordingly.

If the 'Canes' offense plays as good as it looks well, that also will factor into Coach D's strategy. If the offense is putting up a lot of points, opposing offenses will be forced into a certain kind of game plan. If he knows what to expect from opposing offenses, he'll have his defense ready.

The season draws nigh. We'll all have plenty to comment on soon enough.

I can't wait to see the 'Canes' offense square off against the Gator D.


Yeah he definitely needs to focus on third down which is just as important points allowed. I hope we don't see anymore de's in the flats.

Posted by: Tallycane | August 09, 2013 at 05:08 PM
///////////////////////////////////

Or curtis porter the best d-lineman thus far hands down. He's old school in their, and plays the game on the inside the way it's suppose to be played and gets pissed if someone tries and out-man em in the trenches, that man has 1st round potential. He stays healthy, that'll definitely upgrade the d-line if they usng him to pass rush.

lakeworthCane, you giving clown 117th to much credit, if he thought the way you're saying, than he would force teams to prove that they're widereceivers are worth playing 8 to 10 yards off of and than running back even further before the ball is snapped as if everybody has top notch receivers. Any real d-co will tell you, if i can play-man than that'll free them up to use the other 9 guys to wreck havoc.

Instead we'l rush 3 and drop 8 back into coverage and somebody is still getting open, if i'm dropping 8 into coverage, if they only got a 3 man route, if you play press-man on 3 of them, you 5 other guys to cover them even more, but instead we dropping all 8 in zone coverage, a receiver sits down and has an accurate qb, that's a completion.

The Prospector: Hurricanes making push to own South Florida once again

When Howard Schnellenberger took over as the University of Miami head coach in 1979, he pledged to win a national title within five years and to do so with local talent.

Schnellenberger figured if he didn’t let the local players skip town to join other programs, he had a pretty good chance of establishing something special right in the heart of America’s talent-laden hotbed of South Florida.

When thinking about UM and its football glory days, many names of homegrown stars who all played key roles in Miami’s five national titles come to mind. Eddie Brown, Michael Irvin, brothers Brian Blades and Bennie Blades, Melvin Bratton, Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson, Jonathan Vilma, Darrin Smith, Sean Taylor, Michael Barrow, Craig Erickson and on and on, all helped the reach the top during their careers.

This is the 30th anniversary season of UM’s first national title. Miami High’s Eddie Brown starred on the UM team that knocked off Nebraska to cap the 1983 season. So it’s quite appropriate that current Hurricanes head coach Al Golden and his staff have resurrected The U’s local recruiting dominance with the current recruiting class.

Of the 26 commitments to the 2014 class, Miami has 17 players from South Florida. The latest pledge came from Deerfield Beach running back Brandon Powell, who flipped his earlier Tennessee commitment during the weekend and pledged to Miami on Saturday night.

It says a lot for Al Golden and his staff to have been able to make such a drastic infiltration into the local landscape.

Last year they signed players like Miami Northwestern CB Artie Burns, Miami Southridge S Jamal Carter and Oakland Park Northeast WR Stacy Coley.

This year's class is very impressive and South Florida-strong. In January, Golden took a major step in securing the area of defectors by luring FSU assistant James Coley back to his Miami roots, hiring him to become the Hurricanes’ offensive coordinator. Not only will Coley be able to take control of the offense, which he has always wanted, he will also be able to sharpen his recruiting skills right in his own backyard.

Don’t think the kids playing in that backyard haven’t taken notice.

“I think it’s very important,” said recently committed Booker T. cornerback Nigel Bethel. “Once other guys see players such as myself buying in with the plan, they’ll see that they are getting things back on track. Al Golden has a winning plan and when you want to be successful you gotta have a plan, and the plan is to have all the guys in South Florida back here where we should be.”

Miami Northwestern defensive end Mike Smith pledged to the Hurricanes in mid-July and he had similar sentiments.

“There is a lot of great talent in South Florida and if Coach Golden can keep it at home, they can win a lot of championships at the University of Miami,” Smith said. “A lot of guys grow up watching Miami Hurricanes football. We know how it used to be and that’s where we want it to be again.”

Bethel said he knows the ’Canes are close to finishing off their 2014 recruiting class, but he also knows one other player he’d like to see join him in Coral Gables.

“I think they have my position wrapped up, but I think if Chris Lammons wants to commit, I don’t think they will turn him down,” Bethel said of the athletic Plantation cornerback, who can also play safety.

The Miami 2014 class also includes local stars like Miami Central RB Joseph Yearby, Booker T. Washington DE Chad Thomas and Palm Beach Central OT Kc McDermott.

Signs at roadside fruit stands often urge us to “Buy Local,” and the ’Canes are paying attention.

In 2005, Al Golden took over a Temple football program that had gone 26 seasons without a bowl game, was riding a 12-game losing streak and had just been voted out of the Big East because of lack of support.

"We were 120 out of 120 (in the Football Bowl Subdivision)," Golden said.

But surviving that challenge wasn't nearly as difficult, Golden acknowledged last week, as what he has experienced in his first two seasons at the University of Miami. Now, with resolution to the Nevin Shapiro scandal on the horizon, Golden is hopeful that his program has already endured the most crippling blows and can springboard into the 2013 season on a trajectory to rejoin the nation's elite.

"This has been as hard as anything I've ever seen anyone encounter in college football," Golden said. "I think you can get the sense from our players that it's back to business as normal right now. I don't know what's going to happen the next couple weeks, but this is the most normal six weeks we've had at Miami since I've been there, period."

Almost two years exactly since Yahoo! Sports first reported claims that Shapiro, a former booster in jail for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, had provided improper benefits to dozens of Miami football players, the NCAA could issue its ruling on the case as soon as next month.

Though reviewing investigations and assessing penalties can take longer than expected — especially for cases this large and complex — it has been more than six weeks since Miami met with the NCAA Committee on Infractions, which means a decision could come any day.

And when that verdict comes, it will bring a sense of relief to a program that has only known uncertainty since Shapiro's allegations came to light and self-imposed two bowl bans in hopes of softening the NCAA's blow.

"It's just a cloud that's been looming over the University of Miami but the biggest thing for us to do right now is focus and get ready for the season," Hurricanes quarterback Stephen Morris said. "Any decision being made right now is completely out of our hands."

It is possible, perhaps even likely, that the NCAA will impose additional penalties. But at least Golden will know what he's dealing with, as opposed to the past two years in which everything has appeared in flux and the investigation has dragged on.

Last season, Miami didn't decide until Nov. 19 — the week of the regular-season finale — to hold itself out of the postseason for a second consecutive year. Meanwhile, the NCAA admitted in January to misconduct in its enforcement division during the investigation, which led to the firing of vice president for enforcement Julie Roe Lach and a pledge to throw out evidence that was collected improperly. Shortly thereafter, school President Donna Shalala called for the NCAA to accept Miami's self-imposed penalties as sufficient to close the case.

But through all the rhetoric, politics and ambiguity about the program's future, Golden has kept things afloat by going 6-6 and 7-5. He has also declined opportunities to leave Miami, banking on the school's brand name and tradition more than the potential of crippling penalties. As Golden points out, when Miami is "right," it is a program capable of winning five national titles in the last 30 years.

"I didn't know what was waiting behind 'Curtain No. 5' over there, but that's what drew me to the school was the ability to attract that type of talent," Golden said. "We've had kids come and go like every program every year, but not one kid has walked into my office with his family and said, 'I'm leaving because I don't know what the future is with the NCAA; it's too tenuous, I want out.' And that's a testament to the young kids and the commitment they've made to each other."

Assuming the worst of the NCAA sanctions are over, Golden actually has Miami well-positioned for big leaps forward the next couple years.

Despite absorbing two severe beatings early last season — 52-13 at Kansas State and 41-3 at Notre Dame — the Hurricanes finished with three wins in their last four games and won the Atlantic Coast Conference's Coastal Division with a very young and improving roster. The postseason ban prevented them from playing in the ACC title game and getting a second chance at Florida State, which won the first meeting 33-20.

"I didn't want to watch it," Morris said. "It's tough knowing you're supposed to be in that game, but I can't control it. (The administration was) making decisions in the best interests of the university, and whatever they say goes. I stood behind them the whole way."

Miami hopes the payoff is coming soon. With 20 starters back — most in the ACC — the Hurricanes were picked in the preseason media poll to win the division again, and they would like to know before the season begins whether they'll be eligible to play for the title.

"I hope the adversity we've encountered the last two years has prepared us for this in that we're not thinking ahead, that we're internally focused and driven and not worried about anything else or what anybody says about us good or bad," Golden said. "If they want to continue to move forward and they're ready to take the next step that's great."


I love Al Golden he is the bestest ever!
He brings in all the local recruits he is the best recruiter in the nation.
His record speaks for itself.

Can we make a rule "Canes Fans only". I am so sick of the troll fans from other schools on here. Is your team just not interesting to you? I could care less what is going on at FSU or UF. I only care about my Canes. Get over it RS is gone. Coach Golden has done nothing but work his A$$ off to get this program up out of the gutter that it sunk to since the mid 2000's. He has kept his word, recruited his a$$ off, led us through an NCAA investigation that occurred under another staff. I am looking forward to serving a couple of you your crow. Would like some gator punch with it?

First semi-intelligent thing the delUsionalcane has ever posted.

Had he referenced the Canes superiority over the Gators he would have touched all bases.

Go Canes!

Canes 85th in defense in 2012. Need to improve significantly to be at least in the top 1/2.

With more depth and the players bigger/stronger/better conditioned/lower body fat, we should be able to do that. We got pushed around lot last year.

oh , remember the Brock Berlin days.
This is why Miami got sent to Quarter back purgatory,
many don't remember when Ken Dorsey left....

We had a great quarter back , but he wasn't allowed to play. Derrick Crudup, I believe Miami didn't want a black quarter back at the time, so what they do?
Go and get a Florida Gator Spy , and remember we were #3 in the country when we had to make a miracle come back against florida. We loose the next game i believe to some powder puff.... Look at the roster of that team and we should have went back to the national, we just came off two back to back national championship appearances getting robbed of the last one. We been garbage ever since. It's ironic back to back black quarter backs, in which we will win the national this year, if the coaches don't screw it up.

Do you all not see what the NCAA is doing?
They are waiting to see how good we are?
If we are looking to good , they slam us ,
If we are looking somewhat suspect , they may wait longer.
They could have mad a decision last year when all those players were suspended, etc, how can this process carry over 12 more months. Is the NCAA short handed ?
It wont surprise me they wait til around the gator game to announce it as distraction.
The NCAA is trying to sabatoge us as they did Jacory's last year, if not for that i believe we would of actually been good. Ray Ray, Aldarious, and more carreers have been destroyed all becasue they had a meal or went to the club. These athletes are prisoners and they use this scholarship deal as an excuse to hold over their heads. NCAA don't get it twisted you wont offer a scholarship to some who wont make the team money period.

I, as well as Arty, have stayed away the entire Summer from ur little Candy Canes on crack blog, but the absolute delusional cane ridiculousness has returned and getting all outta whacked amped up as the College Football Season draws closer. It has come to my attention that there are some cane clucks out there that are popping off how u have better D.B.'s than the Mighty GATORS and will be a better 'efense than them by season's end because, "our 'efense is a year older, stronger, smarter and experienced." What u dopes still fail to realize is that they are still the same average talented players led by the same proven below average D.C. Those things will never change. ur 'efense sucked... sucks... and will continue to suck. 450yrds./40+ pts. is ur 'efense destiny u silly, out of touch, know nothing, delusional, in denial, stUpid always waiting til next year Cane Clucks... Consider urselves warned.

.

Phil Savage‏@SeniorBowlPhil5 Aug

Most #NCAA schools have 1, maybe 2 corners that can actually "play". Point is #Gators have at least 4 this yr. Pressure + coverage = top D.

Phil Savage‏@SeniorBowlPhil5 Aug

#Gators may have best looking set of corners in nation: 14 Watkins, 15 Loucheiz Purifoy, 5 Marcus Roberson and 16 Vernon Hargraves. #players


.


But what does a former NFL GM and now Director of the Senior Bowl know right?

And the reason why Tracey Howard went to duh u is because of the Fifth Corner 5-STAR Brian Poole, who was Rated HIGHER than Howard out of High School in 2012 is now the main Nickle and Dime slot coverman.


#24 Brian Poole was a highly rated five star and recruited defensive back out of Southeast High School in Bradenton, Florida. He chose Florida over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame and South Carolina.


As a freshman, Poole played in 12-of-13 games, mainly as a special teams player.

Player Evaluation

Strengths

Poole is a very physical, athletic defensive back. He excels playing underneath and will likely play nickel for the Gators this season. Poole is at his best when playing at the line of scrimmage, he is strong against the run and can cover slot receivers as well.

Poole is a good tackler and delivers a solid hit when he meets the ball carrier. He plays with a high motor and pursues plays very well.


What to Expect

Poole is projected to start at nickel back for the Gators, which means you’ll see a lot of him this season. Will Muschamp estimated that the Gators play in nickel or dime packages 80% of the time their defense is on the field. That is just the nature of playing against teams that spread the field and use a lot of pass-heavy sets.

Poole will likely continue to be a special teams stand out while also starting at nickel.

.

U canes dopes have no clue. Like stated above, ur best corner would be Florida's 6th. best if that. U have just ONE player on ur entire Defense that would see the field for Florida. LB Perryman, that's IT... The O-Line is equal. U brag on ur Wide-outs but not ONE made ANY Pre-Season All-ACC team. Duke is a good player but would be nothing more than a complimentary in the SEC where Backs are tandem workhorses. Gators have three at 6-2/235 Jones - 6/220 Brown and 6/215 Taylor. U have ZERO depth behind Duke Johnson. Get back to me around mid-season when he's all beat to hell with ankle, hip and shoulder injuries sitting on the sidelines. I'll give u Morris, but just for now. Driskel is asked to manage the game. Not win it by tossing the ball all around the yard against terrible ACC 'efenses. It's an SEC thang. U would have no idea about having to play a game against a top rated D. The best D u faced all year was Notre Dame, and we all saw just how good they turned out to be.

But u keep beating ur bird chests and shouting from the mountain tops how this is ur year for the 8th. season in a row u incredibly dumb cluck...

Typical cane cluck, all bark and no bite.


and u better damn well pray that Morris or Dookie don't go down hard for turf-toe, an ankle, knee, hip, ribs, shoulders, neck or head injuries and under the knife.... ='s OVA fo u

.

HOLA ARTY !!! 21 DAYS BROTHER !!! Let's do this !

So be prepared, unlike 'Onofrio, for ur daily on and off the field ...

BEATDOWNS !

A DECADE and u is STILL GOING SSSCCCRRRROOOOONNNNG !

THE REAL DON SOLDY is an idiot . I don't hear any mention of the Gayturds being one of the worst offenses in the country . If you cant score you cant win . I guess we should just give up Canes fans they have Brian Poole ,we don't have a chance. Maybe he should be your QB . Go Canes

Disagree Georgia, Soldy made very good points, you may not like his style or name calling but most of what he said is valid. I also read some idiot claiming UM had better DBs than UF which is ridiculous. Besides that, the point about Duke is valid. He can't go all year alone without gettig worn out or injured.
Your point about the Gator offense is misleading, they had one of the worst passing offenses in the league but their running game was one of the best. And they did score enough to win 11 games. Don't know why he highlighted Poole, but the top 3 corners are really good, so is the DL.
This coming game will be a test of your strenght, the offense vs the Gator strenght, the defense.
We will soon find out, Sept 7 can't get here soon enough.

305 Gator....please explain player by player how your starting 4 BD'S are better then ours?

And don't tell me because you have a 5* freshman either....

Fake Soldy's puff piece on gayturd corners is humorous for what it doesn't say.

1. Is the 4th or 5th cb going to make Driskell any smarter or is he still going to be north Florida dumb?

2. Who is Driskell going to try tothrow it to?

3. UF has been king of the smurf backs, why did they extend that to the safety position?

Louisville wants another go.

do they not teach spelling in Gainesville? (it's strength noth strenght) Anyway, you guys can talk all you want about alachua county's most wanted list, err the gators, but ultimately we will see what happens on sep. 7th. Preseason talk is just that, talk. That said, I really don't see how anyone can defend the atrocious gator offense but to each his own.

full speed ahead and Go Canes!

I am petrified of the Canes…after all; I’m a cowardly gator…

.

I, as well as Arty, have stayed away the entire summer from my little Cowardly Gators on crack, but the absolute delusional Cowardly Gator ridiculousness has returned and getting all outta whacked amped up as the College Football Season draws closer. It has come to my attention that there are some Cowardly Gators out there that are popping off how we have better offensive players than the Mighty CANES and will be a better offense than them by season's end because, "our offense is a year older, stronger, smarter and experienced." What u dopes still fail to realize is that they are still the same average talented players led by the same proven below average gator offensive Coordinator. Those things will never change. our offense sucked... sucks... and will continue to suck. 55yrds./10 pts. is ur 'offense destiny u silly, out of touch, know nothing, delusional, in denial, stUpid always waiting til next year Cowardly Gator clucks... Consider urselves warned.

.

Phil Savage‏@SeniorBowlPhil5 Aug

Most #NCAA schools have 1, maybe 2 corners that can actually "play". Point is #Miami has at least 4 this yr. Pressure + coverage = top D.

Phil Savage‏@SeniorBowlPhil5 Aug

#Miami may have best looking set of corners in nation!


.


But what does a former NFL GM and now Director of the Senior Bowl know right?

And the reason why Tracey Howard went to duh u is because of the winning tradition and the Canes always putting defensive backs in the NFL, Miami is always Rated HIGHER than the cowardly gators.


#24 Brian Poole was a highly overrated five star and recruited defensive back out of Southeast High School in Bradenton, Florida. He has proven to be yet another wildly overrated cowardly gator failure who chose Florida. The following teams turned him down and would not offer the clown a schollie; Miami, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and South Carolina.


As a freshman, Poole was a joke, mainly as a special teams player.

Player Evaluation

Weaknesses

Poole is a very weak, unathletic defensive back. He excels at nothing and will likely play nickel for the Gators this season, because he’s the best those clowns have. Poole is at his best when playing with himself, he is weak against the run and can’t cover slot receivers as well.

Poole is a terrible tackler and never delivers a solid hit when he meets the ball carrier. He plays with a laughingly slow motor and never pursues plays very well.


What to Expect

Poole is projected to start at nickel back for the Gators, which means you’ll get to laugh a lot at him this season. Will “The Bagman” Muschamp estimated that the Gators play in nickel or dime packages 80% of the time their defense is on the field. That is just the nature of playing against teams that spread the field and use a lot of pass-heavy sets and are much better than us.

Poole will likely continue to be a special teams joke while also starting at nickel.

.

U cowardly gator dopes have no clue. Like stated above, ur best corner would be Miami’s 6th. best if that. U have just ONE player on ur entire Defense that would see the field for Miami. LB Perryman, is fantastic... Your O-Line is spectaular. U brag on ur Wide-outs as all of them Pre-Season All-America teams. Duke is a great, great, great player and would be starring in the NFL today. Miami has three other great running backs at 6-2/235 - 6/220 and 6/215 . U have ZERO depth at running back or any other position. Get back to me around mid-season when we are all beat to hell with ankle, hip and shoulder injuries sitting on the sidelines. I'll give u Morris, he will win the Heisman. Driskel is asked to manage the game, but couldn’t manage a pay toilet. He can’t win it by tossing the ball all around the yard against ACC 'defenses. It's an SEC thang….WE’RE ALL CRIMINALS! U would have no idea about having to play a game against a top rated PRISON TEAM LIKE THE GATORS. The best D we faced all year was Louisville, and we all saw just how they demolished our overrated girls.

But we keep beating our sunken bird chests and shouting from the mountain tops how this is our year. This will be our 120th season in a row without an undefeated season...we are a joke and always have been.

Typical cowardly gator cluck, all bark and no bite.


and u better damn well pray that ur little girls don't go down hard for turf-toe, an ankle, knee, hip, ribs, shoulders, neck or head injuries and under the knife.... ='s OVA fo u

.

HOLA ARTY !!! 21 DAYS BROTHER !!! We are going to be demolished by the Canes !


Driskel has 4 WINS verses Top-25 Teams in 1 year as a starter. 4-2

Morris has 0 WINS verses Top-25 Teams in 2 years as a starter. 0-8

Q.B.'s are rated for 1 thing... WINS. u were saying ?

Driskel- 11-2... 2 losses to Top-10 teams.

Morris- 6-6 and 7-5... and 3 losses to teams with a losing record.


So what good is having a high powered potent offense if u can't beat a Ranked team in the last 4 years ?

next ?

As long as oach OH-NO/clown 117th is here, there is no need in debating these gaytors about who has the best db's when our db's are mostly being used like safeties. Our db's don't play press-man like we use to do it or try and re-route receivers how we use to do it, that's the type of defense muschamp has brought to the gaytors now so mentally they're defense is tougher because the scheme alone is more aggressive. While we're over seeing some of our coaches on defense getting amped up and high-fiving about batted balls, muschamp is over there using our old blue-print for defense and it's working cause he has alot of Florida born players.

Most people who know football knew back in the days when we played Fsu or the "run from us" gaytors, those games were won mostly on heart not by the x's and o's. I see alot of people talking about the gaytors defense is going to be weak/er because they lost alot of players to the nfl, this is how i know alot of yall hve just become UM fans, because that's the same thing people use to say about us and alot of times the defense that played the year after was better than the year before.

I could careless how many gaytors went to the league last year, that defensive system they have is not going nowhere so what this game is going to come down to is will our receivers be able to beat their man all game in one on one coverage and will smo17 be accurate enuff all game long to fit the ball into those windows. We saw what happened against Fsu last year, the bad ankle was no excuse because jeff driskel had a bad ankle when he faced Fsu to.

muschamp had been recruiting defense real well over in gaytorville, it's a reason they were only 1 game away from the national championship and let the Truth be told, had they gone instead of notre shame, it would've been a way better game and the gaytors more than likely would've won it, people can say "oh, they couldn't even beat louisville" bama doesn't have teddy bridgewater as their qb and bama wouldn't of been able to run all over the gaytors like they did shame, none of bama's runningbacks would have intimidated the gaytors so it would've been a real war. See the Georgia game for comparison.

By the way, don't be surprised if ermon lane and quincy wilson end up with Georgia although Georgia hasn't offered wilson that i know of. But if you see lammons, lane & wilson all going to the gaytors, that'll tell you all you need to know and what they're telling lane, just like bama with amari cooper being what they said was the missing piece, they're telling ermon lane the same thing.

The gaytors were always the softest team in the state, but you can't say that no more with muschamp being there. Right now as long as we got clown 117th here between him and goldie with that sissy defensive philosophy that they believe, we'll continue to be the softest team in the state until proven otherwise. While we all know we got the best talent at the wide-out position out of all the teams in the state and in the country, how will they re-act going against db's that press them all game long because the timing will be different.

In the Fsu game last year, our guys were not getting separation, reason being, they don't go up against that kind of defense in practice everyday. james coley will know how to attack Fsu but it's going to be a chess match.

The main thing we got going for us on offense when it comes to facing anybody is our o-line coached by the mindset of art kehoe. Them boys are going to bring it against anybody, so whoever faces our o-line will be in a real dog fight all game long. That gaytor knows his football, and when he said "dzp would be the only defender we have that would see the field right now" he's almost right. He hasn't seen enuff of curtis porter yet, but the rest of them, although i do think 3g if groomed a different way would be a better d-linemen. deon bush might have, but after that. Until we see it, the rest of our guys aren't being coached in an aggressive scheme.

Never thought i'd see the day when the gaytors were running a more aggressive defensive scheme than us or even had a more aggressive team coming in until proven otherwise. Forget all the "goldie is rebuilding talk" he's getting ready to go up against a guy who's only been a headcoach for 3 years total, in the meantime coach goldie is going into his 8th year as a headcoach but of course 3rd year here. Alot of there starters are players muschamp recruited and the same is going to be for coach goldie.

Getting james coley here, we're just now getting back on track when it comes to recruiting the right kind of players here again. Going into a dawg fight against the gaytors with a guy like alex figuerora is going to test his heart right away, this is when you need eddie johnson & gionni paul, thomas finnie wouldn't be bad to have as well. I don't think figs is going to be ready for the mental side of the game. dzp running with eddie gaines(nice young man but time for him to show up).

On the back end we got some dawgs back there not being allowed to play to their personality, but it's going to be alot of trash talking going on out there and if i see us start wilting, just know, the team has taking on the personality of the headcoach. In shannon's 3rd year, the team took on his personality and shined, this is coach goldie's 3rd year here, let's see what kind of personality the team has this year.

" I look at these Canes in Golden’s third season and see a potentially great team. "

" Not good — great. " Greg Cote, Miami Herald
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However... Mr Cote failed to take into account Miami's highly suspect defense. hUh

And yes, the Canes will have a winning season, yet it won't be a ' great winning season. "

Matter of F-A-C-T, this team is a LEGITIMATE defensive coordinator, from being a Top 15 squad. Be it this season, or campaigns down the turnpike. hUh

The bottom line is Mr. Cote and Hurricane fandom bloody well EXPECT for ' Mo Duke ' and the Miami offensive line and wide-outs, to CARRY D'Onofrio's porky self and what not.

And Miami bUbba's, it's an absolute IMPOSSIBILITY for a Top 20 offense to carry a QUESTIONABLE d-unit, the entire season.

I don't see where Shannon's 3rd year team did anything but have a season like a rollercoaster winning some games over a depleted Oklahoma team and losing games they should have won. That's not exactly shining, Calvina.

2012 Time of Possession

UF #9
UM #119

dismiss Driskel all u want. When a team dominates T.O.P. AND consistently flips the field with ST's, it spells disaster for your ANEMIC 'efense. But im sure that 119th ranked T.O.P. squad of yours will be top 25 this year....RIIIIEEEEEET? fools

[]_[] won't know what hit you fools.

Mr. Manuel seems like an objective, credible college/professional sports scribe and what not.

So if he says the defense is shinning, then maybe all my bloody NEGATIVE, cold bellowing is all for naught. Eh. What say.

By the way, I have gone on record at least TWICE, and touted that DB Burns would be a STARTER by the 6th game of the season. Who knows perhaps A.B. could penned in as a Hurricane starter by the 5th game of the season.

" coach OH-NO didn't even say 3rd down defense, all he said was points allowed, and i'm sure he said that after he looked at the schedule and is basically circling a few games that should make our scoring average look good if we shut them out, pathetic way of thinking. And if you're worried about a scoring average that means you're not playing real defense anyway and like i said earlier about coach muschamp, he's drawing alot of defensive players because of his deameanor alone and his philosophy on defense. " CALVIN
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words, Miami's suspect defensive coordinator EXPECTS the HIGH-OCTANE offense to CARRY the squad the entire season. And that is totally IMPOSSIBLE!

Also, with the Cincinnatti Kid doing the primary kicking duties, the field position will FAVOR the Hurricanes the majority of the time. Another LUXURY D'Onofrio, and Green nd' Orange Ace card he has to rely on this season. hUh

I see alot of people talking about the gaytors defense is going to be weak/er because they lost alot of players to the nfl, this is how i know alot of yall hve just become UM fans, because that's the same thing people use to say about us and alot of times the defense that played the year after was better than the year before.

Posted by: Calvin | August 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

.

As a born and raised S. Miamian and early 80's Coral Gables High Grad, U Sir, are a pleasure to read and a highly Intelligent Historical Miami Hurricane Football fan. And certainly not a blind fanatic like so many here. I look forward to having some Intellectual College Football discussions with you in the future...

Good luck to you Sir on Sept. 7th. The Better team will Win.


I'm at 60th. Five titles at same.

Lady Calvina too scared to predict, because when shown wrong her storyline gets even dumber, if that's possible.

Posted by: mountain cane | August 09, 2013 at 05:38 PM

666, 666, 666

And any B.C.S. team ranked No. 60 and lower will end up with at least THREE LOSSES. If not FOUR losses this season.

Again, Miami will NEVER return to legitimate Top 10 status, and play in a B.C.S. bowl game. Let alone be a N.C. contender with D'Onofrio as the Canes defensive coordinator!!

Heck, D'Onofrio has already gone on record and is basically telling y'all Cane bUbba's, that he EXPECTS the offense to carry the entire squad. Albeit special teams will be another TRUMP CARD for Goldie this season. Especially with the Cincinnatti Kid handling the kicking duties and what not. hUh


So what good is having a high powered potent offense if u can't beat a Ranked team in the last 4 years ?

next ?

Posted by: FACT | August 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

-------------------

Well, Stevie would've led Miami to a few more victories last season. Unfortunately, the Cane defensive coordinator's ploys were highly questionable and what not.


If you cant score you cant win . Go Canes

Posted by: Ga Cane | August 10, 2013 at 09:53 AM

000000000000000000000


And if a B.C.S. squad CAN'T stop an opposing foe, they can't win.

In other words, it goes both ways, bUbba!!

Aaron Hernandez says hi! Riley Cooper says...well, you know what Riley says...

.

see alot of people talking about the gaytors defense is going to be weak/er because they lost alot of players to the nfl, this is how i know alot of yall have just become honest fans, because that's the same thing I use to say about my gaytors and alot of times the defense that played the year after was worse than the year before.

Posted by: Calvin | August 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

.

Me being a born and raised hillbilly and early 80's meth head, U Sir, are a pleasure to read and are a highly insane backwoods cowardly gator pretending o be a Miami Hurricane Football fan. And you certainly don't have a clue about anything, like me and so many other cowardly gators who post here. I look forward to having some moronic College Football discussions with you in the future...

Good luck to you Sir on Sept. 7th. cause even I know the Canes are going to demolish my cowardly gators.


I see alot of people talking about the gaytors defense is going to be weak/er because they lost alot of players to the nfl, this is how i know alot of yall hve just become UM fans, because that's the same thing people use to say about us and alot of times the defense that played the year after was better than the year before.

Posted by: Calvin | August 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

.

As a born and raised S. Miamian and early 80's Coral Gables High Grad, U Sir, are a pleasure to read and a highly Intelligent Historical Miami Hurricane Football fan. And certainly not a blind fanatic like so many here. I look forward to having some Intellectual College Football discussions with you in the future...

Good luck to you Sir on Sept. 7th. The Better team will Win.

Posted by: THE REAL DON SOLDY | August 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM
/////////////////////////////////////

We'll need all he luck we can get with clown 117th running/ruining the defense. You realer than the majority of the people posting in here. I'm not sure how you became a gaytor fan though, lol, but it's all good, you from Miami tho, but you got your head on straight. Alot of these people in here are fake UM fans and johnny come lately's. Alot of times i can't tell what's more sickening, them or the defense, but it'll always be our defense cause i don't have to watch these clowns.

But i saw what yall did to Fsu and i remember alot of people getting hyped up over the muschamp hire and i wasn't sure where all the hype was coming from myself and i saw alot of people saying we got the better coach in coach goldie. I had no clue myself back than and was in the wait and see mode although i'm still not sure where the hype came from with the muschamp hire but one things for sure, the administration in gaytorville don't seem to make bad hires, even ron zook wasn't a bad hire, cause he's one of the best recruiters in the game and knows talent, just come gameday he's not top notch.

Anyway, alot of these guys will slurp anything goldie at 13 & 11. Like i always tell these clowns, he's an outsider until proven otherwise and it's only one way for him to do that and that's to do what coaches before him did. I will cut coach goldie a lil slack though, because in the lat 30 years, only butch davis, & shannon took over when the teams needed to be rebuilt talent wise and those 2 didn't take over teams with national championship potential but butch built it up for sure, and shannon brought the talent way back up compared to what was left him. So the only slack i'm cutting coach goldie is, he didn't come in taking over a well oiled machine but he was left enuff talent to where he shouldn't be 13 & 11 and playing the worst defense in UM history. He took over a better team than what shannon and butch were left that's for sure.

But until he becomes part of a national championship team here, he'll always be an outsider in my book!

FWIW cane bUbba's. Both transfers from Wisconsin and Virginia have been cleared to play!

And this DE Gilbert is a FULL-SPECTRUM pass rusher.

So, maybe D'Onofrio will bloody surprise this LONE doubter after all.

Then Cane bUbba can commence yapping crap and what not. Seeing that I'm still NOT a D'Onofrio apologists! hUh

Calvin,

If you could write a slightly longer piece, maybe then someone other than the other half of your pea brain would believe you.

Canes were 85th in 2012 defense.

We'll see D.

You seem to have an opinion on everything except where Canes D will end up in 2013. Put up or shut up.

Kamalu, Renfrow and Gilbert all cleared to play.

The last 3 in are from wisconsin, Va and a juco.

Calvin, keep those real long ones coming because they are way easier to ignore.

we gone destroy florida, by 20+

Standish...Stacey..sounds like we are locking up the Islands..

LOUISVILLE JUST SCORED AGAIN!!!!!!

1 2 »

The comments to this entry are closed.