UM's sports information staff said 115 recruits and 350 high school football coaches have been invited to attend Saturday's showdown with the Florida Gators.
UM coach Al Golden called it a “who’s who” list of top high school prospects.
Miami Herald Recruiting Writer Safid Deen has spent all week tracking down who those prospects are.
For starters, here is a list of the big names who will not be in attendance.
> Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer’s Johnnie Dixon, one of UM’s biggest wide receiver targets, will be on an official visit to N.C. State this weekend with fellow wide receiver teammate Clint Stephens, who also holds a UM offer.
> Two top juniors in South Florida who hold UM offers, Miami Gulliver Prep linebacker Dominic Sheppard and Hollywood McArthur safety Kendrell McFadden, wanted to attend the game, but didn’t hear back from UM’s coaching staff regarding an invite and will not attend.
> Homestead wide receiver Ermon Lane, Davie University School cornerback Quincy Wilson and Plantation athlete Chris Lammons – who all announced their pledge to UF on Aug. 13 – will not be in Sun Life Stadium. Lane and Wilson both have games on Saturday night, with early check-in times preventing them from attending the game. Lammons, who took an official visit to Gainesville for UF’s home opener against Toledo last weekend, said he’s taking no more visits.
Some heralded 2014 standouts both schools are looking to make an impact on that will be there:
- West Palm Beach Cardinal Newman wide receiver Travis Rudolph, who claims more than 25 offers from schools across the nation including UF, UM and FSU.
- Raleigh (N.C.) Leesville Road wide receiver Braxton Berrios is using his second official visit to attend to Saturday’s game. He visited Oregon last weekend, and has official visits planned to South Carolina and Tennessee. He plans to announce his college decision in October.
- Plantation American Heritage receiver/running back Isaiah McKenzie, who has gained national attention on ESPN for his playmaking abilities. He’s down to Notre Dame, Rutgers and West Virginia, and said he was looking for a UM offer “sooner, but it didn’t come so I really don’t care for it.”
- Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas defensive tackle Anthony Moten, who was previously committed to UF, but is uncommitted.
- South Dade wide receiver Tyre Brady, who holds offers from Miami, Kentucky, FSU, FAU and Minnesota.
- Miami Central offensive lineman Michael Smith (USF commit) and Reginald Bain (FAU commit), and defensive back Deatrick Nichols (USF commit).
As far as 2015 prospects expected to attend:
- Hialeah Westminster Christian athlete Tim Irvin, nephew of UM great Michael Irvin, and tight end Devonaire Clarington both claims offers from more than 10 schools including UM, UF, FSU, Georgia and Alabama. Running back teammate Jordan Cronkrite holds offers from FAU, Clemson and Cincinnati, but has interest in UM and UF.
- Plantation American Heritage quarterback Torrance Gibson, who has offers from Miami, Ohio State and Florida State, amongst others.
- Miramar cornerback Tyrek Cole claims offers from more than 15 schools, including UF, UM and FSU.
- Pompano Beach Monarch athlete Shawn Burgess-Becker claims offers from schools like UM, UF, LSU and Alabama.
- Miami Central defensive back Calvin Brewton, who has picked up some recruiting steam and recently claimed offers from Clemson, West Virginia, USF, Louisiana-Lafayette and Florida State, is still waiting to hear from UM and UF.
- Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas wide receiver Devante Peete claims offers from schools like Ohio State, Alabama, Miami, Florida and Clemson.
- Miami Killian safety Jaquan Johnson, who holds offers from more than 10 schools including UF, FSU and UM.
- Miami Jackson WR Jovon Durante, a West Virginia commit who holds a UM offer.
- Weston Cypress Bay linebacker Danny Thomas, who has yet to receive an offer from both schools as of now.
- Jacksonville Trinity Christian Academy linebacker Jeff Holland, who claims more than 40 offers from schools, including UF and UM.
- Orlando Timber Creek athlete Jacques Patrick claims offers from several schools including UM, UF, FSU, Auburn, and Michigan.
UM’s stacked 2014 recruiting class will be well represented with as many as 15 recruits expected to attend – all on unofficial visits.
- Miami Central OT Trevor Darling
- Miami Central RB Joseph Yearby
- Winter Park DE Trent Harris
- Hialeah Champagnat Catholic DT Travonte Valentine
- Miami Booker T. Washington DE Chad Thomas
- Miami Booker T. Washington CB Nigel Bethel
- Miami Booker T. Washington CB DE Demetrius Jackson
- Deerfield Beach ATH Brandon Powell
- St. Petersburg Catholic OT Reilly Gibbons
- Lake Worth Santaluces Community WR Darrell Langham
- Poplarville (MS) Pearl River Community College DT Dalvon Stuckey
- Ft. Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas OL Nick Linder
- Fort Lauderdale Dillard CB Dennis Turner
- Pompano Beach Blanche Ely LB Terry McCray (will try to attend before his game Saturday night.)
- Miami Carol City ATH Trayone Gray (will try to make it.)
Florida commits expected to attend:
- Miami Central RB Dalvin Cook
- Miami Central WR Da’Vante Phillips
- Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna Prep DT Khairi Clark
- Immokalee WR J.C. Jackson
UM 2014 commits who will NOT be in attendance:
- Miami Northwestern DE Mike Smith (Saturday game).
- Miami Northwestern CB Ryan Mayes
- Palm Beach Central OL KC McDermott (has practice Saturday morning).
- Mobile (Ala.) Faith Academy QB Malik Rozier (has tentative plans to take an official visit on Nov. 9 when UM hosts Virginia Tech.)
- West Hills (Calif.) QB Brad Kaaya
- Albany (Ga.) LB Juwon Young
- Fork Union Military Academy (Va.) TE Ryheem Lockley
- Norcross (Ga.) TE Chris Herndon
- Jersey City (N.J.) St. Anthony OG Courtel Jenkins
Prospects with ties to one or both teams will not be in attendance:
- Davie University School running back Jordan Scarlett, 2015, who claims at least 20 offers including UM, UF and FSU.
- University School cornerback Rashard Causey, 2015, claims at least 15 offers including UM and UF.
- University School athlete Sam Bruce, 2016, who claims at least 10 offers including UM and UF.
- Miami Northwestern wide receiver Jojo Robinson, a 2014 FSU commit who holds a UM offer.
- Tallahassee Lincoln wide receiver John Burt, 2015, who claims offers from FSU and UM.
The Herald is still working to confirm several players’ attendance before Saturday’s game.
You can follow Safid on Twitter @Safid_Deen.