« Canes land commitment from 6-4, 203-pound, 3-star WR Tyre Brady of South Dade | Main | Gameday blog: Miami Hurricanes at Duke Blue Devils »

Counting stars: Why Al Golden is still very much trying to rebuild the Miami Hurricanes

It's easy to argue second-ranked Florida State was a deeper and more talented team than the Hurricanes two weeks ago and ultimately that's as big a reason as any why the Seminoles turned a close game at haftime into a 41-14 rout.

And it clearly was. Go back and read the Counting Stars blog I did before the game it shows you the Seminoles were not only deeper but loaded with more overall blue-chip talent position-by-position.

What's been irking most fans about Miami's loss to Virginia Tech (7-3, 4-2 ACC) last weekend at home -- aside from the perceived poor coaching by defensive coordinator Mark D'Onofrio -- is that UM should be on par with the Hokies in terms of overall talent, if not loaded with more.

This Saturday afternoon's game at Duke (7-2, 3-2 ACC) should be a case where the Hurricanes are clearly the more talented and deeper team. But the truth is the talent gap isn't as wide as one might believe.

Duke's starting lineup for instance features six three-star prospects on offense (QB Anthony Boone, RB Josh Snead, WR Jamison Crowder, LT Takoby Cofield, LG Dave Harding, RG Laken Tomlinson) and six on defense (S Jeremy Cash, CB Ross Cockrell, DE Justin Foxx, DE Kenny Anunike, LB Kelby Brown, LB David Helton). There's depth too with another dozen 3-star prospects as backups.

Virginia Tech's offense featured four 4-star prospects in the starting lineup (QB Logan Thomas, TB Trey Edmunds, WR DJ Coles, RT Brent Benedict) and five other 3-star prospects. The defense featured 5-star recruit Kendall Fuller at outside linebacker, four-star safety Kyshoen Jarrett and three-star recruits everywhere else. The only players considered hidden gems: LB Jack Tyler (no stars) and defensive tackle Luther Maddy (2-stars). The Hokies were also loaded with experience (309 career starts on defense and 149 on offense).

The recruiting star-system obviously isn't a perfect science. Some 5-star kids bomb and some two-star kids turn into gems. But what the system does tell you at least pretty clearly is how heavily recruited each player is.

Five-star recruits are blue-chippers with offers from many, if not all of the country's top BCS programs. Four-star recruits aren't far behind, and three-star recruits generally have between five to 10 offers from decent Division I programs. Two-star recruits and below are players considered reaches and usually players with only one or two legit offers to play at the FBS level.

The Hurricanes have had higher-ranked recruiting classes (15th in 2009; 16th in 2010; 36th in 2011; 9th in 2012; 20th in 2013) than Virginia Tech (23rd in 2009; 23rd in 2010; 33rd in 2011; 22nd in 2012; 23rd in 2013) and Duke (51st in 2009; 71st in 2010; 76th in 2011; 52nd in 2012; 67th in 2013) over the last five years according to Rivals.com.

But that only explains a small part of the story.

Miami signed 118 players over the last five seasons and 42 that helped make those classes Top 25-worthy ran into trouble at one point or another, cutting their careers at UM short. That's nearly 36 percent.

Some never or haven't made it into school, some transferred, some were forced out because of discipline issues and some had injuries they never recovered from. All the while for the past three years, UM has had to also deal with an NCAA cloud over its head.

SHANNON'S FINAL TWO CLASSES

A look back at Randy Shannon's last two recruiting classes (2009 and 2010) and Al Golden's first three (2011, 2012, 2013) better illustrate the point below.

> Of the 48 players Randy Shannon signed in his final two recruiting classes, three left early for the draft (Lamar Miller, Brandon Washington, Olivier Vernon all 4-star recruits) and three used up their eligibility (3-star TE Chase Ford, 4-star CB Brandon McGee and 4-star RB Mike James).

> The more eye-opening number? A total of 21 signees from those two classes either transferred or ran into academic or discipline issues. Two were 5-star recruits (defensive backs Ray-Ray Armstrong and Latwan Anderson) and another six were 4-star recruits (defensive tackle Tavadis Glenn, linebacker Travis Williams, offensive lineman Jermaine Johnson, defensive end Dyron Dye, defensive back Jamal Reid and running back Storm Johnson).

> Of the 21 players Shannon recruited still at UM, one is a 5-star recruit (OL Seantrel Henderson), four are 4-star recruits (OL Malcolm Bunche, RB Eduardo Clements, OL Brandon Linder and DT Luther Robinson), a dozen are 3-star recruits (QB Stephen Morris, WR Allen Hurns, OL Jon Feliciano, FB Maurice Hagens, C Shane McDermott, DE Shayon Green, S Kacy Rodgers, LB Tyrone Cornelius among the notables) and four are two-star recruits (TE Clive Walford, TE Asante Cleveland, LB Kelvin Cain, LB Jimmy Gaines).

> UM recruited 24 defensive players between 2009 and 2010. A total of 13 either transferred or ran into academic or discipline issues. Two are in the NFL (Brandon McGee, Olivier Vernon), six are still here serving as starters (Curtis Porter, Shayon Green, Tyrone Cornelius, Kacy Rodgers, Jimmy Gaines, AJ Highsmith) and three are career backups (Luther Robinson, David Perry, Kelvin Cain).

TRANSITION YEAR

Golden had six weeks after being named UM's coach in December 2010 to wrap up the Hurricanes 2011 signing class, which makes up UM's juniors and redshirt sophomore class. He reeled in 18 recruits including 13 on defense.

Only two were four-star prospects: defensive ends Anthony Chickillo (12.5 sacks in 30 career starts) and Jalen Grimble (transferred to Oregon State this fall).

Of the eight 3-star defensive recruits, one (Dallas Crawford) was switched to running back, five are no longer with the program (CB Thomas Finnie, LB Gionni Paul, DE Ricardo Williams, LB Eddie Johnson, LB Antonio Kinard) and only two start (LB Denzel Perryman, DE Olsen Pierre). The other recruits: defensive tackle Corey King, linebacker Thurston Armrbister and JUCO defensive tackle Darius Smith (graduated) were late additions and nowhere on the recruiting radar.

The other five recruits in the 2011 class were receivers Phillip Dorsett (3-star) and Rashawn Scott (3-star), running back Kevin Grooms (3-star, now at Marshall), JUCO punter Dalton Botts (now gone) and Matt Goudis (2-star, now 7 of 11 on FGs in 2013).

GOLDEN YEARS

Where Golden has finally begun to catchup is in his last two recruiting classes.

The Hurricanes signed 33 players in 2012 (at least three more than any other program in the country).

Of that group a dozen have made instant impacts either as starters or backups. Those are: five-star prospects RB Duke Johnson and CB Tracy Howard, four-star prospects LT Ereck Flowers, WR Malcolm Lewis, S Deon Bush, DE Jelani Hamilton, LB Raphael Kirby and DE Tyriq McCord and three 3-star additions WR Herb Waters, S Rayshawn Jenkins, CB Antonio Crawford and CB Ladarius Gunter.

Another 11 serve as reserves (all 3-star prospects): DE Dwayne Hoillett, WR D'Mauri Jones, QB Gray Crow, OL Danny Isidora, OL Taylor Gadbois, DE Dwayne Hoillett, DT Earl Moore, LB Jawand Blue, TE Jake O'Donnell, CB Nate Dortch and CB Larry Hope.

But another group of 10 either never got in, aren't here anymore or ended their football careers early. Among those: 4-star WR Angelo Jean-Louis (never got in) and WR Robert Lockhart (transfer) and 3-stars prospects WR Jontavious Carter (transfer), RB Danny Dillard (transfer), QB Preston Dewey (back), QB David Thompson (baseball only), CB Vernon Davis (West Virginia), DT Jacoby Briscoe, DT Dequan Ivery (Northeast Mississippi) and LB Josh Witt (concussions).

> The 2013 class featured 19 recruits including nine four-star recruits. But of that group, only 16 are physically at UM (ATH Ryheem Lockley, WR Derrick Griffin and LB Devante Bond aren't).

A group of seven are already in the two-deep: WR Stacy Coley (4-star), RB Gus Edwards (3-star), FB Walter Tucker (2-star), TE Beau Sandland (4-star), CB Corn Elder (4-star), DE Ufomba Kamalu (2-star), CB Artie Burns (4-star).

Another four play in reserve duty and on special teams: DE Quan Muhammad (4-star), DB Jamal Carter (4-star), LB Jermaine Grace (4-star) and OL Alex Gall (3-star).

And another five appear headed toward a redshirt: TE Standish Dobard (3-star), QB Kevin Olsen (4-star), CB Ray Lewis III (3-star), OL Sunny Odogwu (3-star) and OL Hunter Knighton (3-star).

TALENT EVALUATORS

Even if you believe UM's recent struggles have to do with poor coaching, player development or play-calling, you can't ignore the amount of attrition the Hurricanes have endured the last five years.

Just because UM has had decent recruiting class rankings the last five years doesn't mean the shelves are loaded with enough talent for this program to be "back."

I spoke to three different recruiting analysts Thursday who all said the same thing: Miami is not deep enough anywhere and the overall talent isn't good enough to be a legit contender this year. And it probably won't be for another year or two at least.

Why? In part because Golden was dealing with an NCAA mess and in trying to do so probably took some players early in the recruiting process that normally wouldn't be at UM if they were sanction-free. 

The 2014 class, however, appears to be the start to the road back. The defensive line haul is impressive. Brad Kaaya is considered by many to be UM's best quarterback recruit in some time. The offensive line is also very good.

What talent is here now is young and growing. The older talent? One could argue Golden and his staff tried to squeeze as much out of it as they could.

I spoke with Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net Wednesday. Who does he like among Miami's draft-eligible 2014 class of seniors and juniors?

"None of them really," he said. "I liked Morris a lot going into the season. He's shown some ability at times this year, but at other times he just makes passes and you scratch your head and say 'What the [heck] was that all about?' Too much inconsistency.

"Seantrel Henderson. He's the same thing to a much greater degree. Off the field issues. He just hasn't seemed to elevate his game.

"I do like Perryman a lot. The thing with him is going to be size, speed issues. I think Linder is going to be a late day steal. I think Linder in the right system can be a 10-year pro. I think he's going to be a guy drafted somewhere in the later rounds.

"I do like Jimmy Gaines. In the sense he's elevated his game, his head is in the right direction. Gaines you're thinking at best a late round pick or somebody who works his way onto the roster as a free agent. And then Allen Hurns, who is probably a last day guy. That's it."

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Corey king off team?

We are young ...

WILL MUSCHAMP IS THE BEST HEAD COACH IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL !!!

JEREMY FOLEY IS THE BEST A.D. IN ALL OF COLLEGE AND HAS WILL'S BACK 1000% !!!

22-13 IS FAR BETTER THAN > Al GOLDEN SHOWER'S BELOW .500 RECORD !!!

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS BEGIN AGAIN NEXT YEAR WHEN ALL HIS TOP RECRUITS HEAL !!!

# 1 GATORS TITLETOWN !!! THEN, NOW AND FOREVER !!!

Great overview Manny. I especially like your comments:

"I spoke to three different recruiting analysts Thursday who all said the same thing: Miami is not deep enough anywhere and the overall talent isn't good enough to be a legit contender this year. And it probably won't be for another year or two at least."

"Why? In part because Golden was dealing with an NCAA mess and in trying to do so probably took some players early in the recruiting process that normally wouldn't be at UM if they were sanction-free."

And over the last 48 hours Big Al has signed a prized defensive tackle and receiver...fantastic!!

AL GOLDEN IS THE BEST COACH IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL

3 Point Favorite over DUKE says it ALL !!!


DUKE ? []_[]r Favored by a Field Goal ?

Hey, maybe []_[]'ll make a 50 yarder at the gun and BARELY Win like against cellar dwellers UNC n WAKE !

But []_[] OWN FAU - Savannah St. - USF though ! Without those 3 wins, the sorry Gators gifting one to []_[] and 2 last seconds wins over sub .500 UNC n WAKE... []_[] actually have won just ONE Game this year over a .500 G. Tech team that []_[] were tied with in the 4t. Quarter and Clemson just smoked by 30...

[]_[]r Season, exactly like []_[]r Team is a MIRAGE and why []_[] ARE STILL DEL[]_[]SIONAL []_[] !!!

This is a bogus attempt for excuses to a pathetic job by the coaches. At least Manny isn't beating up on the canes, stirring up the fans against Golden and co. A switch from the booing of Morris or anyone else. But this is still a garbage write up. These players have more talent than what we saw last week. The lack of development is on the coaches. Before the season, it's we're bigger, stronger, more experienced now, and Golden was all proud. Now, it's we don't have depth, players don't get the system, and we get pushed around constantly. The O-line is big and strong and athletic, but can't consistently do the job. Face it, we are stuck with a lousy coach, who stuck it out and now we suffer until he leaves or the univ. sees fit to get a winning coach.

Manny should have saved this article till after the duke game.

So that god forbid if duke won AG would have another excuse!!

Smh

Wow, name-changing fellow tosses out four straight random attacks from two different IDs.

Yep, the request that he back off was ignored, yet again. Hopefully, the REAL gator fans over at Gator Clause recognize that any retaliation that occurs is well earned, thanks to GatorAluminum and his constant attacks on here.

The recruiting, so-called experts, are not the best at judging recruiting classes. The 2008 class was overrated. I stated than then, with there not getting offensive and defensive linemen. Now, after Al Golden losses to lesser teams, the expects say he needs this upcoming class of defensive linemen. The fact he previously loaded up on defensive linemen, coached and trained them without success. That was while he added to a really talented offensive line he had when he got here. Again no success there either. The loss to Virginia, last year, and Virginia Tech two of the three times he's faced them. Are two of several teams that were less talented, but beat Al Golden's Miami teams. The new talent is great, on paper, but as a head coach Al Golden has never defeated a more talented team. The results will not change, but another coach could change the results for the better.

Finally Manny coming in with some facts and reasoning.

Something the Canes haters on this blog lack completely.

Thats how you formulate an opinion- with facts.

All the bloggers here and the girly hissy-fits of. " fire Golden!, "fire D'Onofrio" sound like tampon wearing, PMS'ing little girls.

This is football girls...go whine on TMZ or something.

Hey name-changing fellow, are you seriopusly attacking the results of a 7-2 team, while your 4-5 team LOST to them head to head?

Last year, when you needed a Jelani Jenkins punt block to beat Louisiana Lafayette, you crowed for weeks that a win is a win.

Now you are on here whining and trying the calim that the gatrs "woulda shoulda coulda" have a better record than the Canes?

7 > 4
2 < 5

Nope, you are wrong yet again, Miami is the better team in the rankings, the scoreboard, the record, and in REALITY.

The rivalry is over, you can leave us alone now.

Also this is the kind of article the HC gets when the media likes you, and you look/talk the part.

Ppl like to talk about how RS ran Auther Brown of and rightfully so, but out squad could shonuff use Storm Johnson at the moment!

Notice that the Canes land a recruit that the gatrs desperately needed, and so now the name-changing fellow thinks he has to try spamming the board with negative lies in the hopes that Brady and his family might reconsider.

Well, it won't work, because Canes fans KNOW we got a real steal, that he is better than the three stars he is currently marked as, and that he has Andre Johnson as his role model, not Aaron Hernandez.

Fact is the highschool athletes and their parents don't care what haters on a blog think.

They meet Al Golden and love him. They know he cares about their kid. They know Shalala wants to graduate them with degrees if their sports days run out. They know miami is one of the most interesting places to live in America.

They see Al taking the Canes back to the top. They know the NCAA BS Is over amd the sky is the limit for this program.

They see the lack of depth and know they can come in and start soon. Much sooner than at UF, FSU, or Bama.

They see a storm coming!!

Good article Manny. I think everyone agrees that the talent isn't where it needs to be and is headed in the right direction. However, I maintain the current Miami defense still has more raw talent than Duke, East Carolina, Western Carolina, and Marshall, who all fared better against VT's offense than Miami's defense did. Yes, the current talent is a problem, but so is the defensive coaching and player development. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Miami had some bad luck against VT, but D'O was also completely outcoached. If Miami loses to Duke it won't be because of a lack of talent.

I think the talent evaluator Tony Pauline forgot about Allen Hurns. If he can get 142 yards against that VT defense AND with an injured QB throwing to him, he is a definite NFL prospect.

Notice that the Canes land a recruit that the gatrs desperately needed, and so now the name-changing fellow thinks he has to try spamming the board with negative lies in the hopes that Brady and his family might reconsider.

Well, it won't work, because Canes fans KNOW we got a real steal, that he is better than the three stars he is currently marked as, and that he has Andre Johnson as his role model, not Aaron Hernandez.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The above is one of my all time favorite posts.

As usual--great job Five Titles!!

I cannot see, even with Al Golden, a loss to Duke. There is absolutely no way this team should lose to that team. Even though I felt the same way about the Virginia Tech game. I know that it will not happen this week. And don't let it happen Al Golden. Even you can beat this Duke team on the road.

RS recruited some good players. He can't constantly tell people what is right and wrong. At some point there is something called personal responsibility. The travesty is a guy like Kelvin Cain never really got a fair chance on D and for that i don't fault Cain.

Posted by: BRODSKY | November 15, 2013 at 04:04

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yo Gomer Pyle! How'd you do AT HOME against Vandy...LOL!!

You girls won't even qualify for a bowl game...get those tarps out.

21-16!!

Scoreboard Billy-Bob!!

And then you once again quit the series out of fear of the Canes.

I can't believe I am worried about the Duke game. I never thought I'd see the day (just as, I'm sure, Gators' fans never thought they'd be worried about Vandy). A lot of analysts are picking Duke to win.


I cannot see, even with Al Golden, a loss to Duke. There is absolutely no way this team should lose to that team. Even though I felt the same way about the Virginia Tech game. I know that it will not happen this week. And don't let it happen Al Golden. Even you can beat this Duke team on the road.

Posted by: ChampCane | November 15, 2013 at 04:45 PM

^^^^^^

How's your boy Muschamp doing!!! No bowl game for you girls---get them tarps out!! Laughing at you!!

AL GOLDEN IS THE BEST COACH IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!

Why do you think so many players get run off, or transfer? Head scratcher....

With D'O name heavy in the media now, we will see just how much these kids back him. If they come out and play we can chalk this one up on the players, if they come out flat and out constently out of position, D'O has to eat the fault.

Offense has to pull there weight it to late in the season to make the defense stand up the way they did against Florid.

Don't include me in your post. You are not posting anything worthwhile, so leave me out of it.

5-titles has lost it. Paranoid of name changing on a blog? Maybe it's himself and doesn't even know it. Maybe he is Zook, 5-titles and a couple other names.
Fact is, Golden is failing and there really is no excuse

excuse after excuse after excuse.....

the 1985 team had NOBODIES on it at the time and went 11-1

(top performers)
kosar - 2329 yards 15 TD's and 13 INT's
Bentley - 722 yards rushing and 5 TD's
dennison - 594 yards receiving and 3 TD's
sisk - 67 solo tackles

vs

2012 golden team at 7-5

(top performers)
morris - 3345 yards 21 TD's and 7 INT's
johnson - 947 rushing and 10 TD's
dorsett - 842 yards receiving with 4 TD's
perryman - 45 solo tackles

much better performance out of 2012 class.....this recruit stuff is all BS.....how can you have better performance by a wide margin and go 7-5 vs 11-1?

here is your answer.............coaching, golden/dnofrio are WEAK......

Thinking that what is posted on this blog has any sway with potential recruits and their families is asinine.
Why do you people attack fans that are concerned about the Duke game? Is not as if the Canes are playing lights out, there is reason to be concerned.

Gallo,

the 1985 team did not have Kosar on it...that was Vinny's team that ended up going on to lose to Tennesee in the Sugar Bowl. You claim to know so much about the program yet you don't even know simple facts. Your argument is refuted by someone who was born in 1995 but knows more than you...how do you feel?

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!

RJ knocks down Glass Joe, I mean Fake Jim Gallo.

Also the 1985 team went 10-2, your wrong facts just keep piling up....you might be thinking of the 1984 team that went 8-5 and lost to UCLA in a bowl game and Boston College on a hail mary, and let Maryland come back and win when Miami was up by 31 points at half. But heck what do I know I'm just a die hard 18 year old cane fan.

cfl, so you disagree with one of my posts? Which one?

I said Hurns is an NFL talent.
I said Brady is a steal that UF and FSU wished they could get.
I said that Gallo's list of casualties was false.
I said that 7 > 4, and 2 < 5.
I said the the guy posting in all caps as Zooks ghost and Brodsky could leave, because the gatr rivalry is over.

Good luck trying to find a falsehood in there.

And of course, the guy that claims Kosar was a nobody CANNOT be a real Canes fan.

300 yards passing against the "Team of the Century" to win Miami's first National Championship shows he isn't a nobody.

Being considered for the NFL Hall Of Fame isn't a nobody.

Being in the Florida Sports Hall Of Fame isn't a nobody.

Why do you think so many players get run off, or transfer? Head scratcher....
Posted by: Dude | November 15, 2013 at 05:00 PM
With D'O name heavy in the media now, we will see just how much these kids back him. If they come out and play we can chalk this one up on the players, if they come out flat and out constently out of position, D'O has to eat the fault.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Of all the departures, only Bridgewater and Storm are producing. And they left becasue Shannon was fired.

The rest weren't worth much and weren't talented or disciplined anyways. Thats why you don't hear about them anywhere.

So no big loss anyways.

What was your point again?????

Recognizing the most prolific posters are commentard trolls, I will nevertheless reiterate a previous comment that Manny's excellent reporting illustrates.

Our team is obviously developing. Enjoy the process.

Yes it can be frustrating, but UM is clearly better this year and will take another step next year.

Remember that fans were on Butch's case in year 3 and said that Jimmy Johnson in year three could not win the big game. Jimmy won the NC the following year.

All Golden is an excellent coach and I hope he is here for the next 30 years. He will win ACC and National titles.

If it was Kosar, or Testaverde is the question not valid? Everyone knows that search engines exist, so non-athletes can sound like they know what they are talking about. What does that have to do with a very valid point?

Five Titles,

You can't reason with people who are delusional, it will never happen. Your right anybody who claims Kosar was a nobody seriously better wonder if they truly are a Cane Fan. I'll help him out the answer is no.

typo 1983 team......hit wrong key, the 85 team didn't go 11-1

You think the talent we had on the team now is equal to the 1983 team that beat the team of the century? Man get a life...Kosar is better than Morris, and that team had weapons everywhere, our team currently is full of the remnants of a 3 year NCAA scandal...and I didn't use a search engine thank you very much. Don't get all flustered because I caught your buddy not knowing the true facts.

1982 kosar was a complete nobody.....he was throw to the wolves that year.....

golden is weak.....believe whatever you want.....nail bites against scrub team has nothing to do with any type of star rating......

Nash: I kiled Art Brown, but let's face it: He was a package deal that included his brother. Plus, AB had this attitude thing about him that effected his work ethic. RS saw it and didn't like it. AB dragged his feet a lot, played hard when he felt like playing hard. He ultimately got lost in the LB shuffle and hit the door.

But when he transferred he just became a much better everything. I was surprised to see what kind of player he was at Kansas, but didn't show that same desire at UM.

Was this a lack of player development on the part of RS? The negative ppl here will say it was. But the real CF outsiders know that it was somebody RS gave a chance to and wanted his cake and wanted to eat it to. AB was a cancer to the UM football culture.

Kosar was on a good team but also a an even better coaching staff. trust me the days of JJ, Butch et all, are long gone and probably won't be back.

FYI: Kosar is on my best QB ever out of UM list. Guy was a finance major and maintained a high GPA I heard. I'm not downgrading SM, but the two are completely different QB's and in completely different "systems."

SM has a suspect OC. I think Gary Stevens was the OC with Kosar. I never figured out Stevens' formula of success, but he and JJ clicked big time.

When U are talking best QB's out of UM, U must consider Jim Kelly, the leadership of Toretta, the smarts of Kosar and Walsh, the latter of whom could not throw, Collins and Berlin who never got fair chances, J12, yes the same J12 who had 3 OC's and player injured during his time at UM, don't forget J12 is still in the record books, the also ran "system" oriented Craig Erickson. Costa was OK.

5-titles, I never challenged anything but the fact you keep saying there is a name changer.
2nd, facts are facts. Golden has never beaten a team ending a season better than 8-5. GT, NC at 7-6,VT at 7-6, NCST at 7-6, GT at 6-4. Those are the only WINNING TEAMS golden HAS BEATEN. Then losses to 2---10 MD, BC at 4-8, Virg at 4-8. Golden's teams have not even come close to beating one, that's ONE quality, nationally relevant team in 2 1/2 seasons. All time 4-10 against winning teams. With many blow outs. And after last sat., nothing has changed. But one thing needs to change Golden

WOW! I truly hope the players at the U do not read this mess coming from so call fans, experts, and coaches’ assessment of their football skills. Upon completion of fall camp, Coach Golden clearly reflected on how experience and deep this current team was entering 2013 season. “For the first time, we have competition at each position. We played a lot of young guys the first two years, and they were new to the system. Now, the team is bigger, faster, and deeper…we are excited about the upcoming season”, stated Golden. The players work hard from spring to fall, and trusted this coaching staff recommendation to add weight…and be the same every day in their system (schemes). Because the past 4-5 football staffs have exposed the U coaching schemes, now the players are not talent enough.

Muhammad, Tyriq, and Grace are play makers, but they need to get bigger to meet this defensive scheme philosophy. Artie Burns is clearly one of your best DBs, but he has not been in your system long enough. I am a season ticket holder, and I just named 4 players who should be given more snaps or plays. Tracy Howard put away his swagger, because he was not getting any play last year.
Charlie Strong and staff at U of L are not complaining about 2,3,4,5 star recruits, but they are developing and producing quality football players. The coaching staffs at Baylor, Texas AM, Missouri, and Auburn inherited their players too, and they were not on top of the recruitment classes.

Let’s just stop this talent excuse Manny, and everyone agrees that we were outplayed and coach the past two games…period. As for the players, don’t listen to this mess…40 times, bench press, and added weight. IF you don’t have or develop football IQ…you are still at a disadvantage. By the way, football IQ is a coaching requirement too.

1 2 3 »

The comments to this entry are closed.