« Jackson, Wyche officially signed by Hurricanes; Gray remains | Main | VIDEO: UM recruits Linder, Moten and Brady talk about becoming Hurricanes on Signing Day »

Gray last Canes commit to sign officially; Golden talks about UM's signing class

 

He's in and the Hurricanes are done with their 2014 signing class for now.

 

Carol City's Trayone Gray became the last player to officially sign with the Hurricanes on Wednesday. UM announced his signing just as Golden was addressing the media in his signing day press conference.

 

"Gray's a guy who can play wide receiver for us. Gray's a guy who could actually play running back too," Golden said of Gray, who started at quarterback for the Chiefs. "He's another guy who came to camp and I fell in love with him after 10 minutes."

> Golden said not having to recruit with an NCAA cloud over head since October certainly felt different.

"There were some homes I left in December and I felt like I left something, like your cell phone. And then I realized I didn't have to spend three-quarters of the time explaining or defending the NCAA thing," Golden said. "It felt good to talk about our academics, the campus itself, our football program, our tradition, all the things we want to talk about that have been eclipsed because whatever coach just left or came after you - `the NCAA, they're dead.' So it feels good.

"Was it a little too late for this group? Pretty much, 85, 90 percent of this class was done by the middle of October when this came out and we weren't able to address it personally until December when our season was over. We'll reap the benefits of that moving forward."

> Golden said of seven defensive linemen and four linebackers UM signed to upgrade their front seven: "They'll make an impact."

Tops on the list  is five-star defensive end Chad Thomas. "An elite player, explosive pass rusher, brings speed on the edge, but yet is physical enough to take on a blocker a tackle or a tight end," Golden said.

"At such a young age he's so mature and knows what he wants," Golden continued. "He's very disciplined, not a guy you have to worry about. He's very structured already. This guy, he's inquisitive, he wants to learn about music but he shares an equal passion for athletics, for football. He's a young man that had everyone in the country offer him but decided to come down to our camp to get better. And you don't always see that."

 

Golden said Demetrius Jackson and Trent Harris "can go along" with sophomore Quan Muhammad and junior Tyriq McCord as strong side linebackers or rush ends.

"I feel much better about our depth there now that at any point last year," Golden said.

 

> Golden side at defensive tackle "is where we've probably made the most gains."

 

He called St. Thomas Aquinas standout Anthony Moten, listed as a 6-4, 292-ppound four-star recruit, "a premier player in the country at defensive tackle."

 

"I saw AJ last week and he was a shade under 300 pounds, so he'll come in ready made," Golden said. "We got to get him in condition. He'll come in during the summer and get him ready to go."

Moten said Wednesday he'd start off in the three technique and Golden mention "we'll add him to a position where Jelani Hamilton and Olsen Pierre play."

 

> Golden called the other three defensive tackles UM signed "nose tackles."

 

"Calvin Hertelou is here now at 324 pounds," Golden said. "He's going to give us the type of strength that we need. We're excited about his impact he'll have in the spring. Michael Wyche is a highly coveted player, someone we think will do an incredible job for us. Michael has a great perspective on life and kind of give us the leadership, be a guy will make an impact on and off the field. Courtel Jenkins is a young man we're excited about."

 

> Golden said he's excited about "just the sheer size" of his linebackers. Golden said early enrollee Juwon Young is 240 pounds and Darrion Owens is 6-2, 6-3, 230 pound-range. 

> Northwestern's Michael Smith, listed as a defensive end and  at 6-2, 210 pounds, will start out at linebacker Golden said. "He's a guy we obviously thought the world of," he said.

> Golden called Ely's Terry McCray a very sought after player. "He's a guy who is 6-2, 6-3, 228 pounds," Golden said. "Again, a very big group of physical linebackers."

> Golden said New Jersey athlete David Njoku is a big athlete, ex-wide receiver. "We'll see where he goes with his body," Golden said. "He's about 218 pounds now, about 6-4. He has the ability to be a guy we can move around from X to H and put him in space."

How might tight end Chris Herndon be used?

"Herndon is an H. Njoku is an X that can play at H," Golden said. "But Herndon is definitely an H. He's very similar to Clive [Walford] except he's going to come in a little bigger than Clive, 235, 238. We're excited about him. We were very close to taking another tight end, but Clive bailed us out. Getting a Y tight end is important in next year's class."

> Golden said he's grateful to quarterback Brad Kaaya and his family "for showing loyalty" after many schools came in after him after he had committed to UM early in the process.

"He's a fine young man now," Golden said. "He's 6-4, has a big arm. Everybody I knew out at the Semper Fidelis game said he had a big week and is very bright. He's a young man that came and visited us 11 months ago when we were starting spring ball and you could tell just how bright he is."

> Golden said quarterback Malik Rosier of Mobile, Ala. is a recruit "we should get to know because he'll be playing baseball for the Canes and Jim Morris in addition to playing football."

Golden said Rosier has big hands, a strong arm and excellent mobility. Golden said Rosier can throw the ball in the pocket real well, but provides an extra element to escape the pocket and make plays.

"Both of those guys are winners," Golden said.

> Golden said getting All-American offensive linemen Kc McDermott and Trevor Darling on campus early was huge.

"They are who we thought they were," Golden said. "It doesn't matter what anybody says -- the services, the stars. It's 'Are they what you though they were?' Trevor Darling and Kc McDermott are that. They'll be two young men that will be able to help us right away."

Golden said he's seen gains from them in the weight room since they enrolled.

Golden said UM may continue to add another offensive lineman in the class "because I'm worried about the numbers." 

"We don't have much room," Golden said. "We're basically at our max right now, maybe have one spot, maybe two. But offensive line is a position I'll continue to look at just because our numbers are not great."

> After signing only one running back -- Miami Central's Joe Yearby -- could UM be looking to add help there?

"I don't think so," Golden said. "Joe is not 6-foot, but Joe runs hard. Duke Johnson now is 202 pounds, and we're trying to get him to 205, 206. Joe Yearby is following Duke's footsteps and he'll get stronger and we have Dallas Crawford and Gus Edwards. The depth there is better than the last couple of years and I'm excited about that. I don't think we'll go after a big back, I really would rather save that for next year and get two running backs. We really like a lot of the running backs in next year's class and will bring two in [in 2015]."

> Golden said UM will release a list of who will miss spring practice next week. But  count on Duke Johnson, Yearby or freshman receiver Braxton Berrios to be on the list.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I am not 100% sold on AG and company but I do look at our ineptitude in the last 5 games of our season , but how many more first downs and or touchdowns could we have earned if we had Duke , Dorsett , and Stephen morris was playing better ? My point being that our Defense could be much better but with two of our top weapons out of the games what would the point and yardage differential be ? I am looking at the glass 1/2 full as some of you negative morons should . 2014 is not our breakout season but 2015 will be . With Duke and Dorsett I think we win 2 more games . Go Canes

Rick is an illiterate buffoon. Cannot spell. Do you honestly think he can read?

CaneFan 72 thinks that the solution to world hunger and curing AIDS is to get rid of the 3-4 defense.

Maggots both.

This season aint about recruits or nothing else. This season is totally about how much the defense improves PERIOD!!!! If you put great recruits in a bad system then NONE of it matters. I believe Miami would have gotten Valentine or maybe flipped a kid or two had there been a change at the D. Coordinators position. Kids and their parents and other coaches saw how the season ended and there was nothing that looked promising about the defensive direction of the program....either Golden is a genius for sticking with Coach D or his loyalty is blinding him. We shall see.....

Congradulations to Al Golden on a strong recruiting class. This next focus has to be on player development and improvement across the board. Take each player and improve him each year

Posted by: Alex | February 06, 2014 at 08:15 AM

Exactly^^

kinetic cane: excellent analysis.....but you forgot a HUGE loss (decommit)

2013 - keith Bryant (Delray beach) - FSU - 4 star

how strong can golden be when a 4-8 Florida team out recruits UM?

golden/dnofrio have destroyed UM football.....

fire them immediately.

Coach,

I agree that having Donofrio Is the d-coord hurts recruiting. There can't be people lined up to play for that guy.

Worried,

Yeah, it's a good class, now we have to do something with it. Randy Shannon was also a good recruiter and we didn't make anything happen.

4-8 Florida team has something we don't have that a lot of these kids want right now SEC . That's the popular thing right now Gallo , also the have recently won unlike us , we are on our way back so things will change . How do you think UF would have done under the same circumstances we had over the last 10 years ? Go Canes

The Gators supposedly had the #1 recruiting class in 2010, and in 2013, when that class was supposed to be at its peak, they finished 4-8. Either that was the most overrated class in the history of college football or it is evidence that great recruiting will only get you so far. The key is development of players. You have to start with good players and make them great if you want to win. Golden now has two years of good prospects that he has chosen. Let's see what he can do with them.

If we got every kid going to FSU, UF and Miami we will still stink on Defense.. The schemes that D'Onofrio runs are Pa. State schemes of the 1980-90's. They don't work on today's Offenses. Pa. State was called "linebacker U." because they hit and tackled.. Nobody threw the ball the way they do now and pass coverage wasn't that important. Now its everything. That's why for the last 3 years mediocre QB's look like Manning, Marino etc. when the play the "U". Either fire this guy or get him learn how to coach Defense.. 7-5, or 6-6 this year if nothing changes.

You really won't know who has won recruiting for another 2 years.

Sunny Dee, the best thing that Al Golden has going for him is Will Muschamp is coaching the largest university in Florida. Muschamp is a worse coach than Golden, he has had nearly as many transfers as Golden, with much more injures, and a much harder schedule. That all adds up to a 4-8 record. As bad as Al Golden is, as a coach, Will Muschamp is several times worse.

You mean the better Manning, Eli, right? Not that punk from Sunday who crapped his pants.

Marino and that dude in the same sentence is blasphemy.

that's BS.....the conference that is the future is the ACC......the reason is golden.....he is not viewed as a top tier coach...

plain and simple.....49/49 and not 1 division-bowl or conference title in 8 years.....

kinetic cane- WROOOONGG!!!
Mario Pender was never going to sign with Miami
Nick Oleary was never going to sign with Miami- his granpa is an Ohio state suckeye to the core-no way ol jack nicklaus would have allowed that.
K. Taylor? Are you serious? No way in ---- his daddy fred would have permitted him to sign w Miami.

Most of those "leaks" were not leaks- so please s-tfu

Rick- Your caps mean your a dumb a55. thank you.

Coach Golden- Thank you for a great recruiting class. Good job.

Ga Cane- Agreed- The Offense sputtered and that had a direct impact on the D- Time of possession was horrendous. Thats why we lost to Duke. No question. How can your D sustain pressure when our TOP was so poor? Stephen Morris choked the big salami this year. He played crppy against may teams. Teh O line should not get a pass. They too played horrible most of the season.


Ga Cane- Agreed- The Offense sputtered and that had a direct impact on the D- Time of possession was horrendous. Thats why we lost to Duke. No question. How can your D sustain pressure when our TOP was so poor? Stephen Morris choked the big salami this year. He played crppy against may teams. Teh O line should not get a pass. They too played horrible most of the season.

Posted by: holmie | February 06, 2014 at 12:29 PM
@@@@@@@@@@

Spoken like a MORONIC hardcore D'Onofrio LAPDOG ( Lap Poodle in your case! hUh ) and acolyte and sycophant and yes, APOLOGISTS. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now get back to that denizen of FOOLS at that canespace. Because the vast majority of those Cane FOOLS share the mentality regarding y'all's BELOVED Marky Mark!!

Posted by: holmie | February 06, 2014 at 12:29 PM
@@@@@@@@@

And you ENJOY the big HUMAN, DARK salami stuck up your U Know What!!

Posted by: Sunny Dee | February 06, 2014 at 11:52 AM
@@@@@@@@@@@

N-O... the absolute key was mighty Florida LOST SEVEN crucial STARTERS on both offense and defense last season and that's the MAIN reason why the mighty Gators stumbled to a rare losing season! hUh

Yeah, yeah I understand YOUR and your Cane ILK have that INTENSE HATRED for mighty Florida college football and what not. So bloody what!!


And you ENJOY the big HUMAN, DARK salami stuck up your U Know What!!

Posted by: D
------------------------------------------------------

Anyone speak Jive? Kanye is back.


Either fire this guy or get him learn how to coach Defense.. 7-5, or 6-6 this year if nothing changes.

Posted by: billpr | February 06, 2014 at 12:11 PM

@@@@@@@@@

Au contraire buster. Miami will have an impressive " 8-4 " regular season record. Nothing more, nothing less.

Simply because D'Onofrio is still lingering around in smug Coral Gables and theirs just too many QUESTIONS surrounding the program in 2014, i.e., QB, O-line, D-line, kicking game, adequate depth on defense and the healthy return of THE DUKE, etc. etc.

Kanye is back.
##########

Who he, FOOL!


Kids and their parents and other coaches saw how the season ended and there was nothing that looked promising about the defensive direction of the program....
Posted by: Coach Perry | February 06, 2014 at 10:35 AM

@@@@@@@

Spoken like a Free Thinking, loyal ASTUTE Hurricane fan.

Also, the local coaches in the South Florid TRI-COUNTIES have their absolute doubts about Golden and D'Onofrio's defensive schemes and ploys and what not.

Then, there's the fact that OPPOSING college football recruiter's are pointing out the WEAKNESS of Miami's defense the past three seasons and the FACT that the Canes defensive strength is now OBSOLETE and what not. Huh

And fortunately for y'all Cane hooligans, DE Thomas is a loyal, HONEST young man whom KEPT HIS WORD to the Hurricane football program.

Because DE Chad was very, very, very, very, close to signing with Roll Tide Roll and Nick Saban.


Because DE Chad was very, very, very, very, close to signing with Roll Tide Roll and Nick Saban.

Posted by: D

---------------------------------------------------- --

No hell he wasn't. He is a music major and Miami Frost School of Music is No. 3 of the 10 BEST in the NATION. He ALWAYS wanted to go there and never waivered. He was just being polite going to Bama and the other schools, and also taking in the experience. We have 26 kids who STAYED TRUE and want to help Miami get back.

Well, no more excuses for the D.If we're not much improved by the end of next season then Coach D must go.

Again, UM has never really had a problem recruiting and bringing players in. But if the DC was decent, UM would not have lost all those blue chip defensive recruits.

The fact is, the players who just chose UM will pan out fine individually. But as far as coaching and teaching just basic skills, they will suffer. In a matter of a few more years, the UM football program will be so bad that it won't even be mediocre anymore.

Feeling great about this class we brought in, seems the coaches did a great job of filling needs and creating depth in just about every position.

It's not about the nonsense being argued on here, which goes as far in ridicule as to make lists that are incredibly inaccurate and irrelevant.
It's about how well and hard the coaches AND PLAYERS work to become a great football team.

It's all about the "U".

If we never had a chance to sign this kid and that kid, then why did UM offer them scholarships in the first place??? Is Golden handing them out like candy without having a realistic expectation that the kid is interested??? Lame excuse. I'm sure every kid has a unique reason why they didn't sign with UM but the fact is, he was offered and chose another school.

D - The Gators were struggling long before the injury bug hit them. They were at full strength when they lost to a mediocre Canes team.

I love how you make excuses for the Gators missing 7 players due to injury, but when the Canes had 8 players suspended on the eve the Maryland game in 2011 it was no excuse to you for them to lose.

Do you realize the Gators lost to a lower division team last year? The Gators B team should have been able to win that game. No excuse for that. eh What say duh.

Time of possession has nothing to do with why we lost to duke.

You argument us that we score too quickly!

What are you going to tell the offensive guys to fix that? Hey Stacey Coley, I understand you're a stud and all, but after you juke 3 guys and get in the open field, could you please take a knee?

If our defense isn't good enough to play fast, get a new defense.

And Cody Riggs is the latest one to say "see ya, the stench is just too much for me to take" on his way out the door.

Who's the next contestant on the transfer list for the floriDUH Gatr Trash?

You can't say we would have lost to Duke anyways , Take out a couple of those 3 and outs and who knows what would have happened , that's just a moronic thing to say . No our Def is not good enough but if we could sustain drives and change the time of possession who knows how much difference it would have made . Our off does not get a buy on this , was it defense that fumbled the ball 3 times and caused the punter to kneel down inside our own 20 yard line against VT ?Not excuses just facts , point is their are circumstances that are being ignored by all these people wanting any excuse to say something negative . When you have less 3 and outs you change field position as well as rest your defense , and if defense is the teams weakness as it is ours its a pretty good idea to keep them off the field and out of bad situations with field position . Go Canes

Well, now that all the idiotic recruiting predictions were wrong, the trolls here can get back to beating dead horses with more dead horses. Thanks for repeating the same things everyday so that those of us who don't spend every waking moment here can catch up quick.

Sunny Dee
That top gator class of 2010 was mostly gone or injured last year. The top 3 guys Floyd, Easly and Powell. Only Powell was playing. Elam also in the NFL.
Chaz Green was injured. Gerald Christian was playing for UCF. All those guys panned out. Can't say the same for the top cane class out of Northwestern High, Jacory and company did not pan out.
Your point is moot.
How can the gators land a better class than you in a year that they lost to you and everyone else?
SEC and The Flagship University in the State will overcome even a historically dismal season.
Gator power.

I just want to tell everybody I was sitting here writing and just was about to post, and my phone went off, I talked to Blake James for about 20 minutes, if U don't trust me call him and ask, ( RICK FROM OHIO), I have sent him articles and facts and a lot of bitching, it felt real nice when he said he called me because of the passion I have for DA U. We talked and he let me rant, and he did admit that day after the PSU mess during that conference call, where Al looked like he was fed up with the U and didn't look happy,Blake James admitted that Al didn't handle himself well that day. He understood why I went ranting. He reaffirmed me that Al is 110% with the U, and they had talked. So I am glad that I had the opportunity to talk to him. He said I showed passion and showed that I care about the U, and that's why he had called me back. He said Al finally had gotten the guys he wants on defense. So lets go from there. That's what I am going to do. Basically, what Blake was saying is let's go from here since he has gotten the guys he wants on D. I agree let's see what happens.

gatrs don't even have the power to walk upright, namechanging coward. The team with the most titles and the best academics is the Flagship University, not the team with the most felons and cowardly fans.

ACC - those are good points, but UF also had the number 11 class in 2011 and top 5 classes in 2012 and 2013. My point was that a top recruiting class does not guarantee on-field success. Your Canes '08 class example is a perfect illustration of that point.

As for your point about the Gators landing a better class than the Canes despite their terrible season - good for them. Tennessee had a better class than the Gators though. How do you explain that? The Canes just had their best class under Golden and most of the recruits committed with sanctions looming. On paper, the Gators class was slightly better. The Gators did a great job picking up two QBs who have the potential to be elite at the college level. The Canes also did a great job addressing the QB situation and other pressing needs.

For me, recruiting is important but it is very overrated. Player development is more important. So far, neither of our coaches have done a good job in that area.

I just want to tell everybody I was sitting here writing and just was about to post, and my phone went off, I talked to Blake James for about 20 minutes, if U don't trust me call him and ask, ( RICK FROM OHIO), I have sent him articles and facts and a lot of bitching, it felt real nice when he said he called me because of the passion I have for DA U. We talked and he let me rant, and he did admit that day after the PSU mess during that conference call, where Al looked like he was fed up with the U and didn't look happy,Blake James admitted that Al didn't handle himself well that day. He understood why I went ranting. He reaffirmed me that Al is 110% with the U, and they had talked. So I am glad that I had the opportunity to talk to him. He said I showed passion and showed that I care about the U, and that's why he had called me back. He said Al finally had gotten the guys he wants on defense. So lets go from there. That's what I am going to do. Basically, what Blake was saying is let's go from here since he has gotten the guys he wants on D. I agree let's see what happens.

Ga,

We scored 30 points and produced 565 yards of offense and you still think the offense is to blame for not possessing the ball long enough?

31:59 was our time of possession, that's almost 4 more minutes than Duke.

The true problem is that our defense can't hold. Take out a couple of 3 and outs of any game played and you change the result.

How about you point that finger at the defense where most of the blame for that game belongs in this case. When you give up 6.9 yards per rush, you are the problem.

I specifically said the defense was not good enough but we still had several 3 and outs , and we were missing our best offensive weapons so the outcome could have been different . What about the VT game? Defense was not not the cause of that game . Their are circumstances in each game and not as cut and dry as it's the defense . Go Canes

Here is the proof he called me, I missed the first call, I called him back and he did not answer, then he called me back.... https://t.co/2mot03SdDa

I am not Al's_used_cars anymore on twitter, I am back to my original name Canesgolden, if U wanna see the pic of my call log just see my tweets from 2 - 6 - 2014 or type this https://t.co/2mot03SdDa

I just want to tell everybody I was sitting here writing and just was about to post, and my phone went off, I talked to Blake James for about 20 minutes, if U don't trust me call him and ask, ( RICK FROM OHIO), I have sent him articles and facts and a lot of bitching, it felt real nice when he said he called me because of the passion I have for DA U. We talked and he let me rant, and he did admit that day after the PSU mess during that conference call, where Al looked like he was fed up with the U and didn't look happy,Blake James admitted that Al didn't handle himself well that day. He understood why I went ranting. He reaffirmed me that Al is 110% with the U, and they had talked. So I am glad that I had the opportunity to talk to him. He said I showed passion and showed that I care about the U, and that's why he had called me back. He said Al finally had gotten the guys he wants on defense. So lets go from there. That's what I am going to do. Basically, what Blake was saying is let's go from here since he has gotten the guys he wants on D. I agree let's see what happens. Call log from my phone https://t.co/MDQBHI4wwi

At a big time school like Miami...the fans want championships...Does Miami have the talent to win it all?..questionable..Our Al Golden and staff good enough coaches?...depends on who you ask...The defense in the first year was decent but then MIami did lose quite a few D-lineman...How about the offense taking a big step back last year and the DEFENSE actually carrying the team at the beginning of the year..I thought the O-line was going to dominate but they came up short..I now losing Duke hurt but the offense really collapsed and the defense was exposed by being on the field to long...I know this is a tough time especially with Florida State looking so good but lets give this team..coaching staff and players one more year and if they dont win at least 10 time to make changes

Ga Cane --you are a breath of fresh air who is looking at the whole picture...Rick--you are entitled to your opinions but I think you did underestimate the talent that Randy shannon left and the NCAA cloud..You are also right in that there are no more excuses..I believe it is more than just Mark D but COLEY a new offensive coordinator making calls for the first time and ART KEHOE came up short...The offense should have been better and the O-line looked lost at times especially vs Louisville..GOTTA WIN AT LEAST 10 or someone has to go..No more excuses and lets SUPPORT who is ON the TEAM and stop bitching about those that got away!!! NOTHING BUT LOVE and SUPPORT for the U

I think we need to recognize that a lot of the four and five star athletes in south florida are in very poor public high school programs where poor intelligence would have these kids on the street if it wasn't for football. This lack of intelligence manifests itself on the field, where defensive schemes are mostly press man coverages and nothing more. Unless you are part of an exceptional and rarely seen public high school or a good private program where money is spent on the assistant coaches and the kids are smart (St. Thomas Aquinas, Gulliver ), where the complexities of the offensive and defensive schemes run.
Then add a lack of discipline, and the poor quality of education, which lets these kids slide thru, and they cant make it at a place like UM. Guess why Valentine went to LSU?
So why take em? It is more and more apparent that Golden and his staff want it all, physical, mental, discipline, and intelligence. Just in case anyone wasn't looking, one of the first things that causes draft picks to crash and burn in the NFL is the lack of intelligence in being able to understand a playbook. Too many overrated high school stars have been dumped from the program in the last three years due to these very factors.
Ah, one last note. AG commented how impressed he was with Kaaya and his ability to manage the huddle.
WTF huddle is he referring to ? The one where OL have to look the QB in the face and communicate with the others on the line and the QB....where the QB is a leader and motivates and communicates with everyone on the offense? Oh yeah, we never develop five offensive lineman who learn to work with eachother every play, instead shift them constantly so they can say they started. That and the shotgun snap where the left guard looks back to the qb, turns to face the dline and taps the center on his left thigh to snap the ball.
Only the people in the restrooms cant tell you when that is coming. Wonder why we are beat off the ball every snap play? How can the line fire out as a unit?\
Enough said, same old problems, year four now.

Just back in country and talked to Blake James. He confirmed Rick is full of it and he's never talked to the foo.

Proof little girl https://t.co/2mot03SdDa

Proves zero delusional ricki

The comments to this entry are closed.