A landmark 1921 East Little Havana bungalow glows anew as a new home for an environmental group, thanks to preservationists.
From Saturday’s print edition.
BY ANDRES VIGLUCCI
For 40 years, Rolando and Mercedes Alvarez lovingly tended their elegant, gabled Miami bungalow, a 1921 landmark sitting atop a slight rise roughly a long touchdown pass from the Orange Bowl -- until, aging and in declining health, they agreed to sell to a developer who planned to tear it down.
Saturday, the Hubbard-Alvarez bungalow at 138 N.W. 16th Ave. -- now an official historic landmark named for the two families who occupied it, and lightly converted to office use -- begins a fresh life.
Its new owners, Citizens for a Better South Florida -- a nonprofit environmental education group that focuses on underserved communities -- will establish its headquarters in the bungalow. The group's leaders hope the restored house will become a beacon of possibility for the struggling neighborhood around it.
Preservationists hope the bungalow restoration will inspire others to save the city's neglected and dwindling stock of bungalows -- of which the Hubbard-Alvarez is one of the crown jewels because of its soaring, stacked gables, which resemble a bird in flight.
Read all about it here.