GAINESVILLE -- Florida’s bats were held quiet against Virginia, but the Gators brought the thunder Tuesday night, ending Miami’s season with a bang to stave off elimination at the College World Series.
The Miami Herald’s George Richards wrote the gamer from UF’s 10-2 win in TD Ameritrade Park.
* UF smashed four dingers, including the three longest homers ever in the stadium. Peter Alonso's blast traveled 421-feet to straightaway center.
* The four long balls were the most in a CWS game at TD Ameritrade Park.
* Florida left fielder Harrison Bader became the first player since 2008 to leadoff a CWS game with a home run.
* The Gators outscored the Hurricanes 25-5 in two games in Omaha.
* UF has won 21-of-26 over UM, including eight consecutive postseason matchups. In a related note, Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan has never lost to the Canes in the NCAA Tournament.
* Florida ended Miami’s season for the fourth time since 2009.
UF is now set for a rematch with Virginia on Friday (3 p.m., ESPN2). UF must beat UVA twice to advance to the CWS Finals after losing to the Cavaliers 1-0 on Monday evening.
Follow me on Twitter @JesseReSimonton