InternetCoast released its 2014 analysis of R&D expenditures at Florida’s colleges and universities
The Florida Academic R&D Highlights 2010 – 2014 Report analyzes Florida R&D expenditure trends by institution and Enterprise Florida Region, including sources of funds, R&D personnel, and R&D expenditures in the fields of science and engineering. The report benchmarks Florida with other states using two metrics: R&D expenditures and R&D expenditures per State GDP. The report also benchmarks Florida academic institutions with more than 500 U.S. academic institutions.
According to Dale Gregory, executive director at the nonprofit InternetCoast, “2014 R&D expenditures were at their highest level in ten years. The University of Central Florida and University of South Florida had record R&D expenditures in 2014, accounting for 89 percent of Florida’s increase from 2013. The good news is that there are significant opportunities to increase R&D funding from Federal agencies, through partnerships with the private sector and nonprofit organizations, and improvements in R&D funding per R&D personnel.”
Report Findings For 2014:
- Florida R&D expenditures increased 5% to $2.3B, compared to a .3% increase nationwide. Florida R&D expenditures ranked 9th compared to other States.
- Florida total R&D and science and engineering R&D per State GDP continued to lag other States, ranking 41st and 44th respectively.
- Florida academic institutions employed 32,449 people in R&D functions, ranking 9th nationwide.
- Productivity of Florida R&D personnel decreased in 2013 and 2014. Compared to other States, Florida ranked 24th in 2014 compared to 21st in 2012 and 2013.
- The University of Central Florida and University of South Florida had record R&D expenditures in 2014, reaching $186M and $497M respectively.
- Seven Florida academic institutions ranked in the top 200 U.S. institutions based on total R&D expenditures: UF (26), USF-Tampa (41), U. Miami (65), FSU (84), UCF (105), FIU (131) and FAMU (199).
The Florida Academic R&D Highlights 2010 – 2014 Report is available for download at the Florida Innovation Highlights portal at icoast.com. InternetCoast also analyzes venture capital, tech workforce and SBIR/STTR trends in the state.
- Submitted by InternetCoast