Hey there UM hoops fans...the season is right around the corner.
Coach Jim Larranaga met with the media today to fill us in on what's up, and here's what you need to know:
1. Ivan Cruz Uceda is a new man! Last season he weighed 237 and had 24 percent body fat. Today he is a svelt 217 lbs and only 9 percent body fat! "He is faster, quicker, stronger and will be a better Ivan than he was last year.'' (Writer's sidenote: I need to go see trainer Steve Felde!!)
2. Angel Rodriguez missed a week of training after getting his wisdom teeth out, but he's fine now, ready to go.
3. Asked about Oklahoma St transfer Kamari Murphy, Larranaga replied: "Love him!'' He went on to heap praise on Murphy's defensive skills, rebounding and ability to learn.
4. Where does he see UM among ACC competiton? "The league is very deep. We're not above the crowd, but we're in the mix.''
5. Davon Reed? "Getting better and better at everything.''
6. JaQuan Newton? "Has really improved his free throw shooting.''
7. James Palmer? "Will be competing for a lot of playing time. I see him more as a 2 or 3.''